New Nextbox Navigator

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: New Nextbox Navigator

@jinx8910  Thanks for the feedback and glad that you got some benefits from what I learned today.  I was aware of the stop method too, just forgot to mention it. There are just too many workarounds to get what we need to keep track of anymore.  I think that we the forum users have trial and error tested the whole box one issue at a time, and the designers and programmers could learn a lot by just sitting down reading this thread. They could do tutorials for all of this, but I think if a high level customer oriented programmer read through these, they could find what works well - write the tutorial for those, and what just have no logic and will always create problems for the next user to figure out - those need to be changed.  I can hope anyway.  I was a programmer and designer once in my career (now retired) and a designer of curriculum modalities for training on the job, and in the end of my career as an elementary teacher.  A small piece of advice having been a teacher though.  Always think from the head of the learner/user and try to meet their needs as best as possible and if it is clear why you can't, then it is the teacher's responsibility to educate the learner/user why it has to be this way and to support them to get there.  When we have to do it on our own without clear information, support and direction, the natural reaction is anger, frustration, and sometimes just give up (change companies is the way we give up), cut the cord is another way we give up and they are all available.  I don't want to give up, so for now, I am just going to enjoy my binge  watching of Humans on a long weekend and hope for a better week.

All the best everyone.  BS

I Plan to Stick Around

TY Hassam Can you confirm if the rollout has been stopped to a) fix glitches in the system such as PINs being required with no other improvements or b) to address the loss of functionality issues raised here and to then rollout a better UA
Retired Moderator RogersHassam
Retired Moderator

Hello @User2014,

Unfortunately we do not have any details yet. As mentioned before, we will certainly provide an update as soon as we get one ourselves. Customer feedback is very important for us and we are certainly aware of the known issues with Navigatr. 

RogersHassam 

I'm an Advisor

Guess what?  Rogers legally does not need to fix anything.

They can just keep rolling on, wiping out NB2 hard-drives as they go,

while frustrating the rest of us.  

Here is section 27 from Rogers Terms of Service !

Not applicable to Residents of Québec: To the maximum
extent permitted by applicable law:
the Rogers Parties do not guarantee or warrant the
performance, availability, coverage, uninterrupted
use, security, pricing or operation of the Services, the
Equipment or any products, content, applications, services,
facilities, connections or networks used or provided by us
or third parties (collectively, the “Offering”);
you bear the entire risk as to the use, availability, reliability,
timeliness, quality, security and performance of the Offering;
and
the Rogers Parties do not make any express or implied
representations, warranties or conditions, including
warranties of title or non-infringement, or implied
warranties of merchantable quality or fitness for a
particular purpose, with regard to the Offering

FYI - For the full document, see:
I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you Hassam
I Plan to Stick Around

You are kidding....right! As if we are concerned about your role. Do you think we are going to wait around to read your articles to fix this?
I've Been Around

I agree with several other users. The interface to managing recordings does not seem to allow managing scheduled recordings as easily in the previous guide. I think you need to seriously look at adding scheduled recording management to the new interface.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

@krap wrote:

Guess what?  Rogers legally does not need to fix anything.

They can just keep rolling on, wiping out NB2 hard-drives as they go,

while frustrating the rest of us.  

Well that works both ways.  We don't legally have to remain Rogers customers.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Navigatr: FULL STEAM AHEAD 😞

Preface to this post:

1. The whole point of Navigatr, at least from Rogers' Marketing Department's perspective is that Navigatr was supposed to be an *enhancement* over the User Interface the previous generation of PVR Guide software provided.
  2. Prior to Navigatr launch, posters here (and elsewhere), myself included, were identifying obvious issues with Navigatr , based what was visible in promotional videos Rogers had recently put out. That said, the videos appear to have been made in March of 2015, so we hoped in the months between March & July when the videos were posted, all obvious issues would have been addressed.
  3. As a Wikipedia article explains, the stages of general software development are: 1) Pre-Alpha [requirement analysis, software design, unit development(testing of individual routines)]; 2) Alpha [first phase of full software testing, checking interaction of routines with each other, adding/modifying features as needed, stage ends when software is feature complete, but with known/unknown bugs]; 3) Beta [bug identifying/bug fixing, usability testing and correcting as needed]; 4) Release-Candidate ["no known show-stopper bugs", but code can be changed/improved such as for bug fixes. No new features will be added at this point]; 5) Release.
  4. In the hours and days since Navigatr''s launch (on limited-basis), the Rogers Community Forums' "TV" forum, which Rogers provides for its users, has been indundated with complaints from customers about Navigatr's:
    - many many bugs, the most serious of which was drive-wiping on some/many 8642HD PVRs
    - clear lack of adequate bug & usability testing
    - poor overall design (virtually all screens - Menus, Guide, Search, Recordings)
    - loss of abilty to perform basic tasks that a PVR should provide (such as view upcoming Scheduled Recordings, choose which channel/timeslot a program found via Search will record)
    - loss of other features and functionality compared to previous UI
    - inconsistent layout/required action/result from screen to screen - resulting in an untuitive, unfriendly and un-impressive experience
    - adds very little/no overall improvement - new Mini Guide & narrow Playback Bar and redesigned Settings/Menu layouts are inconsequential enhancements, almost everything else (the important stuff) is either little different or a step backwards. It's not just a matter of "People are resistant to change - customers will get used to this, after a while", Navigatr is just not good!
  5. Customers were told at some point this week that the Navigatr launch HAD BEEN STOPPED.
  6. We know from the Community Forums that many customers have voiced their displeasure to Rogers, through various channels (Tech Support, 'Contact Us' form, telephone, the Rogers Community Forums).
  7. I used the "Contact Us" form on Tueday evening to write a letter to Rogers, imploring them to forward my message to whoever was responsible for the Navigatr project and to urge them to stop the rollouts of Navigatr immediately, not only because it was seemingly wiping some customer's drives clear of all previous recordings, but beyond that because.. all of the points of #4, above - it should not have been considered "release-ready". I can't see exactly what I wrote because they don't send you a copy after you hit Submit, but I stressed that I am far from alone making these observations and feeling that in its launch-state, Navigatr is a step backwards and that is clear to customers that as Rogers approved this release of Navigatr to the public, then their understanding of what the customers needs, wants and expects from their PVRs is WAY off base; as such if Navigatr is to be a product that customers are suppose to enjoy, rather resent, using - then they need to postpone further rollouts immediately and bring in a willing user(/s) (such as myself) to sit down with the Navigatr team and show them screen by screen what is wrong and why. A reply message was left on my phone on Wednesday afternoon, simply saying "I'll try again tomorrow, in the day".

Main post:

At 3PM on Friday afternoon, having received no further follow-up regarding the letter I sent on Tueday, I chased down the person who'd left the message (no Dept or # given) through the assistance of someone in the Office of the President  (who was in fact the 3rd person in the O-of-the-P I'd contacted as the first 2 had already left for the long weekend).

Unfortunately, the person who was responding to my letter was NOT in the Navigatr team or higher, he was merely in "E-Management" - which I assume means he deals with Contact Us from enquiries & complaints. A bit disappointing, but not the end of the world, as I -- wrongly, of course -- assumed that he would might be relaying some feedback from the Navigatr team (or higher) after they'd read what I had to say.

In any case, you would expect that in the almost 4 full days since the Navigatr launch, someone whose job it is to respond to Contact Us escalation requests would have sought or been furnished with some detailed answers about the botched Navigatr launch and its many issues - so that they he'd properly be able to handle customer's complaints, questions and concerns. Nope..

In our 20-minute conversation, here's what I learned:-

1. Despite being aware of "some criticism", Navigatr rollouts are NOT, I repeat *NOT* stopped. I was told not only have they re-started but, quote: "THEY WILL NOT STOP THEM".
  2. "The Navigatr team is aleady working on the bugs". ("Why only now?", I wonder)
  3. Despite what I'd already written on Tuesday and told him just seconds/minutes prior, this representative of Rogers minimized the issues with Navigatr saying (paraphrased): "It's just minor bugs, nothing serious.. to be expected when new software comes out"
  4. He had no real information that could answer any of my questions about the design-team and management-level decisions that led to Navigatr being released in the condition it was.
  5. He does not read the Rogers Community Forums and therefore was oblivious to the scope and seriousness of many of the bugs and usability issues/complaints
  6. He actually wondered out loud why I hadn't said anything nice about Navigatr. (Duh, anything "good" doen't require addressing).
  7. Rogers is NOT interesting in having a "hero" (his words) come in and show them what, in their non-expert opinion, they don't like Navigatr.
  8. He (at least initially) thought the 6x ROD + $15 bill credit compensation offered for the drive-wiping/Navigatr "issues" was fair.

Conclusions:

- Despite the constant refrains of "We take customer feedback very seriously", they'd clearly don't.

- They actually believed Navigatr, as is, is an enhancement (no, they didn't just accidentally release an old buggy version.. . !)

- They expect us to sit back and wait while "the bugs" (which ones?) are fixed

- Business as normal, these things happen.

I'm an Advisor

To: 

Touche !