New Nextbox Navigator

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: New Nextbox Navigator

Thanks for providing the step by step process of dealing with the CC setting issues.  Now that was certainly confusing, and definititely not intuitive - how about a more or error at the bottom to let us know there is more there to deal with.

And as for the early statement that Rogers is stubbornly going forward with this change - still no explanation or clarification of why and how this makes it better, easier etc.  How about a clear explanation of where it makes things easier and just where are they taking this, as I get the gut feeling this is the foundation of some future changes.  I could be wrong, but in absence of information and clarity being given to us as we ask, we will draw our own conclusions, right or wrong, that is all we can do. Not good communication or a way to get "buy in" to changes.  Marketing 101.

I think we should keep this thread running as a place for new people to join in and gripe (as that is all that is left for us to do), we have suggested, asked for clarification, and all we can do now is say all the things we don't like and to reiterate problems, or bring new ones they have found.

Once the next upgrade begins to come out -- we still don't know when that will be - I think a new thread should begin - Navigatr Season II maybe where we can hopefully compliment them on all the wonderful fixes and making it truly easier and better and a great experience, and we can also communicate and clarify what is still to be dealt with or new ones that are found.

And Season I episode ... continues.  It has been a long one. We could cal this episode 2 as they have dealt with the poor souls who the update wiped their shows.  Now they sit with us and wait.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

Just a heads up for the forum moderators too be aware of and hopefully it can be pushed to marketing, advertising, and to senior staff.

The message is spreading:

https://gripevine.com/new-navigatr-various-issues-rogers-communications-inc-headquarters-gripe-21055...

Includes a pdf summary and a position that they are leaving at the end.  This person did a very detailed description of some of the major issues.

http://www.monster.ca/news/business/rogers-stumbles-with-flawed-nextbox-update-rogers-may-lose-custo...

A reprint of the Roseman article.

Much on Facebook and Twitter pages, along with I am sure many statements by customers to their friends, neighbours, relatives, CSR's and upwards through the system, and in general conversation over dinner, in restaurants, in Bell and other options while looking for options.

And it doesn't help that if you search Rogers Nextbox, you will see issues from back to the original rollout of 2, then 2-3.  The Internet never forgets, so a strong current message has to get out to override all the negative stuff.

There is a serious need for the company to view this challenge as an opportunity and as has been said before, they have a chance to take their time, get this right and to demonstrate that they can acknowledge their mistakes honestly, be humble and listen and respond.  But in the meantime, the message around this whole incident and other big ones over the last couple of months continue to keep spreading.  Yes, as was stated, it was great to get a clarification on this forum, but what about the 99% of other users who didn't see it and are beginning to wonder just what is coming their way.

Bruce

I Plan to Stick Around

Saying that it is 'user unfriendly' is a gross understatement.

Like you say, there used to be a simple list where one could see all the recorded programs - GONE. There also used to be a similar list where one could see a simple list of all the scheduled programs, in the order that they were to be recorded - GONE. Now if I want to see what has been recorded or scheduled to record, I have to open each box individually to see this info. No single place to see it all. Also, when a program is being recorded, there is no simple way to see what the program is that is being recorded. Another GONE.

And then, when I want to stop/delete a recording that I'm watching, instead of 2 or 3 steps, it is now 6 - 8 steps because if the program isn't at the top of the recorded list in that series as soon as I hit STOP it automatically goes back to the top of the list, forcing me to scroll back down to the episode that I want to delete, re-open it & then procede with my DELETE process.

I have yet to see anything that was an improvement.

I'm Here A Lot

Update:  Rogers is now sending a technician to the house next Monday to do something to our 8642 which is "the only thing left and will defintely fix the problem" (blank settings screen, etc). The only thing that I can imagine they could do is to reflash the box firmware - if so  I'm optimistic that will work.

I Plan to Stick Around

So, tonight I was going to record Extant from Global at 10pm. I had it set as a series recording, but tonight it is nowhere to be found. So, I checked the guide and the program is on at 9pm tonight. Ok, Set it to record with the red button.

No can do. Message says the program is already set to be recorded. Hmm. Not that I can see it anywhere. So I set it to record from ABC at 9pm. We'll see what actually gets recorded.

The design flaws in this UI are just endless.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Well, thank god for timeshift, because it's on Global BC (568) at midnight. Or will Negator block that too?

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I Plan to Stick Around

Stumbled on another problem tonight:
In my settings I have my default series recording settings as New Episodes, Any Timeslot, Any Day.
Go to the guide, select something, press record series: the settings are New Episodes, Any Timeslot, This Day Only.
Yet another setting that isn't respected. Come on Rogers, we're not even trying to find problems...
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@shan-man

I had a similar problem at first but then I found a way to make the setting "stick". Go into settings and change your selection to This Day Only and then exit settings. Now go back into settings and switch it back to Any Day, then exit again. For some reason, this "switch" maintains the new setting and I haven't had a problem since.....and it's been a few weeks. Good luck!
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@KWoo - .. until you reboot your box.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@shan-man  Yes, the fact that the recording kept defaulting back to same day rather than staying at one day no matter how I set up the savings was driving me nuts.  I had to keep track of shows that have two sessions per week, and always check back to see what I was getting.  I had given up and started to record the shows that like So you think you can dance, The Voice that have two shows per week and recording the one day in series, and the second day as a series.

I used Shan-man's suggestion. It worked.  How did you ever find that?  It is working, but as also said, will it be there on reboot.

Add it to the issue list.

So I am not going to restart my box just to test whether I lose my settings again, that were miraculously found, but make absolutely no logic or sense.  Try documenting that one.

I wasn't planning to say anymore, but this one did impact me and I am glad to have a workaround for now.  Just have to remember to check my series recording settings closely as I set them up.

************* The rest below is a discussion on the whole mess for those who may be interested.  If you just want the solution above, then you can stop here**********************

I have said this before, but I will say it again, I will give the developers and the testing team the benefit of the doubt and suggest that this whole project was rushed.  

I am coming to my own conclusion.

We have had this name game and feature game going on between Rogers and its competitors for quite a while.

One company allows you take your TV anywhere in the house and watch it anywhere.  Rogers has anyplace TV - not quite the same, you can't pick up your 52 inch TV and watch it in the garage with the guys - we all know the ad.  

The other guys now has the feature that you can go back to the start of a show, whether you came in on the middle or not. Rogers doesn't have that.

The other guys have fibre - Rogers brought in Hybrid Fibre - technology the same thing by the way, only difference is that Rogers has coax to the door and in house, the other guy has copper.  Now Rogers has Ignite whatever that means.

By the way, most people probably don't know that the technology has been developed to allow the fastest speeds, comparable to fibre over POTS copper cabling, thereby allowing the life of all that copper to be extended, and allow for getting out to rural areas in the world where Cable is not available.

Our phones have NFC protocol - that is what allows phones to connect to another phone or device to transmit data by touch alone.  All companies have feature sets that allow NFC to be transmitted over the data network for the carriers for banking, and other things.  Rogers calls it "sure tap", other companies probably call it something else. It is all the same thing, just the names are different.

So I see this update as the next step to IPTV (Cisco acknowledges this in their documentation on the box).

Rogers markets the recent changes as a new better experience, but better to what? One would hope this update would have fixed all the previous problems still outstanding in RTN?  Although I will agree that some minor interface changes have made some things faster and easier, but unfortunately at the cost of ease in many other areas, tiny fonts (I guess to make it fit in the boxes) and a whole lot of bugs and absolutely insane workarounds - most of which users have found and documented, like the one above.

The best feature set that the box brought was in the move from 2 to 3 when we got more storage space and the ability to not have conflicts if you tried to record another show beyond 2 channels.  Comparison between the other guys and Rogers on that one was the other guys had 4 channels, but because it is running IP, it also slowed down with Internet usage, both your Internet and TV.  The Cisco box manages to get away with it because it is built using mostly QAM (just another transmission protocol) and prepared to provision towards IP.  The different protocol which is the current foundation of the network model allows the transmission not to interfere with IP transmission over the same cables.

So sure, I can see how you have to have the edge on the competitors, but not at the enjoyment and ease of the use of the box by the user.

I hope Rogers development and marketing teams have learned a lesson. The new and "better" thing often is not better.  Ask Windows, they went through it with Windows 3, fixed in Windows 3.1, finally fixed in Windows 98. Windows ME was a disaster, Windows 2000 was a wonderful enterprise platform, Windows XP built a very stable platform.  Windows Vista was a disaster, Windows 7.1 over years got past it. Windows 8 was a marketing disaster, windows 8.1 tried to fix it, Windows 10 seems to have nailed down the best of both worlds - the desktop and laptop without touch screen, versus the Windows phone and Windows tablets.  Did you know with a monitor, a mouse, and keyboard via bluetooth, and you can run it as a desktop.  Now that is new and improved.

I wait patiently to see what comes next and do hope that it the fixes are well designed and well tested.  I and others on this board are more than willing to be the testers by the way.  And please remember that standard testing protocol is to test every feature set that existed and is to remain, as well as the new features to ensure that there has not been any accidental conflicts created by the new codes.

Bruce