New Nextbox Navigator

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: New Nextbox Navigator

@theClubHopper:

Dear Club,

@theClubHopper wrote:

@iris42- Bill beat me to it but it's all about "More like this". See Post #427 in this thread for details.

As Rogers admitted in the letter we received in July announcing Navigatr, it's a work in progress ("first of many upgrades", "program images coming soon"). I think I know what features are planned and why, and I'll explain in another post later when I have more time.

Sure, ok, they want to sell us more PPV crap (no offense to our buddy @park over there), but 

a) they could do so without the idiotic 'tile' interface, since that crap shows up on the individual recording page, and

b) this isn't the 'free' internet -- we're *paying* for the . content, and should not have to put up with ads built into the interface

At the very least, we should be able to turn them off. When I'm watching a film noir on TCM, I hardly think that 'Paul Blart' is in any way similar.

I suppose the theory behind this is that the interface changes are so annoying that these insulting suggestions are not that big a deal...

At least as far as I'm concerned, they will be generating a lot *less* revenue from me in the near future.

Regards,

Mr. A

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi Bill,

@billmcintyre wrote:

...But speaking of WHY Rogers is introducing Navigatr - I asked their tech guys during multiple calls - "Why?" and the second guy I talked to said it was because Navigatr will be compatible with the future introduction of IPTV.  I didn't mention that info here much yet because I wondered if the tech geek might have just been telling me what he thought I wanted to hear - because during my first call to them I specifically asked if that was the reason for the introduction - and it's obvious that Rogers takes notes about what you talk to them about when you call.  I don't know if I'm being too paranoid - but I'd like to hear from others here that they've been told that this is the reason for Navigatr being dumped on us before I'm completely convinced it is the true reason.

Don't fall for it -- the story that this was done to somehow enable IP TV delivery is nonsense. The 'user experience' and PVR recordings are all happening in the set-top box, so either the Nextbox 3 can handle IPTV in the hardware or it cannot. The wonderful 'Navigatr(TM)' user interface makes no difference.

The user interface is separate from the actual operation of the hardware *and* from the programming, and its design is separate from the functions that must (or can) be provided to the user.

Someone thought this would be a 'cool' upgrade. Someone else, who has no appreciation for UI design, signed off on it. Now it's being managed to budgets and schedules.

Lose the Tiles.

Regards,

Mr. A

I Plan to Stick Around

Agreed, the tiles are terrible. A list would be a lot better.

Retired Moderator RogersHassam
Retired Moderator

@park, did you try a factory restore after exchanging the box?

RogersHassam 

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@stevehut wrote:

Agreed, the tiles are terrible. A list would be a lot better.

Agree.

Actually 2 lists. One for scheduled and one for recording/recorded with abilit yto display in chrono, alpha and channel oreder.

RE IPTV  - From Wikipedia

IPTV services may be classified into three main groups:

• Live television, with or without interactivity related to the current TV show;
  • Time-shifted television: catch-up TV (replays a TV show that was broadcast hours or days ago), start-over TV (replays the current TV show from its beginning);
  • Video on demand (VOD): browse a catalog of videos, not related to TV programming.

So the new things are :

1. Interactive live TV (talk back to your TV, which some of us more vocal types have been doing for years 😉 ).

2.Time shifted/start-over.  Bell has that feature now.  Our PVRS do a that on the current channel only.  Navigatr crippled the ability to a minor form of that on multiple channels (watch while recording) by making it difficult to find a program being recorded in its pile-of-tiles.

I'm an Advisor

@RogersHassam wrote:

@park, did you try a factory restore after exchanging the box?

RogersHassam 

Have no idea what that is.

Went through a CSR who told me to swap box.

A store employee who handed me a refurbed box wrapped in cellophane.

Plugged it in. Booted up.  Not authorized on any channels.

Another CSR re-authenticated the machine a few minutes later.

BTW: Box froze again tonite for a minute or so.

Retired Moderator RogersHassam
Retired Moderator

@park,

The factory reset is done as follows but unfortunately it deletes all the recordings and anything you have set to record including your settings. If you've already watched your recorded content and would like to try this, see below. 

How to Perform Factory Reset:

Ø  Press Settings

Ø  Select Troubleshooting

Ø  Select Diagnostics

Ø  Select Restore Factory Settings

Ø  Select Restore

Ø  Enter PIN (0000)

Thanks,

RogersHassam 

I Plan to Stick Around

@park

Hi Krap (ok, that just sounds *wrong*),

@krap wrote:

RE IPTV  - From Wikipedia

IPTV services may be classified into three main groups:

• Live television, with or without interactivity related to the current TV show;
  • Time-shifted television: catch-up TV (replays a TV show that was broadcast hours or days ago), start-over TV (replays the current TV show from its beginning);
  • Video on demand (VOD): browse a catalog of videos, not related to TV programming.

So the new things are :

1. Interactive live TV (talk back to your TV, which some of us more vocal types have been doing for years 😉 ).

2.Time shifted/start-over.  Bell has that feature now.  Our PVRS do a that on the current channel only.  Navigatr crippled the ability to a minor form of that on multiple channels (watch while recording) by making it difficult to find a program being recorded in its pile-of-tiles.

IPTV is, by definition, TV delivered over an Internet Protocol network (i.e. as IP data packets). What you describe from Wikipedia are certain TV features that are not specific to IPTV. For example, as you point out, time-shifting is essentially what the PVR does -- nothing to do with the delivery protocol. Also, Video On Demand, as you know, is already available from Rogers and Bell as part of the current set-top boxes. When you select something to watch from Rogers On Demand, or Shomi, you are using an interactive TV feature -- already available.

Therefore, IPTV can't be the reason for Navigatr, since it works with cable, and really, doesn't change anything except deleting features and making it more difficult to use the PVR.

Fibe is IPTV, Netflix is IPTV, Navigatr is a bad design.

Regards,

Mr. A

"Lose the TIles"(TM)

I'm a Senior Advisor

@krap wrote:

Traditional "time shift" is channels in a different time zone that allow you to watch/record shows. Nothing to do with IPTV.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm an Advisor

@Mister_A

Yes thats the defintion. I am addressing what does IPTV do that is better, faster, cheaper ?

For the supplier:

It helps bandwith challenged firms deliver TV like content.  Netflix has none of its own bandwidth. It rides on existing Internet bandwidth. And twisted pair copper wire (Bell last mile connection) just does not have the ability to carry hundreds of one-way "broadcast" signals like coax cable or over -the-air TV does.  Rogers really does not need IPTV to compete there.

On the user side:

I would guess IPTV shines in 2 way communications. If 2 way is limited to ordering stuff with a few botton pushes, Rogers already does that.   So I guess the main  user benefit with IPTV is the ability to restart a program if you are joining part-way thru?  And maybe sharing the IP bandwith between TV and Internet usage could result in faster Internet speeds, when not watching regular TV.   Others ?