New PVR interface garbling closed captions

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

New PVR interface garbling closed captions

So I hate the new PVR interface for the Nextbox. I have a lot of issues with it, many of which I can hopefully get used to, but what I cannot get used to is how it garbles captioning on certain channels. Anything recorded on TCM, for example, is garbled. I've attached a screenshot for reference.

Any ideas?001.JPG

***Edited Lables***

I've Been Here Awhile

Re: New PVR interface garbling closed captions

Oh, yeah, I hate the new PVR interface as well, like you, I have the same problems with closed captioining in some channels as well..

On old pvr system, no problems at all... With new pvr, PROBLEMS for cc...COME ON ROGERS!

I am this close to changing to Bell after being a 30 year Rogers customer

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just potentially so this can be passed on, if a rogers MOD passing the info on.

Is it ONLY on recordings and not live?

Just that specific channel?

I've Been Here Awhile

For me, it's both...during live shows and recorded shows...

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Yes, this issue exists only within recordings. I should note also that this issue wasn't present before this update about a week ago.

It's also affecting shows on CTV.

I'm an Advisor

Escalate this to technical support via telephone or Twitter @RogersHelps, especially since you have a screenshot. You can also try to escalate to TCM at http://www.tcm.com/contact-tcm.html. TCM might forward the issue to Rogers to get it some attention. 

I Plan to Stick Around

I have the same issues!

I have an NB3 box and Navigator in Toronto. I am hard of hearing. I've always struggled hearing TV dialogue cleanly and so rely on CC for all viewing. I have CC on all the time while watching TV and consequently have CC on by default when recording to the PVR.

Prior to this upgrade - I virtually never had any problems with both live TV nor Programmed shows (except when a small budget show on a minor channel did not support it. I think the law has changed somewhat?!

Now, any RECORDED show from CTV (8) / TCTV2 (20 ) only shows garbled and broken "CTV" over and over again as dialogue!

Also TVO (2) is spotty with  certain shows but not others.

Unfortunately I do not have TCM so I can't comment on that channel.

Take crare. RS

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@rickschlau wrote:

I have the same issues!

I have an NB3 box and Navigator in Toronto. I am hard of hearing. I've always struggled hearing TV dialogue cleanly and so rely on CC for all viewing. I have CC on all the time while watching TV and consequently have CC on by default when recording to the PVR.

Prior to this upgrade - I virtually never had any problems with both live TV nor Programmed shows (except when a small budget show on a minor channel did not support it. I think the law has changed somewhat?!

Now, any RECORDED show from CTV (8) / TCTV2 (20 ) only shows garbled and broken "CTV" over and over again as dialogue!

Also TVO (2) is spotty with  certain shows but not others.

Unfortunately I do not have TCM so I can't comment on that channel.

Take crare. RS

Same here!

Garbled CC during watching recorded shows.

Don't get me started on the procedure to even enable CC (switch to live show and back).

Prior to Navigatr, no issues.

Thank god I've only been on it for a week.  I don't know how some people put up with this garbage since July!

I Plan to Stick Around

The worst thing is I work Evenings so I have to record everything primetime every night . A lot of the shows I have been watching are on CTV. So, because I need CC because of my hearing problems all these shows have become useless to me to see. So, ergo, my Rogers TV has just become useless to me.

I have been using a media streaming device for about 8 months, along with all my Rogers services just to see if cutting the cord is a viable option. Well, guess where I am probably heading more seriously now. And CC works just fine on it.

Take care everyone.

I've Been Here Awhile

Isn't Rogers DOING anything about the garbling closed captionings? it's getting worse. It was just with CTV, now its on CBC & CH.

IT Iis truly not fair for us, the Deaf and Hard of Hearing people who rely totally on closed captioning. Rogers is breaking AODA Act. 

Hearing people take for granted and not have to worry about cc. 

Last night, I ordered a movie from Rogers on Demand movie called, "12 rounds 3: Lockdown", first on SD, cc didn't show up, so I re-ordered the same one on HD, same thing no cc... I am FED up of having always to call Rogers to explain about two same movies and they remove it so that i wont be charged for those movies. I always have to call rogers everytime for movies that cc didnt work, I do not appreciate that. I want the samecrights that others who CAN enjoy the movies.

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

I want to go back to the old pvr interface before this new pvr interface SCREWED cc up. 

The Deaf Community who uses Rogers wants to be given the options of either old pvr or new interface.

please FIX it or remove the new pvr interface, its not working.

i want to watch tv.....