New Nextbox Navigator

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: New Nextbox Navigator

Thanks for taking the time to read about our frustrations. We know that nobody intentionally went out of their way to make our lives more difficult when trying to relax at home. However, may I suggest some ways to make us happy:

1. Do not spend time creating tutorials and videos but instead, make the functionality better (at least make it as good as the previous software). Most people that have been users of Nextboxes (in general) are savvy enough to understand how to use a PVR even after an upgrade. If you need to produce a tutorial and/or video, there is something wrong with the entire upgrade.

2. Get to the low hanging fruit now: font size, readability, navigating around recordings, show length of recording instead of time remaining, reduce the amount of clicks required to get to basic features.

3. After you have fixed the bigger issues, carry out a post-mortem on what went wrong! Was a beta test or focus group ever carried out? If it was, how did we end up with this mess? I would recommend inviting everyone within this blog to be your testers before the next upgrade. If these folks took the time and trouble to point out the weaknesses in the upgrade, they are obviously passionate about their TV experience and would, probably, be willing to beta test for you so that they can avoid another mess.

4. Give everyone that received the upgrade an apology and some kind of customer loyalty recognition (points, refund etc,). Most people are willing to forgive if they receive a sincere apology and are less likely to leave at the next opportunity. Bell is more than willing to snap us up!

I Plan to Stick Around

LOL! I know you are being serious, but I also appreciate the humour. Thanks.
I'm an Advisor

@Scraps wrote:

Thanks for taking the time to read about our frustrations. We know that nobody intentionally went out of their way to make our lives more difficult when trying to relax at home. However, may I suggest some ways to make us happy:

1. Do not spend time creating tutorials and videos but instead, make the functionality better (at least make it as good as the previous software). Most people that have been users of Nextboxes (in general) are savvy enough to understand how to use a PVR even after an upgrade. If you need to produce a tutorial and/or video, there is something wrong with the entire upgrade.

2. Get to the low hanging fruit now: font size, readability, navigating around recordings, show length of recording instead of time remaining, reduce the amount of clicks required to get to basic features.

3. After you have fixed the bigger issues, carry out a post-mortem on what went wrong! Was a beta test or focus group ever carried out? If it was, how did we end up with this mess? I would recommend inviting everyone within this blog to be your testers before the next upgrade. If these folks took the time and trouble to point out the weaknesses in the upgrade, they are obviously passionate about their TV experience and would, probably, be willing to beta test for you so that they can avoid another mess.

4. Give everyone that received the upgrade an apology and some kind of customer loyalty recognition (points, refund etc,). Most people are willing to forgive if they receive a sincere apology and are less likely to leave at the next opportunity. Bell is more than willing to snap us up!

Guess we'll know on Aug 4 th if Rogers is scrapping the Navigatr.

But in case they follow Scraps exellent recommendation, a couple more simple fixes:

When a progam starts recording , make it the most recent (so its on top of the chron list) rather than leave it buried somewhere in long list of recordings and to-be-recorded.  Contrary to my earleir posts, this system does put a red circle in the box/tile when a program is recoreding, but it does not pop it to the top till after the recording is finished.

Get rid of the box/tiles till you figure out something useful to do with them 

We like the list format and the tranparencey to see as well as hear whatever is on in the background.

I kinda liked the ability to choose colours in the old old Scientific Atlanta PVR ( SARA?)  

Easy to do, user friendly and a homage to a truly great machine for its time.

I'm an Advisor

@neilpalmer400 wrote:

Scraps,

They may POSSIBLY have HEARD about focus groups and beta tests, but they obviously don't actually USE them.

Maybe Rogers spells focus a bit differently 😉

I Plan to Stick Around

@Scraps wrote:

...Bell is more than willing to snap us up!

Hilariously, I recently switched from Bell, and I was already preparing a letter with suggestions to improve the previous, and now sadly lamented, interface.

Obviously, I'm not a big Bell fan, but their PVR / TV interface was already significantly better than Rogers' before this latest embarrassment - easy to read, more intuitive controls, fewer button-clicks, and better program descriptions. As an example, Bell's PVR is smart enough NOT to record multiple copies of the same show if it's repeated - once it's recorded a show, future airings of the same show are skipped automatically. And channel order -- don't get me started!

The interface is exactly that -- the customer's point of contact with the product. It's more important IMHO than the actual functionality, since a poorly designed interface frustrates and annoys your customers every time they use your product.

I Plan to Stick Around

You are just too funny. I like the dry sense of humour.
I'm an Advisor

Last night we watched the Big Bang Theory recorded on Thursday eveining,

but the closed captioning would not work.  It tried, spewing the odd letter there and there.

(CC works for other recordings)

Then I relaized its a great new feature, since we are typical Big Bang addicts

and can recite the dialogue almost by heart !!

I Plan to Stick Around

I'M NOT JOKING!!!!!

I Plan to Stick Around

...although I *do* see the irony, of course...

I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Navigatr: list of recordings

The new Navigatr is a disaster. Try this: Whilst playing back a recorded program, try and activate closed captions. Oh, and try and bring up a list of any "Reminders" you may have activated. Rogers motto: "If it ain't broke we'll fix it until it is."