New Nextbox Navigator

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm an Advisor

Re: New Nextbox Navigator

@gregneff wrote:

The cable contract for our condominium high-rise is almost due for renewal, and I'm on the Board of Directors.  I doubt that Rogers would want to lose this bulk contract, but I could be wrong.  My recommendation to the Board will depend largely on how Rogers handles this situation.  So far the only response I have seen to me has been to edit one of my prior posts, citing lack of courtesy.  I wish I had been given the courtesy of keeping my Nextbox in its prior properly functioning state.  It's not to late for Rogers to reverse this, if they should so choose.

Our condo renewed recently and added a clause that we can cancel at any time.

(Remind Rogers how long your condo has been under contract.)

Technology is quickly changing and who knows what options will exist in the next few years. 

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Jack22 wrote - 'Does anyone out there have updated info as to when Rogers will be addressing the thousands of complaints about the new Nextbox Navigator?

Is anyone from Rogers actually reading our posts?

How long will we have to fool around with a service that we are paying dearly for until a fix happens?

I think its time they sent out a Bulk e-mail to all of their subscribers to talk about this disaster!!!'

How about a weekly discount from Rogers - until fixed - for every poor schmuck that has had this "new and improved" UI jammed down their throats?! What do you think - should I hold my breath waiting?

I'm a Trusted Contributor

@DCBW wrote:
Well that's what I mean. If it was a case of beta being installed, Rogers could have done another update the following day at 2am during the regular update time with the correct version and be done with it. Or did an unscheduled update whenever they notice the problem. I realize this would make too much sense and why its not happening.

That's why I'm seriously afraid that this IS the version of code that someone thought was ready to release.

Again showing how little testing Rogers does before releasing things. 

There are PLENTY of people on these forums who would have volunteered a few hours of their time to play with the new code and give their opinions at a focus group meeting BEFORE the code was released.

HOWEVER, my understanding is that WAS done prior to releasing the original RTN code that replaced SARA back in early 2012. 

The general feedback among the test group back then was there were a lot of bugs and the code was NOT ready to release to paying customers. 

Guess what?  Rogers went ahead and pushed it out anyway. 

I received that first general release of RTN on 2012/05/10.

It wiped out ALL my recordings. 

It wiped out all the start early/end late settings for all my scheduled recordings.

It removed a LOT of very useful features we had become accustomed to with the SARA code (several to this day have not been reinstated).

It was full of bugs (some of which to this day have STILL not been fixed, over THREE YEARS LATER !!!).

History repeats itself.

Some people never learn lessons from history.

Several of those people now seem to be employed as Rogers executives.

Unfortunately they have the power to make certain decisions.

One of those decisions will now lose Rogers many thousands more customers.

If they continue with this Navigatr rollout without some serious redesign work, followed by thorough testing, and approval from CUSTOMER focus groups (not from employees who may be afraid to speak their mind as they may think their continued employment is dependent on blind cheerleading for the emperor's new code), that will easily reach the tens of thousands.

Their ONLY hope is to eat humble pie, cancel this ill thought out "enhancement" and revert to a working version of RTN 5.1 - followed by a sincere apology to ALL the customers who received this disaster - NOT just the few (well, looks like a bit more than a "few") who complain (we are the TIP of a very large iceberg).

I'm a Reliable Contributor

MAYBE some of the concerns raised here can be addressed by users taking the time to learn the new UI but from my own use and that of others here I can see that it is NOT simply a matter of getting used to a new interface. IT JUST DOES NOT WORK!

When are we ever going to have someone from Rogers  come out here and tell us like it really is and admit that they screwed up?

@lensman wrote:

Jack22 wrote - 'Does anyone out there have updated info as to when Rogers will be addressing the thousands of complaints about the new Nextbox Navigator?

Is anyone from Rogers actually reading our posts?

How long will we have to fool around with a service that we are paying dearly for until a fix happens?

I think its time they sent out a Bulk e-mail to all of their subscribers to talk about this disaster!!!'

How about a weekly discount from Rogers - until fixed - for every poor schmuck that has had this "new and improved" UI jammed down their throats?! What do you think - should I hold my breath waiting?

lensman - do NOT hold your breath waiting.

I'm sure you have family who love you and wouldn't want to see you pass away.

I Plan to Stick Around

I think the beta testing and focus groups was done by Bell. I bet they are drowning in saliva over there waiting for the big switch. I know I'll be going if this isn't fixed soon. The fall season starts soon and this contraption will not cut it.

@lensman wrote:

MAYBE some of the concerns raised here can be addressed by users taking the time to learn the new UI but from my own use and that of others here I can see that it is NOT simply a matter of getting used to a new interface. IT JUST DOES NOT WORK!

When are we ever going to have someone from Rogers with a real pair of you know what come out here and tell us like it really is and admit that they screwed up?

lensman,

It's a long weekend.

They're all out at the cottage.

At the cottage you can't get cable TV, so they are all happily watching Bell Satellite TV.

IF Rogers DARES go ahead with the original schedule and roll out this disaster to Ottawa, Grand River area, London, St. Thomas, Woodstock, Strathroy and Tillsonburg around 2am August 4, then by the time they show up at their desks around 9am Tuesday this fire is going to be so big they will never be able to put it out.

@Jack22 wrote:

Thousands and thousands of complaints.  My husband and I were out and about and everyone in our immediate area of the restaurant was talking about this horrible mess.  Can you imagine how many people are enraged about this that do not know they can express their opinion here in the forum.  Rogers probably thinks that the people on the forum are the only ones complaining.

There have been many studies of customers and complaints, and I'm sure SOMEONE in Rogers management must be familiar with some of these.  The customers who take the time to complain are only the tip of an iceberg.  Very few dissatisfied customers complain to a company directly, for various reasons from not wanting to be confrontational, not knowing how or where to complain effectively, to not caring to waste their time - especially when calling in to customer service and hearing of very long wait times to speak to a representative (sound familiar?).  Some studies estimate only somewhere from 1% to 8% of customers bother to complain directly, but this silent majority do complain to other people (friends, relatives, fellow employees, etc.).  Some studies show they will tell on average 10 others about service or products they were unhappy with, and on average those 10 will tell 5 others.  So for every dissatisfied customer who doesn't complain to a company directly, 50 others will hear of their bad experience by word of mouth.  The customer who complains to others about a product or service will then often simply change to a different company/vendor/supplier.

Now, taking those studies into account and seeing how many HAVE complained about Navigatr (on this Rogers Forum, and the  NAVIGATR UPDATE **WIPED MY DRIVE** forum) imagine how many dissatisfied customers are just going to tell others (not just personally but including complaining on both Rogers and non-Rogers forums where the entire world can see the level of dissatisfaction) and then simply change to another supplier.  One forum I saw stated Rogers was losing 3,000 customers a day (admittedly without quoting their source for this information).  This was posted a few days BEFORE Navigatr was released, and on that same forum someone else predicted the then upcoming Navigatr release would be a disaster.  Imagine how many customers Rogers is going to lose over Navigatr so far, yet alone the crowds that will be banging on the doors and windows of Bell stores to sign up for Fibe TV if Rogers dares go ahead and continue this rollout.

Now, you would expect to see some serious damage control from Rogers PR team on this, including public apologies.  The silence is deafening.  Did they all just take an extended weekend and go to the cottage?  And where is any mention of this in the mainstream media?  Totally non-existent so far as I can (not) see.  Could that be because a huge percentage of media in Canada is now controlled by Rogers & Bell, and maybe there is some sort of gentleman's agreement between them not to gloat over the other's misfortunes?  All play nice and help keep the happy duopoly in power?

And all the while Rogers senior management fiddles while Rome burns.

I've Been Around

Why? That's really what I would like to know. Is there some clever bankruptcy plan in the works or something?

I was not thrilled with the menu & guide when I first turned on my new NextBox a year or 2 ago, especially losing the ability to organize recordings in the order anyone would actually watch them in... Some of us record several episodes before watching them... But at least when it ended or you stopped the playback it would stay on that episode and give you the options of what you could do with THE SAME EPISODE.

This Navigatr is something else. Eliminated are the few things that made it comparable to the old system before NextBox was brought into our lives.

- The very functional automatic menu for the episode just watched. Lost 2 of the newest recordings thanks to this.

- Any real function for the page up/down button

- Saving filter settings for Recordings... Saved settings for alphabetical filter 8 times today. Haven't even turned the thing off and it keeps reverting.

- No more checking the movie/episode info while in playback, pauses and takes you to the main list page. No info.

- Lists no longer loop back to the top.. only thing that prevented me from total frustration with the sorting of recordings.

- Then there's the icons without the option for list view, and all the illogical results of it. Several shows are showing as multiple separate icons.. But are named exactly the same.

Those of us who work for a living and pay for luxury items such as cable, obviously prefer functionality over new and flashy. With so many similar complaints, I really hope you're paying attention. Either bring back the old format, or include the functionality and user customization for us to choose our own interface. Because quite frankly, if this continues, once my current contract is up, I'll finally throw in the towel after 20 years. A luxury service that costs this much should NEVER deliver such levels of frustration!

I Plan to Stick Around

@krap wrote:

@gregneff wrote:

The cable contract for our condominium high-rise is almost due for renewal, and I'm on the Board of Directors.  I doubt that Rogers would want to lose this bulk contract, but I could be wrong.  My recommendation to the Board will depend largely on how Rogers handles this situation.  So far the only response I have seen to me has been to edit one of my prior posts, citing lack of courtesy.  I wish I had been given the courtesy of keeping my Nextbox in its prior properly functioning state.  It's not to late for Rogers to reverse this, if they should so choose.

Our condo renewed recently and added a clause that we can cancel at any time.

(Remind Rogers how long your condo has been under contract.)

Technology is quickly changing and who knows what options will exist in the next few years. 

That is an excellent tip in general.  We normally make sure there are termination clauses in our contracts, but this needs to be checked.  I will make sure it does, if we renew.