New Nextbox Navigator

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: New Nextbox Navigator

@theClubHopper wrote:

@neilpalmer400 wrote:

I presume the Settings page  (PVR Settings / Related Content Setting/Don't Show) that was there in RTN 5.1 has now disappeared, like several other features from 5.1 ?

Neil, you must have missed the posts where people mentioned that that the setting *is* there but toggling it to the "Don't show" position has no effect!

So many post I forget sometimes.

I'm SURE that particular item will be near the top of the list of things Rogers fixes,

right after the small font.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@neilpalmer400 No it is still there, just does nothing. Kind of like save the sort order from alpha to chrono.

Coincidence, or just poor followup on module by module of the product as they changed code.

I can't keep repeating that good testing comes from knowing every module and function that programmers have touched, they test it, they run it by the development team, then document it and give it to beta testers, fix what you missed, then move to rollout to a small group of users to see how much support they need to move from one model to the next, adjust again, improve your training, and then finally roll out.  That is why it takes a year or more turn around start to finish with most software upgrades, or major changes - a major change is not theoretically and upgrade, it is a new model.  Like Microsoft, 7.0 is the first product pushed out, 7.1 is a service patch to fix errors. 8.0 is a new product, not an upgrade, 8.1, and other patches are fixes and possibly some upgrades, and the monthly required patches are not upgrades, they are security and functionality fixes, not upgrades. Windows 10 is a new product and they already released service pack 8.1 and a number of service security patches. None of these items after windows 10 roll out are updates, they are fixes to a brand new operating system.

I don't think, as others have said, that what we are looking at is really an upgrade. It is a user interface change, as Windows with 8.1 to bring back the start menu (user choice), while allowing choice to have either option of tiles or start menu.  There is no choice in this rollout which I have troubles considering an upgrade, it is a poor attempt to meet someone's requests for changes.  Not sure who asked for these changes,  it certainly was not me or anyone on this board. Definitely there were unresolved issues idenitified in the previous RTN from the very beginning from SARA onwards, but these are improvements and fixes as requests, not upgrades.

I know that this may seem like symantics, but this is standard language in the industry, so stick to it.  We all have the capability to search the Internet and find out many details that Rogers has not told us or kept confidential just by hitting the Cisco sites, and reading through their discussions on RTN, and other details. It is hard to hide from the Internet, and for those of us who are knowledgable, we really do want to know what is going on and non-answers, or answers clouded and obscuated into marketing messages just don't satisfy us - it just makes us frustrated.

I said I was out of here, but I need to answer the question about the more like option in settings. Like many other options, they are still there, but there is no code sitting under the visual logic.

Bruce

I'm a Trusted Contributor

The silence from Rogers continues to be deafening!

You are all 100% correct in your assessments: @theClubHopper @BS @neilpalmer400 @billmcintyre @park

I'm an Advisor

@theClubHopper wrote:

It's been said before: the answer is always money.. it was done to make more money.

If so, how long will it be before Rogers  puts adverts and links to commercials instead of "More Like This"

show recommendations that are Not-at-all-like-this ??  These are at best humorous but primarily useless.

Since PVRs let us selectively skip traditional TV commercials, and I would guess all of us do, PVR users are a great target for yet another way to get to the consumer and extract advertising $$ from businesses.

I'm an Advisor

@BS wrote:

One more odd quirk - I was watching a show and then had to run out - so decided to record it. In past, I would have just clicked record - done - one click.

Now I have to bring up the menu or the banner.....

@BS Maybe we have different versions of the Navigatr software, but on that still works on my NB3 machine.

I'm a Senior Advisor

So is the Record button inoperative with Navigatr?

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm curious how many people got the update today. I haven't yet...so I'm still stuck with no Settinsg menu and DVS audio. Perfect.

I'm curious why they're fixing some people's boxes and not others.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@OLDYELLR wrote:

So is the Record button inoperative with Navigatr?

No, it still records the live tv that you're watching.

@VBDubGirl wrote:

I'm curious how many people got the update today. I haven't yet...so I'm still stuck with no Settinsg menu and DVS audio. Perfect.

I'm curious why they're fixing some people's boxes and not others.

Did you get a robocall last week about an upcoming factory reset?

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

"My sincerest apologies for the inconvience you may have experienced" by my post about the record button not working.  

I tried it later and found that it did work.  

A light grey font on a white box came up with three options; Do you want to continue recording "the name of the show inserted".  This one was a bit humerous - it didn't actually fit in the box and spread past the box."  

Ever heard of scroll at end of margin?;  The second was end recording and save; and the third was end recording and delete.  

Clicked the third one, a banner came up indicating deleting recording with a grey text on white - kind of like this font in the forum, but I zoom on my computer to make it bigger. It goes all the way back to when the new bill only worked on 75% zoom on Chrome and other browsers.  Clearly no one is thinking about visual accuity during the development stage.

Once again, we see an example of how there is a font and contrast issue - the whole box needs to be reviewed for this issue. It is the law to accommodate disabilities unless there can be proven undue hardship on the company, which is extremely difficult to prove and generally a big company will never win on that one. Consider the closed captions - why are they so detailed - because the ADA in the US has been in place longer and all services must abide by it.  Not only must CC be there for the deaf or hard of hearing, but also must have adaptations for visual accuity so you can read easily and quickly. Our own act was orginally named ODA but it was more suggestions and no teeth behind it.  The new AODA gave time lines to have things in place and clear recommendations, and has teeth behind it.  This one has to be addressed and is not something to get used to.  That is like telling a person with a wheel chair to get used to trying to go up stairs at the front of a store.

Excuse me for being so persistent on this one, but my visual acuity issues are no way as severe as some people have, and I am speaking for myself and others.  My accuity issues are improved with cataract surgury, but they continue to deteriate. Unfortunately, I did not get the wonder cure of a "bionic occular implant"  It is actually called an occular implant - an artificial lense in both eyes.  So I persist as I don't need the headaches that come from trying to read these tiny fonts, or my wife who just had retinal surgury also does not need the challenge of tiny fonts.  May I never meet the rep who wrote the FAQ referred in the Roseman article using the phrase "but we understand the changes might be hard to get used to." as the ending statement to the discussion on fonts.  The author really didn't think that one through. Those with visual accuity issues, or even those who can see very well, but the font really is too small and not to industry standard, obviously may take offence to the implication that we have to get used to it.  I won't soon be forgetting that one. Just one more example of a company who really doesn't take our laws fully seriously, but I will give them credit though, I have free 411 information because of my visual acuity issues, and their intro on the phone of "how can I help you" is the recommended response to deal with accommodating our disabilities.  So always answer this with how you want to be heard, the understanding you expect, and if you have concentration and memory issues like me, tell them and advise them that you will be asking them to repeat often in order that I can record on paper everything that has been said between us. I too record for quality assurance and verbal committment by reps (that is a verbal contract by the way), but I don't use tape, I just right it in detail.  I can type fast from dictation.  And I read it back to them to ensure we agree.

But again, "I apologize for any inconvience I may have created." "We on this board are always working on improving your TV experience, so keep checking back for more updates", from us and hopefully Rogers. I will give them credit, they have provided some detail on changes on this board, but these notices are not consistent when you work with other departments.  If it is official policy we are reading here, it needs to be more broadly communicated to customers and staff so we can get past the silence and the many conflicting statements. I am glad they have said updates, not upgrades as that is what they are - updates.

That is actually what this whole exercise is about, it is an update of some old outstanding issues, someone's ideas on what users may like to see, probably some marketing of Shomi, Pay per view, On demand, and select shows we have to pay for as it sure is often not more like what we were watching (our interpretation, until someone tells otherwise - silence isn't always golden).

I am reluctantly getting used to some of what is there, won't say that I like it all, most of it is awkward, and much of it is definitely not efficient or user friendly with many poor fonts and contrasting backgrounds (don't forget the volume meter - grey on black for volume and the percentage level cannot be seen on a dark show background and some features just don't work - all documented in great detail in this very, very long thread.

I am reminded of many years ago at the CNE where Bell Canada was rolling out touch tone phones at increased cost and a touch tone fee that still exists to this date.  They had a side by side comparison of dialing by rotary dial and using touch to demonstrate just how faster it was to use it.

Wonder how a side by side comparison of the complete feature sets of the two RTN versions would compare.  So the CNE home section is still there, so come on Rogers, do the challenge with hundreds of users at the CNE and see what you learn.  Now there is a very large user group and I have no doubt that you will have a booth there. Great opportunity for feedback.

We continue to move forward, one step forward, two back, silence in general to everything we are saying here, accept for the standard scripts.   Was on the phone yesterday, about yet another billing error - and they wonder why I am so persisent that I have to have a bill with full details, and boy it would be nice to be able to see the details on usage and documentation which they don't give us access to.  For the fun of it, I said all of their standard scripts before they had a chance and gave my answers throughout the whole call.  Gives you an idea of just how often I have been on the phone over the last six months over billing issues and miscommunication on the impact of any changes to services. I avoid ever changing my services anymore, but my daughter moved to the U.S. so I had no choice. It is this ongoing small things that always take a few hours to fix, that have led to having very little patience for these major issues in the day to day use of our services.  I thank the Rogers reps for their patience with my frustration and impatience.  

They did fix the billing error after much time of me flipping from screen to screen for each of my services (this is efficient?) and also using the PDF bill, which I had to constantly keep scrolling from phone number to changes, to detailed billing that are not together on the bill all under the services associated with that phone number.  Very awkward. I hightlight this experience to make my point that I don't buy the message any more that we are improving things, we have listened, we have made it easier and more efficient to do things or understand your bill.  Yes you have addressed some important issues and required changes.

But do please think very hard about not only what you add, but the user experience of navigating (I cringe with that word now), our bill and our services to fully understand how to use them, to understand what we are getting, and to make it easier to follow-up when errors occur.

Have a good day everyone.  Anybody hear when these updates are coming?

Bruce

Bruce

I've Been Around

Lucky you...