New Nextbox Navigator

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: New Nextbox Navigator

@neilpalmer400 @OLDYELLR @Mister_A

We have all been at this for a while and we stilll have our sanity (sort of) in this insane world of Navigatr - Yes, I do think I will stick to that name.

Neil - You nailed it down perfectly. Wonder if they will have it fixed by April.

I was also going to do a car analogy - I have a GM impala that was just recently recalled because they had finally confirmed a seven year old problem that lies in the Throttle Assembly, which is recommended to be check regularly, and replace at around 80,000.  Your local mechanic will know that there is a problem with the throttle assembly.

Well seve years of cars were recalled - it was shorting and throwing error reports ranging from air bag issues, to autotrack and various other ones.  The reason it didn't show on some cars is because people had actually had the throttle assembly maintained or repaired.

So they call you back and replace all throttle assemblies and then refund any costs related to the error.  Now fighting for the refund - why - we didn't have the payment receipt (the visa receipt) because it got torn off the bill, even though the bill/invoice was stamped paid with  a date on it, so we now have dug out our Visa Bill from 24 months back (good thing the bank kept it online that far back - slight dig intended there), and then took it back to them to finally be able to send off for the refund (will arrive in 6 weeks to 6 months depending upon load).  Gee thanks a lot. By the way, the error could also put the car into low power down and bring your car down to around 25 km per hour.  Real fun on the 401 just as you accelerate onto the fast lane - fortunately few cars on the road - and that was a brand new rented car.  The rental company knew about these errors - yet GM had not found it for 7 years.  Sounds a bit like the long history of boxes all the way back with various errors and when they fix something, something is lost, or new errors come, or the error is never fixed and is inherited by the next boxes.

But as an aside, my new update on strange confusing things that create user errors - I learned today that if you delete a watched show from a scheduled series that has not got the next weeks recording there, when you click delete, the tile sits open, with delete sitting there.  I have learned that I have to escape, then you will get out and the tile disappears until the menu catches up with the recordings - suggestion - code "if recorded series exists, but no menu item, place unknown future show - will appear on menu update"  There has to already be a set of if then statements to design the layout of the data on the tile, so when they get around to fixing things (if they even are, who knows), put the additional if then in, or preferrably, heard this before? Take us back to the old software - and yes, why can't they push the old software out to us rather than full factory reset - you know the version going to the other areas - unless, you have completely changed the underlying code and the factory reset that wipes all access to recordings is taking it back to the orginal builds on the box when it was shipped, and the current old updates get pushed to the box, where as for us the new builds get pushed.

And I also learned that due to this tile menu item sitting there, once in time, I clicked delete three times, finaly exited, opened the next new tile in error, saw it looked the same again (sorry, didn't read that miniature text to realize that I was on a new tile - I was tired - up at 2:00 at night - yes I know that hassles of the 2:00 update issues too well, and yes, why didn't someone think of - delay update until I turn the box off - uhh duh, software designers have been doing that for years).

So I ended up deleting two shows in error before I realized what was happening.  It is only yesterday that I clued into the fact that if there are no future recordings that when you delete, it sits there, until you escape - ever heard of the principle of designing user interfaces, make the actions consistent and the same look always, so you don't lead to unintential errors or excessive calls for support, or even lost business because the user just buys another software.

Nope I don't think so, Rogers is hiring people who don't take into consideration that users may be on 100% view on Chriome not 75% (that is the default setting of 100% by the way). So you can't see the print/view bill button - for along time, tell us to check cache, cookies, try another browser, go to IE11, right when the new Windows 10 came out and Edge was default, so you have to figure out how to use legacy IE11.  Typical answer by support, we don't support windows 10, sorry.

Using old secuirity certificate models, leaving expired certificates (you will find one on the home phone voice mail page where they have a link for a tutorial on something - dead certificate) - do remember that page only works on IE11.

Rogers One number, not programming for new versions of Android on some models, and the list goes on.

Am I cynical about Rogers support and understanding of customer needs or inconviences, when they cannot even be proactive on known issues NPAPI being one of them, known upcoming issue since over two years ago - Even Microsoft knew that when they removed it on Edge - it is a dead and unsecure protocol, yet Rogers is ok with risking the security of our computers, connected to their networks and servers.  If not for us, do it for yourselves.

So a bit of an anaology, a clarification on the disappearing tiles, and no future recordings issues - emphasize, move slowly and don't trust ever that you think you know what is happening - and a general set of supportive issues to support the statement by Neil

"

You know, the really annoying thing about this isn't that Navigatr is, well, Krap, it's the total lack of any communication from Rogers management (Ron P. WHERE ARE YOU ???) on what they are doing specifically to fix the problems, what problems they are going to fix (and what ones they aren't - are they keeping people waiting around for a half-baked "update" that is only going to correct 50% of the issues, or what?), and A SINCERE APOLOGY AND OFFER OF DECENT COMPENSATION FOR THIS MASSIVE UNTESTED PILE OF GARBAGE THEY FORCED ON THEIR CUSTOMERS.

Toally lacking ANY of the above, you can pretty much determine what Rogers thinks of us, their customers, and how little they value them.  Smiley Mad"

Actions speak louders, and the lack of action on these issues, really does support the last statement.  And we don't eve get the respect of words, we get silence.

Done for today - have a good day, my long term fighters for our rights as consumers of rogers cable services.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

@BS, @Mister_A, speaking of car analogies, Rogers with Navigatr could be in a similar situation as VW with their TDI etc.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Regular

Navigatr is so confusing, how do you turn on captions with this software?

Rogers shouldn't force users to be beta testers and just abandon them like this.

Anyway here's a thread that was helpful for this problem: http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

It's practically hidden.

Retired Moderator RogersHassam
Retired Moderator

Hello @Tmothy12,

To turn on closed captioning: 

> Press info when you are on the desired channel

> Press "more"

> Go to the closed caption icon

> Turn on

Hope this helps. 

Thanks, 

RogersHassam 

I Plan to Stick Around

@Tmothy12
One word of advice.....if you want closed captioning on a recorded program, you need to turn it on before you start watching the recording. Otherwise, you have to stop the recording, go on to live TV, turn on CC, and then resume your recording.

Also, to find CC in the first place, you have to click on "More" after clicking INFO and then scroll through the options. It's not very intuitive!
Highlighted
I'm a Regular

@RogersHassam Those are the instructions for the old guide. but I found a thread anyway so it's fine.

@KWoo Yes, it should be an easy thing to turn on from any mode. Not hidden away.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Tmothy12 

There are numerous threads about the navigtr, the related anyplace TV app to use from computer or smart phone to work with PVR, various how to videos that explain most of it, but don't acknowledge the items that actually don't work, such as save order of sorting, no ability to turn off More like this in the settings, although it is there, FAQ article highlights some things with a vague reference to the things that are not working or not there right now and they are improving and I am sure it can be confusing for those not on the box when Navigtr information comes up and visa versa and how to's.

It is a bit of a dog's breakfast finding the information this thread makes it almost impossible to find anything you may be looking for - almost needs to be a thread all by itself of discussions about how to use the product.  Maybe they should sit down and move all the references to how to work around problems and convoluted steps to get something to work, how to understand how to use it in the most efficient ways - call it Navigtr - trouble shooting and tips.

There was a thread a while back about tips from Navigtr uses on how to set series recordings, but the tips ended up this one.

But then again, may as well just keep them here, you can't easily find any of the other threads anyway.

Wonder how much longer we have to live with this mess.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

Too kill a bit of time while I wait, I have been going through help search for Navigatr, and any how to and other help categories that show us ways that it really doesn't work, I have been indicating that it didn't provide a solution, and I added the features that don't work (e.g., it says that you can turn off recommendations, doesn't tell you how, but also even if it did show you how to do it in settings, you would find that it doesn't turn them off anyway.)

I may go through each of the threads and summarize what we know on each of them too.

When you are required, somewhat trapped at home, have insomnia often, have to do something to kill time besides swearing at my settop box or writing constantly in the thread on New Nextbox Navigator (I spelled it wrong when I originally posted).

Bruce

I'm an Advisor

@BS wrote:

Too kill a bit of time while I wait, I have been going through help search for Navigatr, and any how to and other help categories that show us ways that it really doesn't work, I have been indicating that it didn't provide a solution, and I added the features that don't work (e.g., it says that you can turn off recommendations, doesn't tell you how, but also even if it did show you how to do it in settings, you would find that it doesn't turn them off anyway.)

I may go through each of the threads and summarize what we know on each of them too.

When you are required, somewhat trapped at home, have insomnia often, have to do something to kill time besides swearing at my settop box or writing constantly in the thread on New Nextbox Navigator (I spelled it wrong when I originally posted).

Bruce

@BS

Please don't continue to torture yourself with all that soon to be wasted effort?

Rogers has promised to fix all the krap in Navigatr within the next 10 days !

Save your energy for 11 days from now,

when we see if incompetence continues or sanity finally prevails.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi @OLDYELLR,

@OLDYELLR wrote:

@BS, @Mister_A, speaking of car analogies, Rogers with Navigatr could be in a similar situation as VW with their TDI etc.

Nice try, but actually, it's the exact opposite -- while it was probably not a real smart thing to do from a PR perspective, the VW programming DID WHAT IT WAS SUPPOSED TO DO, AND DID IT SO WELL THAT NO ONE NOTICED FOR 6-7 YEARS!!!!!

By contrast, Navigatr (and why, BTW, just leave out the 'e' -- think how much time could be saved by leaving out all the vowels...) doesn't work, and it was obvious from about Day One that it was a gigantic piéce du fromage, if you know what I mean.

I can't wait to see the brilliant fix the boy geniuses at Rogers have in store for December!!! Perhaps they'll come out with a smaller version and rename it 'Aviatr'?!?

Regards,

Mr. A