New Nextbox Navigator

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: New Nextbox Navigator

@gregneff  Very valid question - without seeing it myself, I couldn't comment - hopefully the rogers technical staff and programmers can replicate what you have seen. It is well described so they should be able to. If not it becomes one of those illusive bugs that happen in programming that takes a lot of trouble shooting to figure it out and come up with a fix. It is kind of like the vibration in my car. Yes, it has a lose rack and pinion mount on the right side, yes, it had a lose muffler, and breaking joints on the muffler, but ultimately after fixing those, the vibration and noise was still there - the engine mount on one side has disolved and I have a motor sitting on metal, vibrating the whole car and ultimate losening everything until I end up with one thing after another rattling and falling off eventually.  179.00 for the mount would have saved a few other very expensive fixes, but no one caught it until now.  Programming is very similiar.

Replicate it yourself a few times and communiticate it as well as you did hear to the technical support, or if you can get to a higher level all the better.

Best of luck.

Bruce

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thanks for the clarification.  Is it possible that the PVR had started recording a new programme on that channel - say at the half hour or on the hour?  That may explain this "odd" bar behaviour.  Otherwise I guess I'm at a loss, unless the bar updates in increments.

Again, to avoid these sorts of issues, use "record" instead of "pause".

I'm a Senior Advisor

@gregneff wrote:

1) The green bar gradually increased in size.  This is as expected.

2) The green bar suddenly decreased to about 1/5 of the size it had been.

3) A short while later (a few minutes) the short green bar was suddenly replaced by a red bar followed by a green bar, both of equal length, the total length appearing to be about the same length as the green bar in 1) above.

The disjointed and non-linear behaviour is the issue in this case.  I would have expected the green bar to gradually change in size, and the red bar to gradually increase from nothing, as the buffered recording is a gradually increasing and then moving window.

First of all, if all you're doing is pausing live TV and then resuming and everything is working, don't worry about it. Perhaps Navigatr is displaying information you don't need, or interpreting it incorrectly. You know that recorded material gets compressed to save disk space, so maybe that's involved.  Maybe once Navigatr is fully debugged and fixed, they will document what you're seeing and what it means, or maybe not. If you might want to rewind what you're watching, you can always press the Record button early on so the buffer gets saved.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I Plan to Stick Around

Another issue.  While we were away we had some series scheduled to be recorded.  One of these was True Detective.  It was the series finale, and was to be 1-1/2 hours instead of the usual 1 hour.  For this True Detective episode only 30 minutes was recorded, and what was recorded was part of a different show altogether.  Fortunately, we were able to get the show On Demand, but this is another failure at a time when we have been subjected to repeated failures.  Has any else had scheduled series recordings messed up after the Navigatr installation?

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Hi Greg. So the total length of the recording was 30 min?

I don't have Navigatr yet, but on my NB3 the scheduled recording for the finale wasn't showing up at all (maybe because it started 1 minute late, I think, and was 1 1/2 hours long - so I had to go into the TV Guide and add it manually. It then recorded OK.

I Plan to Stick Around

Yes I find I have to record "at any time" and end "five minutes after" because if a show comes on at 9 but actually comes at 9:01 it won't pick it up otherwise. This happens a lot with sitcoms that actually run 31 or 32 minutes now so you don't get the last couple of minutes.

This is another reason the list format was much better. You could see at a glance if a show got picked up to record or not.
I Plan to Stick Around

And set programs to end recording 5 minutes after
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

This is one area where the firmware could be made so much better. If you set a timeslot recording (like for True Detective) and the broadcaster airs it at 9:01 instead of 9:00, it won't record. The "blame" should really rest with the broadcaster, not the provider, but if the provider had firmware that could compensate (say within a 5 minute "window") then you could set a timeslot recording and this eventuality would be covered.

If you set an "any time" recording, then you may get a bunch of duplicate recordings for something like True Detective which airs many times.  If you set a "new" episode recording, you can miss out too if the "new" tag is missing, as it sometimes is.  Luckily True Detective was re-aired many times this week.  For HBO and TMN I usually add 15 minutes to the end, although 5 is usually enough. For live programming (like sports) I almost always add 1-3 hours depending on the event.

One thing the firmware does do correctly is extend the recording if it shows up in the IPG as one hour this week instead of 1/2 hour, etc.  Sometimes the IPG doesn't get updated properly, but that's the IPG suppliers' fault (Rogers doesn't do the IPG info)

I realize that not everyone has access to the "AnyPlace" App, however, if you do, that's a good place to schedule and check your recordings. Much better for searches and for scheduling/checking than on the PVR itself.

Highlighted
Community Manager (Retired) RogersStrick
Community Manager (Retired)

Hello Community!

As you are aware, unfortunately we have had some issues with the Navigatr rollout and sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this has caused our customers.

In order to correct the issues permanently, a factory restore will be performed automatically on a small number of Nextbox 2.0 set top boxes that have the Navigatr guide. This factory reset will happen automatically on Monday, August 17 early in the morning.  

Unfortunately, this reset is unavoidable and will cause all of your existing settings to be deleted including your PVR recordings and parental controls. Please ensure you watch any existing recordings before this time. You will need to re-enter any of your existing settings such as future PVR recordings and parental controls starting the morning of August 17th.  

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this may cause you and thank you for your continued patience as we work to improve your TV experience.

Additional updates will be provided as new information becomes available.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

@57 wrote:

Sometimes the IPG doesn't get updated properly, but that's the IPG suppliers' fault (Rogers doesn't do the IPG info)

57 - a little quick to absolve Rogers of responsibility there I think.  It IS Rogers responsibility because they gave the contract to the current guide supplier (no doubt the lowest bidder, or owned by the CEO's brother in law), and they have had numerous complaints about the poor quality of the guide information.  Of course they took the usual Rogers approach to those complaints, stuck their heads where the sun don't shine (of course I mean in the sand).  Smiley Wink