New Nextbox Navigator

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: New Nextbox Navigator

@BS wrote:

I want my DOS and Linux and IBM raw code back.  In windows, I still hit the command line for many things and I am very glad that Microsoft has allowed those of us who want to do that to be able to go to what we know,

Bruce,

BINGO ! You’ve hit upon the answer to one of the big issues with Navigatr, the ability to find your recorded programs easily.

A Linux command line interface so we can all use grep.

Gotta be easier than what you have to go through now.  Smiley LOL

Neil (another programmer) Palmer

I'm an Advisor

I have only one question (for anyone who can answer): What *additional* functionality, or *improved* performance, has this so-called upgrade delivered?

Frankly, I don't see any, so why do it at all, if it's just a fashion statement?

I am also waiting to see what happens, but so far I'd be satisfied with the previous system, sans upgrades.

We will both wait and see. Thank you all for your interesting posts.

All the best,

Mr A

(Help: pls PM me if you know how to  unstick my text )

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Just throwing this out there: How about this so called upgrade is a Big Data thing wherein Rogers needed to capture/group/tabulate what we are recording/watching/when/how many times/how long/ etc. Lets assume they were/are collecting this data but needed it to be more concise so they created a (in their minds) a better mouse trap. If I am recording my favorite shows (a series)  I am definitly fast forwarding through the commercials this is not good for Rogers. If they have the data supporting our viewing habits (New style Nielson) then they can generate more advertising revenues. I assumed they had this data before now but maybe streaming services Netflix, CraveTV and even Shomi have opened their eyes to generate better statistics for selling advertising more targeted than before. Why would they risk so much backlash to give us something we didn't ask for. 

I'm an Advisor

@KWoo wrote:

I believe there was supposed to be some kind of announcement today via the Community Blog. I haven't heard or seen anything.....did I miss it or is it still coming? If it's the latter, do we have a timeline on when we'll get the big announcement? 

You mean:

Stay tuned for Thursday's Blog, where we will post the updated roll out schedule for the Navigatr guide.

All I saw in the blog was that firm roll-out dates, most of which have passed anyway, were removed

and are now "coming soon".

PS: Some (all?) of  us who got the July 28 new Navigatr software got an upload last night.

Other than taking a very long time to load and turning the PVR clock-on in our bedroom PVR,

nothing else seemed to change, today.  I had to reset the clock-off when the machine is off.

I'm an Advisor

@Leepat wrote:

Just throwing this out there: How about this so called upgrade is a Big Data thing wherein Rogers needed to capture/group/tabulate what we are recording/watching/when/how many times/how long/ etc. Lets assume they were/are collecting this data but needed it to be more concise so they created a (in their minds) a better mouse trap. If I am recording my favorite shows (a series)  I am definitly fast forwarding through the commercials this is not good for Rogers. If they have the data supporting our viewing habits (New style Nielson) then they can generate more advertising revenues. I assumed they had this data before now but maybe streaming services Netflix, CraveTV and even Shomi have opened their eyes to generate better statistics for selling advertising more targeted than before. Why would they risk so much backlash to give us something we didn't ask for. 

Possible. But then why change the UI, if they just want to spy on us?

Q: Do the get any revenues showing commercials?.

Thought that went to the TV broadcaster (of which Rogers owns a few)

I'm a Senior Advisor

I said I wouldn't be back for a while until I saw some new thing.  I had set up to record the final Daily show tonight. This afternoon, the recording was there scheduled in that second list inside the tile.  

Well, we were watching the show when it came on, we paused it for a while to talk amongst ourselves about the debate, and then we realized the red light for recording was not on.  At this point, we still can't find the show in our recordings.

Oh well, fortunately it plays at other times of the day.  Maybe it is because the show is an hour long today and original start end time is half hour. Who knows, I give up trying to understand.

Don't know whether this was reported before, but add it to the list - yah you know that list some of us have asked for.

Good night, I remain calm, cool and collected. Thanks for the support everyone, the understanding when I occasionally react to a message I didn't fully comprehend, and I am sure the unspoken care and concern as I spoke of my illness, which I mention as part of my own mission to destymatize mental illness, to educate about my illness, and I am proud to say I am more than my illness, but it is still a part of me.  My public service annoncement for the day.

Take care everyone. This has been fun. One to beam up Scotty.  I am out of here. and no BS here, just me, Bruce.

I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers, PLEASE abandon the new Navigatr and roll back all of us poor souls to the previous PVR guide. Even ignoring the issue with rollout clobbering recordings, there are SO MANY problems with the new Navigatr that I don't even feel it's worth fixing. For instance:

- The new boxes view is essentially useless. I can no longer view separate lists of current recordings and upcoming recordings. What good is it to tell me there's two episodes of Suits when neither one has been recorded yet? I can't view my current recordings or upcoming recordings ordered by date. I can't see what's currently recording. I can't see my upcoming recordings if there are no episodes scheduled in the next few weeks. Titles are cropped. I have to drill down into boxes to see descriptions.

- I can't view the info on a recording that I'm watching without first stopping it.

- I used to be able to press stop and then immediately delete the current recording. Now when I press stop I'm returned to the listing with the most recent episode in the list selected. I've now deleted at least two new rcordings unintentionally due to this.

The list goes on. It's obvious there wasn't enough user acceptance testing done on this and your customers hate it. It's time to kill it. Please!

Forum readers, please feel free to chime in, either with a +1 or a list of the issues you've identified.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@. wrote:

@Leepat wrote:

Possible. But then why change the UI, if they just want to spy on us?

Q: Do the get any revenues showing commercials?.

Thought that went to the TV broadcaster (of which Rogers owns a few)

Most of this is fairly moot, i think, at least in the terms of 'spying'/what is watched for ratings wise.

These would be calculated at the times of AIRING.

Weither WATCHING live, or recording, a tuner in the box, is tuned into the channel.
In the eyes of 'ratings' it would be being VIEWED.

At least my understanding.

I Plan to Stick Around

I have an idea - why don't we all grep/awk/bash thinking and Navigatr suffering users join forces and show them how it is done! 

Should not be too hard to do it if anyoone has a box which is their property and is willing to hack into it