New Nextbox Navigator

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: New Nextbox Navigator

Apparently in order to switch to Bell Fibe I also have to change my internet from Rogers to Bell.  A bit of a pain, but if can tolerate Navigatr for a couple of months, guess I can deal with changing over these two services.  

Rogers if you are planning to rectify this situation say so, the fall programs will be starting soon and I want a reliable user friendly system to record and watch my programs

I'm a Trusted Contributor

@Hcoates wrote:

Apparently in order to switch to Bell Fibe I also have to change my internet from Rogers to Bell.  A bit of a pain, but if can tolerate Navigatr for a couple of months, guess I can deal with changing over these two services.  

Rogers if you are planning to rectify this situation say so, the fall programs will be starting soon and I want a reliable user friendly system to record and watch my programs

Reliable, AND User Friendy?   Afraid Navigatr is 0 for 2 on that.

I'm a Senior Contributor

@Hcoates  I am by no means an expert on this so please double check for yourself, but I have read that it is possible to get Fibe TV with 0 Internet.  Then, because Rogers is Cable for internet, you could leave cable internet in place.

Here is a link from Digtal Home that describes how one person achieved it.  Granted, getting through to the right person at Bell could be complicated.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/2194417-post155.html

I have been researching this for some time, because if I switch to Bell because of all the Rogers issues, I want to run both in parallel and I cannot find anyone at Bell who can tell me what wiring I would need to add inside the house to do this.  The only way seems to be to sign up for Fibe and then talk to the installation team.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

took a peek at that thread.. and yeah is what i suspect.  They STILL had bell fibe internet.. it was just a insanely low package for free that ONLY the TV was using.

Fibe is TV over IP, over the internet.  Its usage is not 'counted' as regular internet usage.. but its still the transport medium for it.
So yes, would still require Fibe for internet overall.

Fibe runs off the phone line into the house.. and off their modem/wireless, etc for its devices.. so shouldnt have any issues..

Other than running the two wifi could cause its own interfearance.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If your home is fairly new, within the last 10 to 15 years for example, it might have structured wiring installed, which is a cable bundle that runs to each room from the Structured Wiring Cabinet in the basement.  That bundle consists of 2 RG-6 cables for Satellite or Cable, one Cat-5e ethernet cable for data, and one Cat-3, possibly Cat-5e for telephones. 

If you have that in your home, you could run two independent cable systems within the home, up to the receivers at the tv.  At the TV it would be a matter of having enough HDMI inputs or combinations of inputs to give you access to both tv providers.

The internet could be handled by using a Load Balancing Router, or a Dual Wan Load Balancing router, however you want to call it.  This has two WAN ports for two different data sources or ISP services and would simply plug into the existing home network on the LAN side of the router.  You wouldn't know which portion of the data came from which source as the router handles all of the IP manipulation.

Externally you would need a second cable feed, or cable and Fibre feed to the home.  If its fibre from Bell, that connects to an Optical Network Terminal (ONT), which then connects to your internal home network, or possibly the cable system as well.  I'm not sure how the ONT feeds a bell tv receiver.  Yes, they do wifi tv, but my question is, can the ONT connect to a normal cable system.  I think getting the second feed into the home is probably the hardest part to accomplish.  Once its in the home, its up to you to run the distribution system.

I'm a Senior Contributor

@Gdkitty  The OP was saying that they would have to switch to Bell internet from Rogers if they went to Fibe TV.  I was just pointing out that they don't have to drop Rogers for internet, and don't have to pay for Bell internet (and not use it for browsing, etc.).  Although both devices will be TCP/IP, the Rogers intenet box and the Bell Fibe TV box will have different IP addresses and will be on separate physical networks.  You just have to make sure you don't interconnect them.  The same sort of problem occurs if you connect the Nextbox ethernet port to your home network.

You are correct that there could be wifi conflicts, especially if using Bell wireless TV terminals rather than using wired TV terminals, and I don't have a suggestion as to how to resolve them without going ahead and installing Fibe myself and figuring it out, although I would love to hear from someone who got it to work.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

@lensman wrote:

Now that Manage My PVR is back on rogersondemand.com I have taken to walking over to my computer, logging on and using THAT to search, record, erase, all my favourite shows. Yes - I have TWO lists again - Recorded and Scheduled!! And no freakin' TILES!

How perfectly ridiculous is that - having to sit down at the computer to do something on my TV?  And yet this is EASIER than trying to do it through the remote and Navigatr!!

I mentioned that on the "my guide & manage my pvr missing" thread that if the Navigatr infection is ever rolled out to us (and I assume it will be because Rogers shows no inclination at all to listen to their customers), that we would be using the Manage My PVR feature on a much more frequent basis than just when we travel. The Manage My PVR on rogersondemand.com is much more user friendly and reliable than anything provided by Navigatr, based upon what I have read. As stated by @neilpalmer400Reliable, AND User Friendy?   Afraid Navigatr is 0 for 2 on that.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Who would have thought that a company could screw up a cable box interface so badly that it's easier to schedule recordings using the Internet?  What about all the customers who don't use the Internet much, just Facebook on their phones, or people who don't have Internet?

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I Plan to Stick Around

lensman - Thank you for mentioning how you use rogersondemand.com. I had never used this & wasn't aware of what it was all about. Due to your post I have now investigated it & will make use of it similar to what you are doing.

Like you said, our 2 lists (recorded + scheduled to record) are both visible there in a similar format that we had pre-Navigatr and those ridiculous tiles aren't there muddying the waters.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Thanks for including the URL for the web interface. After 4+ months Rogers still cannot work out why the iPad/iPhone app cannot connect for me. This web interface does appear to work although I can't tell for sure since attempting to delete two programs at the same time has apparently caused my box to crash ... <sigh>.

For those who don't instinctively click on the PVR usage %age icon in the upper left (not the most intuitive of places!) that is what you have to click to get to the aforementioned lists of recorded and scheduled programs. Unless you realize this you will be left gazing at the TV schedule. 

P.S. Does anyone know how to make that show only channels that you receive?