New Nextbox Navigator

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: New Nextbox Navigator

Hi @roxandtreez  Well it's obviously 'user error' on your part - because there's nothing wrong with Navigatr (according to Rogers).   🙂    🙂 

But - seriously - I've noticed, while trying to use the Rogers app to see your PVR on a tablet or computer (whatever they call the app) - I've noticed that I could NOT see the button to Manage PVR, but was able to do so after logging out of the Rogers website, and then logging back in again - but when I then later tried to post to this forum, I was unable to.

So it seems that there is some problem with being logged into this forum AND the Manage PVR app at the same time.

The other main issue you mention is, I think, a problem with the PVR 'updating' it's Scheduled recordings listings.  I think it takes TIME for this to happen.  Although it's a pain, it's nice to figure out that rebooting clarifies things.

I've Been Here Awhile

Not only did the Navigatr Guide update erase ALL the shows I had saved, there are a large number of bugs in the system. I called to complain and they offered me a free month's rental on my PVR - a whopping 12.95 in savings plus 6 free pay-per-view movies. If they bothered to check my history, they would see that in the 15+ years that I've been with Rogers, I've only watched a PPV movie once. So wonderful to offer me something I will never use.

Here are some of the problems I've found with the new Navigatr:

• there's an option to show only subscribed channels which does not work - if you choose that setting and exit the guide, it shows ALL channels the next time you display the guide (you have to go back and reset the setting each time)
  • the list of recordings and scheduled recordings is now the same list - it's hard to know what's recorded and ready to watch and what is yet to be recorded - you have to open each item to see
  • somehow an "unknown" recording appeared in my list of recordings and has a recording date of December 31, 1959 - when i tried to play it, i just got the message "unknown error"
  • there's an option to NOT show related content but it doesn't work - if you select that option, it continues to show related content (and what it considers related is very questionable to start with)
  • one time, i tried to record a show that had started but got a message that said there was a conflict so i looked in my list of scheduled recordings, but there was no apparent conflict. to my surprise, the show that i had tried to record appeared in my list of recordings. however, when i tried to watch it, it was a completely different show

Hoping that they might actually fix the problems, I rtook the time to report them by sending the information to Rogers. I thought they would appreciate the fact that I took the time to point out the issues I found. However, I just got an impatient voicemail that advised me to call "level 2" support for help, as if they that the problem was simply my inability to operate the Navigatr guide when, in fact, the problem is with the software itself.

Bell recently called with a promotional offer that is much cheaper than what I'm paying for Rogers. I think it may be time to finally make the change. 

I'm a Senior Contributor

@billmcintyre

Even though I know you were kidding, there was still an element of suspicion that it was only happening to me.  However, over on Digtal Home, 57 reported that he was unable to see his PVR's this morning for about an hour, so something was going on.  Maybe the site was being updated.  He's not on Navigatr yet, so we can't blame it in this case.

As for it needing time to update the listings, I scheduled these shows last week, so it has had the whole weekend.  I checked at 6:15 and they are still not showing as scheduled in the guide for a show that starts in less than 3 hours.

Because of the problems posting in the forum, I am going to access the forums on Firefox and the Manage PVR on Chrome and see if that separation eases my problems.

Even though I enjoy trying to solve problems, I am getting a bit tired of the constant failures.  Consider that in one morning I had problems with Navigatr, the tablet app, the web Manager PVR and the forums.   Granted, three of these are web based, so if Rogers is playing with the server side, that could affect everything.

@ront wrote:
  • somehow an "unknown" recording appeared in my list of recordings and has a recording date of December 31, 1959 - when i tried to play it, i just got the message "unknown error"
  • one time, i tried to record a show that had started but got a message that said there was a conflict so i looked in my list of scheduled recordings, but there was no apparent conflict. to my surprise, the show that i had tried to record appeared in my list of recordings. however, when i tried to watch it, it was a completely different show

The "Unknown" or "Null" recordings are an existing prolem (it certainly exists in RTN version 5.1.1.0105 - the version BEFORE Navigatr).  Instead of spending programming effort to fix the problem Rogers has wasted money & programming time coming up with Navigatr - a new face with all the same old bugs (plus many new ones) beneath it.

The Unknown/Null recordings are tied in with the subsequent problem of a program recording something other than what you thought (what you had scheduled and what the program title says it is).  Instead you will find what is recorded there is the program that aired on the same channel eitehr just before or just after (I can't recall which) the one you wanted and thought you had recorded.

The Null/Unknown/Undefined recordings seem to occur when the box is rebooted during the time of a scheduled recording (what it was recording at the time sometimes shows up as Undefined/Null).  The solution to getting rid of Unknown/Null (or Undefined) recordings, and stopping it recording the show before/after the one you want, is to reboot the box.  But DON'T do it during the time a recording is scheduled, or if you have a recording scheduled in the next half hour, or the problem will just continue.

I'm a Senior Contributor

For anyone interested, the two programs did record without having to reboot, but never did show in the guide as scheduled.  So the Manage PVR web page, the Android tablet app and the Navigatr scheduled tiles were accurate but the guide was not.

I Plan to Stick Around

I tried taping the late show twice yesterday and neither worked. 

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Hi,

Seems since the new Navigator role out that nothing is in alphabetical order when looking through On demand listings.

Any ETA on when this will be fixed?

I'm a Senior Contributor

It's deja vu all over again.  Last year on September 23, my Nextbox 3 seemed to record a program all night.  The next morning, the red record light was still on, so I had to unplug the power and reboot.  This left a corrupted program on my drive and when I tried to delete it the box would reboot.  This was the start of my "insufficient resources" problem.

Today, September 24, we were watching a show and when we finished I went through and deleted several duplicate episodes.  On the second last one, the screen froze at the delete confirmation page.  None of the remote buttons would work.  We were 7 minutes into recording the news, so I didn't want to reboot in case I caused another corrupted recording.  I waited until 7:00 when the two recordings were to be completed.  The red recording light was still on, so I had no choice but to unplug and reboot.

When the box came back up, the tile showed I had one program recorded for 92 minutes.  When I played it, it ran for 7 minutes and ended - 7 minutes being the time at which the screen froze.  I was able to delete the 92 minute recording, and go back and delete the episodes that I was tring to delete when the screen froze.

Now I am waiting to see if this was a one-time glitch, or the beginning of ongoing issues until I do another factory reset.  This is a different box from the one I had problems with last year.  That box seems to be OK at the moment.

@roxandtreez
Do you have Whole Home PVR ?
I'm a Senior Contributor

@neilpalmer400  Nope.  It is a standalone box.  In the past two days I have noticed that the delete recording is working strangely.  Since the first day, there has been a problem where if you delete the last recording and there are no scheduled recordings, then the screen just sits there.  If you hit Exit and go back to the tiles, then the recording has been deleted.

Now I am having similar problems when there are two recordings left.  Delete the first one and it doesn't disappear.  Delete the second, and it disappears and after you hit Exit both are gone and the tile moves down among the scheduled recordings with no saved recordings.

I have also seen the sort order different with two recordings.  Normally they display newest to oldest, but I have seen oldest to newest with two recordings.  This really complicates the deletion process and further increases the chance of deleting the wrong recording.  It is probably safer to watch all the recordings before deleting them.

And remember, delete all recordings deletes your schedule as well, so you have to delete one recording at a time.