New Nextbox Navigator

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: New Nextbox Navigator

@neilpalmer400 wrote:

Now maybe if Rogers had chosen a new user interface with round tiles...

Neil, as far as I can see, there was *NO* reason to modify the user interface at all (especially for the PVR), regardless of any back-end modifications to the software, since the basic functionality hasn't changed. (Nor should it -- it's a PVR fercrissakes!!!)

It may be more obvious to those of us with a programming background, but the only thing that seems to have changed for me is the tiny font, the lack of visible information, the more obtuse methods to perform previous functions, and the removal of some of the previous functionality.

To quote an old commercial, "Where's the BEEF?!?"

Regards,

Mr. A

p.s. -- Good one, BTW.

I've Been Around

I'd like to add the following frustration with Navigatr:   When you watch an episode of a show that has multiple episodes and it ends, instead of taking you back to that episode for deletion, Navigatr takes you to the top (ie.  the most recent episode).  If you don't realize this, you will delete an episode you have not yet watched!!   It should always take you back to the episode just watched.  Also, confirmation of deletion should not default to "Delete" -- you should have to consciously set it to Delete before hitting Enter.  This is the way it used to work.

As a former software developer myself, I do not see any evidence that they tested or QA'd this  new product before rolling it out.  Nor did they get any user acceptance from their customers by the looks of it.  Overall, pretty sloppy.

I'm also having a hard time seeing the benefits of Navigatr to the previous version.  All I see are problems.  It should be rolled back until it's fixed and retested.

I was one of the lucky ones that didn't lose my PVR recordings, but my son did and so did one of my best friends.

I'm an Advisor

@Mister_A wrote:

<snip>

It may be more obvious to those of us with a programming background, but the only thing that seems to have changed for me is the tiny font, the lack of visible information, the more obtuse methods to perform previous functions, and the removal of some of the previous functionality.

To quote an old commercial, "Where's the BEEF?!?"

Regards,

Mr. A

If Rogers would  simply change that status of a recording from "scheduled" to "recorded" when the recording starts, it would go loooong way to making this kludge more user friendly.  That way it would be easy to find and watch a progrram a few minutes after it starts (e/g/ ~10 mins for a 30 minute program and ~20 minutes for a 1 hr one to get caught-up by the end).

Many of us have better things to do than spend time watching the same commercial over and over.

Once a recording starts, one can do anything with it that they can do with a fully recorded program.

i.e. watch it, ff, go back, pause. delete etc.  So, if its a spade,  call it one, not some some-to-be-future spade. 

Also ROGERS NAVIGATR FAQs here are some corrections:

Where do I find the shows that are being recorded right now?

With the Navigatr guide, the recording appears at the bottom as it is still being recorded. Once the recording is completed, it will appear at the top of the list.

The recordings are somewhere down in the list, several clicks away. Identified with a red dot. If the show is part of a series, the red dot is not visible, open up the tile with the same program name to find the show with the red dot.

Also the FAQ talks about filtering.  Nothing is filtered, its sorted.  Big difference.

How can I filter sort my recordings?

You can now manage recordings by pressing the C button (one of the 3 red buttons on your remote. CAUTION: if you hit wrong one, your machine will turn off)  on your remote and filtering sorting by alphabetical order or by recording date. We’re always . up working on improving your TV experience, so keep checking back for more incorrect answers. updates.

PS: The 2 examples above weigh heavily on one side of the the "Rogers is Stupid/Smart" discussion.

I Plan to Stick Around

In addition to this danger in deleting recordings that you have not watched, I do not like the way the system re-orders the tiles by "most recent show" every time i watch and delete something.

I try to watch a show in order, and when I finish one and delete it, the placement of the "tile" shifts on the screen to another spot in the date order. Then have to go searching for the show by the date of the next most recent episode. very very very frustrating and miles away from the former functionality of simply listing series by title.
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

In the 'Hello Community!' announcement by RogersStrick (our forums Community Manager) in Msg #349 last Thursday, it was announced that "a small number of Nextbox 2.0 set top boxes" would be receiving a forced factory restore this morning, Monday Aug 17th. As I pointed out shortly afterwards, it unfortunately didn't specificy which ones - as in which Navigatr update affliction(s) it would be attempt to resolve - and I speculated that it might only be the PVRs affected by the blank Settings screen (and apparently related PIN Code issue).. because those customers were unable to initiate the 'Resore Factory Settings' action in the Settings->Troubleshooting menu on the PVR themselves.

Member 'DaveH1' revealed last week that he'd received a robocall about it, so that put me a little more at ease as I had not received such call. Indeed, to my relief, my 8642HD was *not* factory reset this morning. We know from forum postings today that this 'reset' did happen this morning and that it *has*, thankfully, resolved the issues that certain customers were experiencing. It of course wiped the drives of any recordings, but this time it was expected.

It appears that the PIN Code issues/blank Settings issues were a result of an incompatibility/conflict between Navigatr and existing manually-set settings on some customers PVRs.

It follows that once the affected boxes were reset to default 'factory settings' this morning, the same version of Navigatr that was pushed out on July 28th could then be installed without issue.

Can someone who got this morning's 'factory reset' please confirm the Software Version # that appears on the 'System Information' page under Settings -> Troubleshooting?

The version on my PVR, installed on July 28th and not changed since is: Software Version: 5.2.0.0230

I'm an Advisor

@User2014 wrote:
In addition to this danger in deleting recordings that you have not watched, I do not like the way the system re-orders the tiles by "most recent show" every time i watch and delete something.

I try to watch a show in order, and when I finish one and delete it, the placement of the "tile" shifts on the screen to another spot in the date order. Then have to go searching for the show by the date of the next most recent episode. very very very frustrating and miles away from the former functionality of simply listing series by title.

AGREE 1000%

My recommendation to fix the piles-of-tiles problem.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

@Mister_A wrote:

as far as I can see, there was *NO* reason to modify the user interface at all (especially for the PVR), regardless of any back-end modifications to the software, since the basic functionality hasn't changed. (Nor should it -- it's a PVR fercrissakes!!!)

It's been said before: the answer is always money.. it was done to make more money.

With Navigatr, the viewer is exposed to the "MORE LIKE THIS" boxes:-

- when they hit [LIST], and then navigate to and enter a non-series/one-off recording's tile

- after they hit STOP while watching a non-series/one-off recording's title

- when they press [INFO] during live TV then go to 'MORE' in order to toggle CC, Descriptive Audio, set/unset the channel as a Favourite, etc.

And viewers being exposed to the 'MORE LIKE THIS' boxes will bring in more revenue because much of what is recommended..

• is on Shomi, possibly requiring a subscription
  • is On Demand, and not necessarily free
  • is on a non-subscribed, channel
  • is on a non-subscribed PREMIUM channel (Sportsnet World, WWE Network, etc)

3 screenshots from my box..

1. When I hit 'STOP' when watching a recording of "The Situation Room", a news & current events program:
  2. When I entered the Recordings tile for a one-off recording of a CFL football game:
  3. When I enter the Recordings tile for a one-off recording of 1 of the 2 weekly WWE wrestling shows that air on 'regular' channels:

The 'MORE LIKE THIS' recommendations rarely have anything to do with the content you're watching and even if/when they do, the 'MORE LIKE THIS' tiles format allows Rogers to display programming/films without giving a clear *initial* indication that they may or are be 'for pay'. Look at the Search Results in this example where I was looking for an upcoming TV series episode ("Banished") and you'll see something similar:

FYI: a Rogers employee who worked on the old "Quick Start" interface (that's on older boxes) claims that its introduction increased VOD buys by 10%. I'm sure the plan for Navigatr was to repeat that, or generate even greater % increase in 'interactive buy' revenues.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

I agree with you clubhopper. I'm pretty sure it's all about sucking MORE money out of us.

I called Rogers tech support the other day and asked WHY they were implementing Navigatr. They had NO answer for me.

This greed might not be so galling if Rogers actually gave us a PVR that worked RELIABLY.

My PVR has now been corrupted for 2 months. Some days I have to reboot up to 10 or more times just to be able to play recorded programs.

Do you think Rogers has fixed it yet? No.

But they have time to make the PVR MUCH HARDER TO USE with Navigatr.

It's like when they changed the TV listings and added MANY On Demand channels - and they MADE IT IMPOSSIBLE to remove those channels from your TV listings. You can erase other channels from view - but NOT the On Demand channels. Why? Obviously - they want to push is into PAYING for more On Demand content.

I predict the Toronto Star article is NOT going to be the last story written about this behavior by Rogers.

They are going to make a lot of people very angry.
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@theClubHopper wrote:

FYI: a Rogers employee who worked on the old "Quick Start" interface (that's on older boxes) claims that its introduction increased VOD buys by 10%. I'm sure the plan for Navigatr was to repeat that, or generate even greater % increase in 'interactive buy' revenues.

I sincerely hope this royally backfires on them and they lose far more from customers who move to Bell Fibe or other viewing solutions that they gain from trying to hawk they premium movies/channels.

I presume the Settings page  (PVR Settings / Related Content Setting/Don't Show) that was there in RTN 5.1 has now disappeared, like several other features from 5.1 ?

PS - those search results are a sick joke - 6 tiles just say Banished with absolutely no detail.  You have to dig into each one to find what it is?  What an utter piece of garbage.

@neilpalmer400 wrote:

I presume the Settings page  (PVR Settings / Related Content Setting/Don't Show) that was there in RTN 5.1 has now disappeared, like several other features from 5.1 ?

Neil, you must have missed the posts where people mentioned that that the setting *is* there but toggling it to the "Don't show" position has no effect!