New Nextbox Navigator

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: New Nextbox Navigator

Just had a reply back from Rogers Facebook.   I have been informed that "there will be no upgrades to the interface in the foreseeable future".

So I guess that is that.   Live with all the problems we have.  Get over it.

All the forums, Facebook, newspaper articles and chats among friends - no one has listened.

We are powerless.

I Plan to Stick Around

We are not powerless! Let's send them a message they can understand. "BELL"
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Jack22, what does it even mean, "there will be no upgrades to the interface in the foreseeable future"? Will Rogers stop rolling out Navigatr to regions spared so far? Or will they continue, but stop upgrading it to improve it so as to regain the previous system's functions?

I should state that I have no dog in this fight because I have a SA8300HD that works perfectly, until Rogers stops supporting that I suppose.

However, Rogers' adamant position not to backtrack from this dysfunctional Navigatr is curious, and bears discussion.  Physically, I can't see any reason why they can't go back. So what could it be? I'm sure nobody would scoff at Rogers for going back if it makes life easier for everybody. Could it be some unbreakable contractual agreement with Cisco? If so, why not just come out and say so?

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Hi Jack and Oldyeller.

From what I gather of their statement ("no upgrades to the interface in the foreseeable future"), I think they have halted the rollout of Navigatr to the rest of Ontario while they work to fix the bugs and idiotic design choices in the interface. 

So the rest of us will keep the old guide, and, if the beta tester guinea pigs who already have the new Garburator interface are lucky, they MIGHT get updates to the Navigatr guide with progressive fixes until Rogers gets it right (or as right as Rogers gets things)

I DO think Rogers has heard that customers are peeved as heck (this is as blunt as I can get without being "edited" - hi mods - you'll notice I'm being polite and good today.  Please don't shred my post).  So I expect that they HAVE TO make some changes.  But how long will it take?  No idea.  And will they give us back ALL the functionality that we've lost.  I doubt it.

Oldyellar:  I asked Rogers about the SA 8300 last night - because I've considered going back to it myself (if Navigatr is forced on me) - unless I leave Rogers completely.  The Rogers tech guy said that you should have use of your 8300 for the foreseeable future.

So WHY the change to Navigatr?  I asked that to the techs AGAIN.  (I got a 'no answer' answer the first time I asked last week.)  This time, a tech told me that it is because Navigatr is compatible with Rogers change over to IPTV in the next 12 months.  (This may be true - or the guy may be 'really good' and may have noticed when I called last week that I specifically asked if this is why.  (they do keep notes about your conversations with them - and the tech guy might have just been parroting back to me the answer I was specifically asking about last week.)

But about problems people are having with Navigatr - here is another summary of the issues: (Cindy from Facebook asks:)

1. How can I make my "saved settings" for how I view channels (subscribed) and recordings (alphabetically) actually save so I don't have to change the settings every time I access each menu?
2. How do I access my recordings that currently aren't showing any saved shows? I used to be able to see all my set recordings so I know in the fall these shows are set and/or I can change them.
3. When the box shows the red "record" light, how do I see what show is recording - doesn't show up on Recorded shows list unless I go into each one.
4. How do I get rid of the white bar in the channel listing showing where current time falls?
5. How do I change the setting so when I exit a show I've just watched I don't accidentally delete the newest recording, which the new update defaults to? If I do accidentally delete, how can I recover?
6. Why are some shows grouped by title and others are individually listed? How do I fix it?
7. Any way to make the boxes go away and the list return for recorded programs?
8. Any way to make the page up/down buttons on remote work on the recordings main page as it used to?
9. Can you restore the ability to watch a recorded program and look at the info about that program at the same time, rather than stopping the viewing to read the tiny info print on the recording screen?
10. Any way to separate "Scheduled" recordings from "Recorded" recordings? If someone else in the house watches a recording (thus losing the '1 New' Label on the screen), I have to check each time to see if there is actually a recording or if it's just a scheduled recording.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@billmcintyre wrote:

Oldyellar:  I asked Rogers about the SA 8300 last night - because I've considered going back to it myself (if Navigatr is forced on me) - unless I leave Rogers completely.  The Rogers tech guy said that you should have use of your 8300 for the foreseeable future.

So WHY the change to Navigatr?  I asked that to the techs AGAIN.  (I got a 'no answer' answer the first time I asked last week.)  This time, a tech told me that it is because Navigatr is compatible with Rogers change over to IPTV in the next 12 months.

Apologies for the temporary deviation from  the topic. To me, in my mid-seventies, "foreseeable future" is at least 3 years. How far ahead does Rogers look?  As I understand it, SATA machines are not compatible with IPTV, so how is that going to work?

Anyway, that's a great list of flaws to add to the database, if Rogers is paying attention. If Rogers actually intends to fully fix Navigatr, the developers should have good job security for the foreseeable future.

That's a good question that I'm not sure about - Oldyellr. Are the NB2 and NB3 compatible with the rollout of IPTV? I assume the SA 8300 are not. (Are they all SATA?)
I'm a Senior Advisor

The Nextbox 2 and 3 are RTN and supposedly compatible with IPTV. The SA 8300 is SATA and is not. At least that's what I've read.

Now, people here keep talking about scrapping Navigatr and "going back to RTN". Maybe one of experts here can clarify that, because I thought Navigatr was just a facade that uses those confounded tiles like Windows 8 and 10 to irritate people.

Bill,

I think you mean SARA.  (Scientific Atlanta Resident Application - the code that preceded RTN).

@OLDYELLR wrote:

Now, people here keep talking about scrapping Navigatr and "going back to RTN". Maybe one of experts here can clarify that, because I thought Navigatr was just a facade that uses those confounded tiles like Windows 8 and 10 to irritate people.

I think it's confirmed that Navigatr is just lipstick on the RTN pig.

RTN 5.2 from the release version displayed in the boxes, to the fact some of the same old RTN 5.1 and earlier bugs are still present.

@BS wrote:

Rogers markets the recent changes as a new better experience, but better to what?

Bruce

Bruse,

Well, it's a better experience than giving yourself a frontal lobotomy.

I suppose we could ask the Navigatr developers about that.