New Nextbox Navigator

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: New Nextbox Navigator

Could not have said it better!

I'm a Trusted Contributor

@OLDYELLR wrote:

Yes, I suppose the NB3 is as underpowered handling 8 recordings as the NB2 is handling two. I have an SA8300HD and hardly ever wish I could record more than 2 shows at once because I use timeshift in those cases. I also don't have any of the problems you guys are having. In my opinion, recording 8 shows only encourages hoarding and clutter. Smiley Very Happy

Knowing Rogers the thinking behind the capability to schedule 8 programs at the same time was probably that at least ONE of them might actually work, so you'd at least have something to watch.    Smiley LOL

I'm an Advisor

@neilpalmer400 wrote:

@OLDYELLR wrote:

Yes, I suppose the NB3 is as underpowered handling 8 recordings as the NB2 is handling two. I have an SA8300HD and hardly ever wish I could record more than 2 shows at once because I use timeshift in those cases. I also don't have any of the problems you guys are having. In my opinion, recording 8 shows only encourages hoarding and clutter. Smiley Very Happy

Knowing Rogers the thinking behind the capability to schedule 8 programs at the same time was proably that at least ONE of them might actually work, so you'd at least have something to watch.    Smiley LOL

Have/had all 3 machines. IMHO:

The silver wonder 8300HD was a great machine for its day. Had one for 10+ years. 

Like the VW beetle, it got you there.

NB2 was/is a very poor replacement. Very slow to respond, laggy, easy to freeze, slow to reboot etc.)

Like the old Lada/Fiat not sure if it will.

The NB3 is fast/responsive like the silver wonder, can record more programs than you need to, no worries about running out of storage space.  Am curious how it can record 8 at once without performance issues.

Like a BMW anything, this machine hums!   

RE why ever record more than 2 at once ?

I like watching and recording 3-4 of the 6:30PM newscasts and newschannels at once (can't get those timeshifted).

Watch one, skip commercials, and check/scan others for unique items.

Navigatr makes that difficult to do until the programs are fully recorded.

(Changing a program from the scheduled category to recorded when the recording starts rather then when it finishes would help greatly).

I'm an Advisor

@BS wrote:

I have actually grown to like some of the features of the new box. It is unfortunate that the effort put into the front side of viewing shows, and ease recording shows, the new banner, etc didn't reach out and fully understand the impact on "listing" recorded shows for viewing, compared to future recorded scheduled shows, and series recordings.

I was relizing today as I wandered through the tiles, trying to remind myself, what was in each category, that it is kind of like playing that old card game, "concentration". Can you remember what is lying under the cards and pick the correct ones?

Hey BS:

How about colour coding the tiles, more hard to read text will not fit !

BTW Can you have more than 1 series in tile?

At least add onto the tiles information that there are say, 2 recorded shows, 1 scheduled, and one series. I know that will fill the tile probably, and will conflict with the idea of putting the picture art for the shows, but there has to be a way to differentiate the scheduled, recorded, and future recording series easily, so we don't have to play "concentration". I am aging with a mental handicap, and my memory is not great. I need things visually in front of me and easy to find. Just a comment.  Either that, or I will need to have step by step processes easily found so that I can work with it and relearn as my memory fails.

The other concern is that we are still basically in the dark in terms of any official statement by Rogers on all that has happened. Most people do not know about the forums, but when we do call in, they do now mention it as a source, the list of all the tutorials that are available, other than the basic ones on the nextbox on demand, and the ones on websites, are very hard to find.  We got a link from someone a while back, at http://www.rogers.com/web/content/search?scope=global&term=navigatr - how about a moderator pin this to the TV section so we don't have to search it. It is not complete, sure, but it is a start on help guides.

I'm Here A Lot

Okay Rogers.  Time to state on your website the major issue you are having with Navigatr.  I have spoke with at least 8 of my friends are we are all pretty mad at the lack of communication about the issue.  I can only imagine how many others are.  We pay good money every month for our services.  Granted, I understand that there are technical issues from time to time.  However be open about them. It would be nice if you could give us a guideline as to when a fix is coming.  Actually it would be nice if you publicly stated that you have an actual issue.  This is ridiculous.  Funny a nice Bell pamphlet came to my door today.  I could actually get more for what I currently pay with you guys.  As this continues, it's starting to look pretty good for a time to change.

The clock is ticking and change is in the air....

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While i agree it should be more on the FRONT page upfront.
They did put an annoucement on their website, in the TV section.

https://www.rogers.com/web/link/ptvBrowsePackagesFlowBegin?forwardTo=landing

Scroll down to the bottom.

They have stated on here at least, that a fix IS comming, hopefully in the next week or so.
But MOST places it seems now a days, not just rogers, try to steer away from giving exacts in something like this.
You say a fix should be ready in 7 days, and its NOT (due to technical reasons, cant fix the bug yet, etc).. people get even more upset that the timeframe was not met.....  Smiley Sad

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Since Rogers NOW realizes there are many issues with this new navigator and have stopped the rollout could you PLEASE put back the old version, the new one is terrible. At least put it back for the customers that want it.....ME !!!

I'm a Senior Advisor

I thought I was done finding weird things with the box - I had a recording for Who do you think you are, which I watched the show from July 26th, with Ginnifer Goodwin. I thought I had deleted it. So I am proceeding to move on to the next show to watch and the information shows August 2nd show with J.K. Rawling. Nope, that is not what I am seeing.

At the beginning when I play, I see the last 10 minutes of Ginnifer Goodwin, then we start with seeing the show for July 30 with Christina Applegate. This is actually a show from 2013, so guess TLC decided to fill a bit with an older show. Can't find the August 2 show with J.K. Rawling anywhere.

I am set up for recording new shows on any day. So this is probably where the extra show got recorded, but I am left befuddled.  Oh Fuddle Duddle - showing my age.  Why am I in the show marked J.K. Rawling August 2nd, seeing the end of the July 26th show, then the July 30th, 2013 show (that is an addition) by TLC, so that is ok, I hadn't seen it before, so lucked out there., but J.K. Rawling nowhere to be found. 

One under scheduled for Aug 9th, it is the correct show as scheduled. Wonder what I will be viewing after that given this one I just described.  Obviously from my perspective, I cannot trust the recording and playback of the box and this is a NB3.

Another interesting quirk I found - while using info to go back and forth to study this one, I would click the resume button once and it would come up at either the beginng, or 10 to 15 minutes before where I left off.  Click information again, click resume, and it takes me back to where I left off. Near the end of the show, I got something different, I clicked info, and it gave the option to watch, no option to resume.  Click play, sorry, watch, and it goes back to the start of the show from the 26th, click info again, and now I see resume available, and I make it back to where I left off.  Go figure - I give up predicting what this crazy box is going to do.

I am very tired of being the beta tester. I read the information posted earlier about what some had heard about testing.  This doesn't surprise me.  When I was confronted by the online billing not working on Chrome, the person on the phone I was working with, was on Explorer - she said that is the only browser they have available, and it worked fine. That was true, I  could see the print/view button on Explorer, and later in the forum posts, someone reports that if we go to 75% view, we could see it all.  So it appears that testing is very limited in the use of "real day to day user groups" and also devices.  Wonder if the staff testers had testing on NB2 and NB3.  My guess is no.

So what strange thing am I going to find next, and guess I will have to go online and see if I can find the August 2nd show of Who do you think you are.

And the saga continues.  Would love it if someone would do as suggested earlier and make a list of everything that has been found, which ones we can work around, which ones we can't, so I can at least live with what we have for now, hoping for fixes to come.  I don't have the time, we are over 200 posts to review in here.

And I am still left wondering whether they did good testing on the menu viewing structures, they even made videos for us to see in advance and those did look really great. I wonder if they did a full testing of the full device related to the PVR record, series, and playback side.  Obviously not, just look at the error I just found, and we keep finding more.

To be continued..  I thought I was done.  BS

When does this all end.

I'm an Advisor

@BS wrote:

I thought I was done finding weird things with the box .......

Another interesting quirk I found - while using info to go back and forth to study this one, I would click the resume button once and it would come up at either the beginng, or 10 to 15 minutes before where I left off.  Click information again, click resume, and it takes me back to where I left off. Near the end of the show, I got something different, I clicked info, and it gave the option to watch, no option to resume.  Click play, sorry, watch, and it goes back to the start of the show from the 26th, click info again, and now I see resume available, and I make it back to where I left off.  Go figure - I give up predicting what this crazy box is going to do.

Same on my NB3. Kind of a neat bug/feature, keep clicking and eventually you'll end up where you left off.

And the saga continues.  Would love it if someone (ROGERS MAYBE ?)  would do as suggested earlier and make a list of everything that has been found, which ones we can work around, which ones we can't, so I can at least live with what we have for now, hoping for fixes to come.  I don't have the time, we are over 200 posts to review in here.

And I am still left wondering whether they did good testing on the menu viewing structures, they even made videos for us to see in advance and those did look really great. I wonder if they did a full testing of the full device related to the PVR record, series, and playback side.  Obviously not, just look at the error I just found, and we keep finding more.

Saw those "how to use Navigatr" videos.

Too simple & too short. They would be useful useful for managing a VCR, but not a NB3.

To be continued..  I thought I was done.  BS

When does this all end.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

BS

It's ROGERS job to compile a list of EVERY glitch/bug/error that has been mentioned in these forum threads on Navigatr.

As Rogers customers have been used (AGAIN !) as unpaid Beta (Alpha ?) testers, they should at least have the courtesy to acknowledge that, and use the results of that unpaid testing to fix the problems.

THEN I know they won't post that full list of bugs here for us to confirm nothing is missing, BUT I would be satisfied if SOMEONE FROM ROGERS at least posted something along the lines of:

"Yes, we have compiled a list of issues after reading ALL these posts, it has been passed on to the Navigatr team, and is being used to correct the identified issues.  We will also continue to monitor these forums for additional problems that our customers may identify."

Then, to REALLY make me happy, they should commit to NOT continuing the rollout until those issues are corrected.

BUT, we all know they won't do that, because according to one of the moderators yesterday, they are going to post on the blog TODAY a revised rollout schedule.  Unless those dates end with 2016 we KNOW they are going to charge ahead and push this out WITHOUT addressing all the issues their customers (unpaid involuntary testers) have identified.

Now what REALLY turns my crank is that, after repeatedly complaining to Rogers of issues in the old RTN code released back in 2012 (and talking to some of those responsible, and also the office of the President) I was told back in March/April that a new update was coming that would solve ALL the problems. That new update now has a name, Navigatr.

Now RTN HAS had several bugs corrected over the last 3 years, and some enhancements.  Admittedly some to push additional marketing directed application development like the useless Recommendation app, BUT some useful enhancements were also made, like the ability to turn OFF the recommendation app  Smiley LOL  and the Select Multiple Recordings and delete option (although that can lock up your box sometimes so you have to unplug it if you have Whole Home PVR and accidentally try to delete entries from the other PVR that have already been deleted, but never removed from the other PVR's list, as often happens still because of lousy 2-way communication between 9865 & 8642). 

Then there was the MAJOR enhancement of putting Resume Play as the FIRST option in the list, above Play From Start (I know that one must have taken many months of development  Smiley Wink  ). 

So, HOW ON EARTH, after debugging RTN for 3 years and improving it to the point it was fairly usable, they thought it would solve ALL problems by releasing a totally new UN-DEBUGGED user interface on paying customers and start the whole debug/fix cycle all over again I SIMPLY CAN'T COMPREHEND !

ALSO - as they apparently did NO testing whatsoever with rolling this code out to 8642 boxes, you can bet they have done NO TESTING WHATSOEVER with a Whole Home PVR setup, ESPECIALLY one like mine with two PVR's (9865, 8642 & 4642).

PS - If you want to know why I still have an 8642 there, it's a (free) backup box, and the ONLY one that consistently starts recordings at the exact right scheduled time so you don't miss the start of a show, whereas my 9865 (I'm on my third one) consistently starts recording from 10 to 75 seconds late.