New Nextbox Navigator

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm an Advisor

Re: New Nextbox Navigator

The new NAVIGTR seems to be almost unusable in the one area area where its supposedly targeted.

Namely - NEXTBOX PVRs and manging recording and recording shows.

It is extemely challenging and confusing to find ones recordings.

Mingling recorded and future scheduled recordings is a BAD idea.

NAVIGATR wastes a lot of screen-space by putting each in its  own BOX,

It seems there are only 2 ways to scan through to find ones recordings (alpha and chrono, sort of, maybe )

with very nonintutieve way to flip-flop between methods. 

And there is no info about which channel it reecorded from.

I often have 70+ shows recorded or saved, so navigating easily through them is important.

Please give us a guide or tutorial showing how to things the old way and how to do the same with new NAVIGATR.

PLUS : I checked earlier tonight to see if a progam (Amazing Race) was scheduled to be recorded. It was.

But when the time came it did not record it. Guess I'll have to check out all scheduled recordings.

I'm Here A Lot

I have just received the new Navigatr Guide and it is the absolute worst thing Rogers has ever forced us to use. It is not at all user friendly, it is twice the work to see your recordings, there does not appear to be any way to see upcoming scheduled recordings, I have repeatedly set it to list recordings alphabetically and it does not hold that setting, I have to reset every time I go into Recordings. Where you have multiple episodes recorded and you click into that show, you cannot see at a glance the date of the recordings. You have to go into each individual recording, one at a time. The list of recordings won't "page up or page down"; you no longer have the option of listing recordings by title or by channel or by PVR; in fact you no longer have ANY options.

Seriously, put the old guide back! This is so unuser friendly I seriously would rather switch to Bell than continue with this guide!

I Plan to Stick Around

I thought the Nextbox 3.0 was the worst thing ever invented by Rogers. This new Navigator tops all of their crazy ideas. The font is to small - you cannot read it. All of the programs that were previously in folders have escaped and are everywhere. No idea of what order they were recorded in. Can't see what is scheduled to be recorded by date. When you alphabetize the recorded programs it will not save and you have to re-organize every time. Programs will not delete after watching. Absolute junk. I do believe it is time to move on to another service provider. Someone was actually paid to develop this mess???
I Plan to Stick Around

If you cannot see what is recorded by date and you have more than the 4 alloted programs scheduled how do you know which one the system will delete if you are not home or cannot previously check?

There must be a fix added for this.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

ipalrosic wrote:  
2.1. Settings > System > Channel to Start Up  : the actual value used will be one less than set in the System Settings e.g. setting the starting channel to 24 will cause the receiver to "wake up" in channel 23. This is tested with values 24 and 25.

3.3 With recording selected, the Watch and Delete buttons are right beside one another - making accidental deletes very easy to happen  - made worse by lack of refresh after the recording is deleted; you can press watch button over and over again for the already deleted recording

Regarding your 2.1: on my 8642HD w Navigatr, "System" -> "Power On Channel" is what I see. I had mine set to "Last Channel Viewed", but just tested it by changing the selection to a channel (inc 23, 24, 25) and then hitting [EXIT][EXIT][POWER] to back out and turn off the box. Then [POWER] to turn on, and it turns on to the channel I just set.

Try rebooting and see if it still has the issue, perhaps?

Regarding your 3.3: althoug "Delete" is directly below "Watch", clicking on "Watch" will immediately start playback of the recording while clicking on "Delete" brings up a prompt that says "Are you sure you want to delete this episode of ______?" [YES | NO] -- making accidental deletions considerably more involved than I thought when reading your complaint. I will concede that "YES" is selected by default --- which is poor UI design because the default selection is a destructing & irreversable action [I mentioned this back in 2013 and again in Jan 2015, see here - although my Idea Box idea was implemented in January (and carried over to Navigatr, when [REC][REC] is pressed), the safeguard was ignored, much to my dismay].

Also regarding 3.3: I tested this by pressing [REC] on live tv to create a recording, then after a few seconds, pressing [LIST], navigating to the folder, [OK][DOWN][DOWN] "Stop Recording" [OK] [OK](on "Yes"), [DOWN](to "Delete")[OK], [OK](on "Yes"), and the white banner saying "Deleting.." appeared and then it kicked me back out to the main Saved screen.
I was going to post "works for me", but I then changed channels and repeated the test. This time, it did as you described: said it was deleted but stayed on the Episode Folder screen, with "Delete" still selected. I could go [UP][OK](to "Watch"] and watch the episode. I then tried Deleting again, and it deleted properly. I then repeated the experiement and it worked properly. So verified glitch, but inconsistent replication.

I'm an Advisor

How do I watch a program which is being recorded ?

I like to start watching a program a few minutes after it actually starts.

Then fast-forward thru useless stuff and get to end at the same time the progam actually ends, live.

This new NAVIGATR makes that very difficult to do.

From what I can figure out, it does not let "play" a recording till after its finished and its BOX gets listed.  

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@krap wrote:

How do I watch a program which is being recorded ?
This new NAVIGATR makes that very difficult to do.

From what I can figure out, it does not let "play" a recording till after its finished and its BOX gets listed. 

There are a number of bugs involved with the display of recording items (the folder things), but as it is, it is pretty straight forward:

- [LIST] -> look for an item with a red dot.

- Navigate to it, [OK|SELECT]

- "Watch" (on right side) should be selected. [OK|SELECT] to start watching.

I've Been Around

The new Navigatr looks nice-ish.  There  has been some thoughtful UI changes that I like ... like a semi-transparent banner page and a recording progress bar that is slim.  However, PLEASE add some needed UI changes ASAP:

Recorded shows - Allow us to sort by Name, Date, Unwatched

Record progress bar on playback - nice to show on the right how much time is left, but on a 3 hour show (like the Today show), I like to see above the progress "dot" how long into the show the playback is at --- like 1:15 tells me the marker is at 8:15 am (from a 7am start) -- better yet, offer an option to show the actual recording time??

Appearance - could you provide more options as to what and where things should appear on the screen?  For example, the progress bar at the bottom ... perhaps others may want at the top or even up/down one side -- it sometimes interferes with the viewing when you have a freeze frame or slow-mo of action where the bar is.  Having an option to select how LONG a to display  banners , bars would be nice -- having to press exit to kill a banner/bar is annoying.

We like the new look, but the UI really needs some emergency fixupps before the rest of the Rogers subscribers get it .. else you are gonna tick off a LOT of users ... you cannot afford that.

I Plan to Stick Around

The new guide is a study in how to screw up something that worked fine!

Aside from the cosmetic changes of the progress bar, the entire UI is far worse - in every respect - than the previous one, at least how I use my PVR.

Let's see, daily routine:

1. As I cannot trust that my scheduled recordings will actually record a program on a given night, I used to press List twice and see what will be recorded today. Nice list with complete title, day of the week, time, length and so on. Page down to see 6 more lines. Easy as pie.

So, how do I achieve this with the "Enhanced" UI ??

2. I then usually set one-time recordings for the night, such as movies. So, press Favorites, go right to 8:30 and see prime time. This is the same with the EUI, but not having the old one any more, I can't put my finger on it, but the EUI just looks like a wall of text and I am not seeing the titles and program length as clearly as before. I see no improvement in this guide.

3. Next logical thing is to press List once to get back to my recorded list...page down to the oldest program I have not watched yet (I often leave movies for when I have enough time to watch them), press Select and Play.

So, how do I achieve this with the "Enhanced" UI ??

The new and "improved" Search:

In the old UI, we entered letters on a 6x5 grid - I think. So to go to any letter from the center was much closer.

Now we have two rows, A-M and N-Z. To go from A to M it takes 12 key presses.

Care to count how many key presses it takes to enter Amazon ?

Of course, the result list still contains entries that I have no idea why they are there. The title sure does not match what I typed in.

This UI will put a sour taste in my mouth every night I sit down to watch TV. One day it may make me puke and Rogers can then say goodbye to the $200/month that I pay for services.

PS: Before someone tries to explain to me how to do the above things, the questions were rhetorical, as I know it can be done - it will just take forever. 😉

I'm a Senior Advisor

I have noticed that there are a lot of users speaking up on common issues, there has been a few comments by community experts, but moderators, and any feedback from Roger's itself except for reference to the issues with the Nextbox 2.0 deletion of recordings and holding back on the rollout, we are hearing nothing so far that our concerns are legitimate, that someone is looking at them.

There has been limited presentation of step by step workarounds on how to do things in the new model, in particular around listing recordings and future recordings that are highlighting that there are some ways to do what we could do before, but they are very awkward, and in some cases important steps of the past are not even available.

Just an observation.  I can live with what is there, it is awkward, but it has made the PVR feature almost unusable in terms of playback, managing future recordings, and easily finding our recordings and recordings of series versus individual recordings.

This absolutely has to be taken care of.

BS