New Nextbox Navigator

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: New Nextbox Navigator

Hi Everybody.

I thought I would pass along to you all what I've heard from the Rogers tech help people over the last few days.  I've been in touch with them a lot because if a problem I've had with my PVR about not being able to play recordings (a problem described in another post in this forum about 'having to constantly reboot your PVR to play recordings.')  According to one tech person, Navigatr 'should' fix that specific playback problem.

Another tech person told me that Navigatr is NOT Rogers choice, but the choice of the company Rogers has contracted with to write the PVR interface.  And apparently, there were 5 major bugs with the download of Navigatr sent out to PART of ontario on July 28.  Those have apparently been fixed (in an update sent out to those specific areas), but there will NOT be significant changes to the way Navigatr looks and 'feels' when it is sent out to the rest of Ontario.  And the rest of us may get Navigatr - MAYBE in a month or so.  (but take that ESTIMATE with a grain of salt.  Apparently, the tech support phone agents have not been told WHEN the rollout of Navigatr to the rest of us victims will occur.)  So DON'T take that date as any sure thing.  It's a total guess by ONE Rogers tech person.

And again, to copy someone who said it so well, 'when our PVR's become INFECTED with Navigatr.'  Smiley Happy

I've Been Here Awhile

• i dont' have the New Navigatr Guide yet.  how do I get it

If they told the reps when they were going to roll out Navigatr to infect the rest of the province everyone would book off vacation or sick time - leaving Rogers Executives to fill in on the phone lines.  That would be Karma.  Smiley Very Happy

@dxh44  Trust me - dxh - you DON'T want the new Navigatr guide.  But it will be rolled out to the rest of NB2 and NB3 PVR's in Ontario in the near future.  And when your PVR is infected with this virus - remember - I told you so.

@neilpalmer400  Neil - funny you mention that - the tech I spoke to said they went on vacation July 29th!

I Plan to Stick Around

dxh44 - Like billmacintyre already told you, you DO NOT want the new Navigatr system. It is 25 big steps backwards. There is absolutely nothing good about it that you would want. Instead a lot of very useful features that you now have would be gone.

I've Been Here Awhile

so how do we stop it?
I'm a Senior Advisor

Apparently there is no stopping it. It's out of Rogers' hands and being developed by Cisco, the box manufacturer.  All Rogers can do is report required fixes and ride the tsunami.  The set top box division of Cisco was recently sold to Paris-based Technicolor, making it even more complicated, because contracts would have been frozen and locked in as a condition of the sale. When Rogers says they can't roll back the onslaught of Navigatr, it's because they have no control over it.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

@dxh44

Based on everything I have read, Navigatr does not appear to be going away. I have been following this whole escapade since the first rollout back on July 28. Rogers reps both here and on Facebook have stated very clearly that Navigatr is here to stay - though nowhere do they actually provide us loyal customers with an explanation as to the WHY. This is the question everyone wants answered but for the most start we are not getting one. I think there is a clue based on @billmcintyre post above "that Navigatr is NOT Rogers choice, but the choice of the company Rogers has contracted with to write the PVR interface."

Further speculation about the new Navigatr guide was also provided on the Digital Home page. The poster noted the following. "That company would be Cisco. It's probably part of the deal with Technicolor.  Gutting of products and company resources often accompany business acquisitions. There may be some encumbrance on the old guide software, such as a licensing deal or pending legal issue, that Technicolor does not want to be saddled with. The end result is that customers get screwed so that Cisco and Technicolor can improve their bottom lines." I think he may have something there.

It is interesting to note that the sale of the customer-premises equipment business by Cisco to Paris-based Technicolor was announced in the same month that Navigatr was scheduled to begin the roll-out! 

I Plan to Stick Around

Glad to see "passing the buck" is still alive and well!

@iris42 I doubt there is a poster on this thread who would not be happy to see the demise of Navigatr. You are correct though. We contract for our services through Rogers - not Cisco or Technicolor. Rogers is ultimately responsible for the services that we receive (and pay for). Rogers should therefore be responsible for making things right!