New Nextbox Navigator

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: New Nextbox Navigator

@RogersGabrielle

While you are 100% correct in that things can get a little off-topic, you must also be able to understand that the frustration that Navigatr is causing and the refusal of Rogers to listen (I mean REALLY listen) to their customers is causing a lot of customer dissatisfaction. This dissatisfaction is logically leading customers to look at alternatives - be it OTA or on-line streaming or Android boxes. With the tolerance that Rogers has had so far in this 158-page thread, I think a little more leniency would be in order. 

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Rogers is doing A LOT of advertising lately.  They're pushing a deal on bundled services to grab new customers, and they're pushing their sports packages, but the advertisement that gives you that funny feeling in your tummy is the one that says: "Now, you can find new shows faster than ever before.  New Navigatr guide for Nextbox.  It's TV enhanced."

And then they go on to brag about how you can delete a whole series of shows from your PVR "with two clicks."  (I guess they don't want to talk too much about how some people had ALL their series deleted. Smiley Happy  )

But it is already easy to delete a whole series of a show.  I don't know how many keystrokes it takes, but aren't there MANY things that now take MANY MORE KEYSTROKES to accomplish - and are now unintuitive, and awkward and a pain to accomplish?

Oh - and I hope no other thing I own gets "enhanced" by the company I bought it from.  If car companies 'enhanced' a vehicle the way Rogers enhanced the Nextbox with Navigatr you would soon have to pullover and pop the hood to turn on the windshield wipers.

Community Manager (Retired) RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)

@JohhnyRockets

We welcome your comments, questions, and expertise.  We also understand the frustration you refer to.

However, in order to keep things in order in the community, we ask that everyone keep discussions on topic.  In this case, that means keeping the discussion related to Navigatr.  If you need a refresher, please see the Community Guidelines.  

Thank you for keeping the community a pleasant place to be.

If you have any questions, please PM me.

Update - 1/8/2016: To all users who have posted in this thread, we are cleaning up the language in this thread. Offensive language will be removed.  Please refer to the Community Guidelines and PM me if you have any questions.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@KWoo wrote:
@Mister_A
I use the page+ on all my recordings, both standard and HD. There are times when it doesn't work but there's no pattern......and thankfully it's infrequent. When I find the remote getting "funky", I reboot the box and then cross my fingers that I don't lose any recordings when it comes back on!

There is a pattern. If you're on a radio channel like say channel 941 before starting to watch a recorded programme, then the 3-minute skip will not work because skip doesn't work on radio channels.  If you're tuned to a regular channel when starting to watch a recorded programme, then the skip will work.  It's the same on RTN.  Since I never tune to the radio channels, my skip always works.  Page- gives you a 3-minute skip backwards, for those interested.

I have no idea why the channel you are tuned to affects how you can watch a recorded programme, but then there's a lot about Rogers' firmware that is "flaky".  Why would you have to leave a recorded programme to turn on CC in Navigatr for example.  There are many more bugs as already listed in this thread.  For a summary from August see:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

A few of the items in this summary have apparently been fixed in the latest roll-out, but very few!

I'm an Advisor

@stoneball wrote:

I discovered a kludge to the fav/subscribe channels view problem! That is to not use the fav button at all. Just set your guide to subscribe and then when ever u use guide, subscribe chs will come up AND if u press guide again u get your fav chs. so u can toggle back and forth between subscribe and fav channels using guide button.

BUT if u ever touch the fav button again, the ability to toggle in guide diasppears.... and will need to be reset

Ill be making an instructional video on this shortly 8>)

You really should make the video !

And please include how to get cc on/off when watching recording.

BTW on Navigator 1 toggels are correct  and do not mess each other up.

i'e.      favkey   toggles fav then guide

and guidekey toggles guide then fav

I Plan to Stick Around

57 wrote:

There is a pattern. If you're on a radio channel like say channel 941 before starting your recording, then the 3-minute skip will not work because skip doesn't work on radio channels. If you're tuned to a regular channel when starting a recording, then the skip will work on your recording. Since I never tune to the radio channels, my skip always works. Of course, Page- gives you a 3-minute skip backwards, for those interested.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't often watch the radio channels either so I had to check it out and, as you said, no page+ fast forward. Oddly enough, if you tune into a Stingray music station (like channel 730) and then switch to watch a recording, the page+ fast forward still works. Not sure why......just another oddity of this enhanced viewing experience!
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@KWoo wrote:

Oddly enough, if you tune into a Stingray music station (like channel 730) and then switch to watch a recording, the page+ fast forward still works. Not sure why......just another oddity of this enhanced viewing experience!

Stingray channels have been SDV (switched digital video) channels since May 2012, therefore they "perform" like regular channels and you can record them, etc. The "Radio" channels are sent/handled differently.  RTN firmware performs in an identical manner, so this is not specific to Navigatr.

I Plan to Stick Around

Oh goodie! Another Navigator 1.0 (or should I say Navigator alpha0.0.1?) issue:

Hasn't Rogers been telling the world how easy it is to delete a series in a couple of button presses?  Read on...

Tonight I decided I'd like to delete the "Mr. Robot" series. I browsed into the tile of 6 new episodes and selected the option to delete all recordings. I was then sent back to the tiles screen where, first, the tile changed to indicate only 5 recordings and then it disappeared altogether. But wait, if I just deleted 6 hours of recordings, why did my PVR usage only drop from 10.5% to 10.3%?

I decided to launch Home Edition on my phone to have a look and guess what...drumroll...6 episodes of "Mr. Robot" are still being reported as being on my PVR. Naturally, I tried to delete via the app. First attempt the app just crashed. Subsequent attempts resulted in success messages but the recordings remained.

Summary: I have 6 hours of recordings sucking up space on my PVR with no way to delete them. So much for making it easier to delete series.

Can I just say again how much I'm going to enjoy watching the blowback when Rogers tries to share this with the rest of their customer base?

Sent from my iPad, a device that actually works.

I'm a Senior Advisor

"Tonight I decided I'd like to delete the "Mr. Robot" series. I browsed into the tile of 6 new episodes and selected the option to delete all recordings. I was then sent back to the tiles screen where, first, the tile changed to indicate only 5 recordings and then it disappeared altogether. But wait, if I just deleted 6 hours of recordings, why did my PVR usage only drop from 10.5% to 10.3%?"

Stored recordings are compressed.  That could account for a smaller space savings than you're expecting.

I'm an Advisor

@Lurker wrote:

"Tonight I decided I'd like to delete the "Mr. Robot" series. I browsed into the tile of 6 new episodes and selected the option to delete all recordings. I was then sent back to the tiles screen where, first, the tile changed to indicate only 5 recordings and then it disappeared altogether. But wait, if I just deleted 6 hours of recordings, why did my PVR usage only drop from 10.5% to 10.3%?"

Stored recordings are compressed.  That could account for a smaller space savings than you're expecting.

NB3 storage is ~120 hours of HD  So 6hrs/120 hrs is ~5% PVR usage and 1/120 < 1%

Looks like you deleted at most 1 program.