New Nextbox Navigator

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: New Nextbox Navigator

What a morning with this Navigator!  Scheduled recordings from yesterday did not show up. I have rebooted 2 of the boxes twice but they did not appear.  Any suggestions?

Also, while watching  a recorded  program from last week, the play and pause buttons seem to be on a 5-10 second delay before working.  When you push fast forward it keeps going until the very end and you have to start over.

Last, but not least, when unplugging the main box to reboot, the clock remains showing and it will not shut down to reboot.

Anyone else come across these issues?  Help, Sunday is ruined again by this dreadful box!

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@Jack22 My wife tells me that scheduled recordings of a series she's watching did not record. Don't know what date she's referring to, but yep, Navigatr saga continues.

I'm a Senior Contributor

@Jack22  The only way I have found to avoid the missing recordings is to check the guide every day and take action on any scheduled recordings that have dropped.  I have all my series scheduled as <all episodes> <any time> so that I don't lose recordings because of a time change in the schedule, but even that does not prevent some shows from dropping.

The only possible cause I have not been able to prove is that if the spelling of the title in the guide changes, then maybe it is considered a new series and is not recorded.  I have had "The . Executioner" drop the recording two weeks in a row and had to reschedule the series both times.

I use the web Manage PVR and the tablet app to compare the scheduled recordings for my two 9865's and both boxes have dropped recordings. 

I experienced the delay on play/pause last night, but my results were worse than yours.  After fast forwarding through commercials, play did not seem to take effect, as the show continued in FF.  I hit play again (maybe multiple times in frustration) and the playback stopped and took me to live TV.  When I went back to play the recording, it had not saved my place, and I had to start from the beginning.

As for the power off, I have my boxes on switches, so I don't have to unplug anything or risk unplugging the wrong plug.

I don't understand the sudden rash of issues.  I managed to get through the summer without major issues.  I didn't like Navigatr, but I managed to change my behaviour to minimize my frustration.  Now, I am hitting issues every day.  I checked the firmware versions and they have not changed.  The only explanation is that now that the new season has started, I am recording many more shows and my disk utitlization has gone from 10% to over 20% ( and will probably increase even more).  If the code errors start to increase with volume, then we are going to face more of this over the next couple of months until the hiatus around the New Year.

I cannot yet reproduce the problems, so there is no point in reporting them to Rogers.  They will b e flagged as an "isolated incident" unless I can show how to make it happen.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Oh if only Rogers had followed Cogeco's path and switched to Tivo as the main PVR ... 

In over 8 years of Tivo usage I had far fewer problems than I have had in 8 weeks with this abortion of a system. Not to mention the multiple features I have lost like Wish List recordings, two week long schedules, access to recordings deleted in error (as long as disk space has not been used) - boy how I have missed that!

I could go on and on but instead I think I will just go cry in the corner while I try to summon the strength to use the on-line system to see if my sceduked recordings really are scheduled.

I Plan to Stick Around

One thing I've noticed in a series recording. If you haven't watched this weeks episode it won't show chronologically in the to be recorded tiles as it is in the scheduled tab of the show still to be watched.  It shows up on the right place after you watch the old episode.

I Plan to Stick Around

Yes, I do schedule all of my series programs for all episodes/anytime. I even checked all of last nights recordings before we went out to be sure they were scheduled, however, today - nothing. Oh well, try again tonight.
What a sad state of affairs, having to check tv listings before going out.
I'm a Senior Contributor

@Jack22

Then it may very well be that your disk drive is having problems.  If there is a disk error and it tries to write to that area of the disk and fails, it may not update anything.  The next time you try to record, if it then tries to write to that same area, it will fail again.

I never like to suggest swapping machines or even a factory reset without a solid reason becasue either way you lose all your recordings.  It drives my wife crazy because I will always try to figure out why a PC is failing, whereas she just does a reboot and moves on.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

@roxandtreez wrote:

@Jack22  The only way I have found to avoid the missing recordings is to check the guide every day and take action on any scheduled recordings that have dropped.  I have all my series scheduled as <all episodes> <any time> so that I don't lose recordings because of a time change in the schedule, but even that does not prevent some shows from dropping.

The only possible cause I have not been able to prove is that if the spelling of the title in the guide changes, then maybe it is considered a new series and is not recorded.  I have had "The . Executioner" drop the recording two weeks in a row and had to reschedule the series both times.

@roxandtreez

If the spelling of the program title changes it will DEFINITELY cause Series recording issues.

It used to drive me crazy when they'd make stupid changes to program titles causing me to miss recordings.

In the past this has included the following changes that caused me to miss recordings:

Colbert Report

The Colbert Report

The Daily Show

The Daily Show With Jon Stewart

(they flipped the above program titles back and forth many times)

Tonight Show With Jay Leno

The Tonight Show With Jay Leno

American Dad

American Dad!

(Yep, they added the exclamation mark)

This Hour Has 22 Minutes

22 Minutes

CTV News

CTV News Kitchener

And they annoyed my wife recently by flipping between:

EastEnders

EastEnders Omnibus

Now last week their guide info screwed up yet again.

They started listing (from Mon Sep 28 - or Tue Sep 29 if you were looking at 12:05a):

The Daily Show With Jon Stewart

Of course I knew eventually they'd clue in that Jon Stewart retired and alter it (so you'd lose the episodes after they corrected it) so I called in Friday to complain.  I see now it correctly shows:

The Daily Show With Trevor Noah

(so if you scheduled that series last week you better reschedule with the correct title).

PS - I thought there was a convention that you don't sort alphabetically using 'The' - as in did you ever go to a music store and find 'The Beatles' listed under 'T' instead of 'B' ?

Apparently Rogers has never heard of that either.

I'm a Senior Contributor

@neilpalmer400  With RTN, you could prove that the name had changed, because if you listed scheduled recordings by series, you could find the different spellings.  Under Navigatr, this is no longer offered.  The only way to prove it would be to take photos of the TV or screenshots from the Manage PVR pages.  This is a lot of work, but I might consider doing it if I thought any action would be taken.  As you say, this has been going on for quite some time.

I Plan to Stick Around

So, starting around 10:00 tonight (Sunday) my NB3 stopped and rebooted itself for no apparent reason. It's now over two and a half hours later and it has come on and rebooted at least five more times.

I have no idea what's going on or why the machine is acting this way but I'm hoping it will fix itself overnight. I've been relatively lucky with the entire Navigatr debacle but I fear my luck has possibly run out.

Is anyone else having this issue?