New Nextbox Navigator

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: New Nextbox Navigator

LOL! Yesterday I got an email from Rogers promoting NAVIGATR and I don't even have a Nextbox.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Senior Advisor

Glad to here I am not the only one with issues. And all sarcasm aside did anyone think about font size and how much change would be incurred by users and ask which they prefer. The whole business of rcorded shows is a total pain. Not easier at all. Add it to the list of changes. New billing new navigator delayed billing. I am beginning to get a bit overloaded and annoyed with too much change at the same time. Please bigger fonts. We all have deteriating vision as we age. Unfortunate but true. I am going to guess the testers weren't ashed to sit back from a big screen TV eight feet away and all had great vision. Can't imagine what people with smaller screens are going through.
I'm a Senior Advisor

Left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing as of late, or maybe it is a matter of way two many hands in the pot.
I'm Here A Lot

The chimps are on the case!!!!

I'm a Senior Advisor

Playing around with the new navigator, there are lots of things I do like and do find easier and faster, but the only way you can now sort and find your recordings now is by most recent recorded, or alphabetically. I often cannot fully remember what I have recorded, and I like to scan by date to find things, as I remember generally when I recorded it. Further, like in a PC view of explorer windows, you can view by details, by list, by icon. This change seems to change us to one model of view - by icon only. We need the option of seeing details in a list view to ease the finding of our recordings. The icon box view chops off the full title of the show and you can seen what is inside the box and number of episodes. These icons are basically folders with the single or multiple recordings inside. Once you go in you can see the shows and the font gets smaller the more programs that are in there. I have one with over 5 shows, that is the maximum it shows on one page, and the font is 1 cm high on my 46 inch screen. That is constant throughout the viewed saved shows, but the problem is that as there are more shows, the spacing between letters, known as kerning, becomes smaller, so the letters are then crowded together making them less readable. So my issue is one, the font height and the kerning. (space between text). May not be an easy programming change, but as we used to be able to do, we could choose between the classic and new menu, how about if we could choose between a list or "folder" view. Seems interesting that on the remote, it says list. The original programmers had it right in the first place - the list of full details makes life easier. The putting of the various menu options for saving, deleting, recording on the right hand side also makes things easier. So in summary, if you are going to stay with this model, I can live with it and learn, I will just have to fish through the folders to find what I want based upon most recent viewed sort, but this font issue has to be dealt with. I am going blind fast enough already in terms of being able to read text at distance or close. This is why I use large fonts on my computer, read large text books, keep magnifying glass handy and use zoom and other tools on my computer to assist me with accommodating my visual acuity. Thanks for putting out the note to clarify that you had delayed full roll out due to a problem for some people. Keep letting the board know what is working and not working - in a sense, we are the testers. I am not confident that they are using a representative sampling of testers when they do their development and beta testing. The development teams may want to look into a new model of design and programming called AGILE management tools, which integrates all teams of developers, designers, programmers, developers, users and support staff into constant communication so that feedback is moving quickly back and forth between all people involved in the final end product and making it meet the user's needs. Basically, what that would look like would be a board like this, where representatives from design, engineering, implementation, support, and users are communicating back and forth, so that everyone required to deal with issues are in the loop, rather than moderators and monitors sending material back to development teams, and we the users are left waiting to know what is happening. Then a number of days or weeks later, we learn that changes are coming. The new models facilitate faster communication and change.  Not to say that this is for general knowledge and support issues and knowledge clarification like much of what is on this board, I am speaking of feedback on development and rollout of new designs and programming.  Athough I think the model may have benefits for any type of feedback, just different teams involved. And it goes PM when it becomes an individual issue like we now have. Here's to further growth and making the user's life easier and faster.  BS

I've Been Here Awhile

Navigatr: list of recordings

I just got the new Navigatr on my Nextbox. When I press the LIST key I get a list of all the recordings; HOWEVER, the only way to know if it is a recorded program or a scheduled recording is to select the recording. This is a wasted effort. There should be a visual cue to show whether it is recorded or not OR keep the recorded and scheduled recordings separate.

Also, the page forward and back keys are disabled.

And, I keep setting the option to list the recordings alphabetically but it keeps resetting itself to "most recently recorded".

I've Been Here Awhile

I agree wholeheartedly. I don't think the software was tested at all with real consumers! Hopefully Rogers (or whoever programmed this) will either give us back the old version until they fix all these issues OR they fix the issues very quickly ... Like within a few days.
I Plan to Stick Around

Hasn't been rolled out to me yet, but now I'm dreading when it does happen. The font issue sounds like the developers never tested it on actual TVs and lonely tested with their monitors where they're only a foot away from the screen.
I Plan to Stick Around

While we are at the topic of "hard to resolve  issues" - it feels like the quality of the "Navigator" will be such issue, and with that in mind I will reiterate the comments that I posted in my deleted posts, organized as per standards I am using when acting in my professional life:

System: NextBox 3.0 HD PVR, Software: New Navigatr Guide 

1. Deployment Issues: 

1.1. About half of my future recording based created by  "Record as Series" entries were deleted by the upgrade - some future recordings are kept

1.2 According to the Support Representative, clicking List button twice is supposed to display defined "Record as Series" entries; this does not work on my box and I was told that the reason for it may be an incomplete deployment.

2. General Product Bugs 

2.1. Settings > System > Channel to Start Up  : the actual value used will be one less than set in the System Settings e.g. setting the starting channel to 24 will cause the receiver to "wake up" in channel 23. This is tested with values 24 and 25.

3. Poor Design and Features of User Interface

3.1. Exceptionally small and hard-to-read font for all descriptions  - this is complemented by a lack of any ability to change fonts in the interface

3.2 No visual cues which "recordings" entries are actually folders and which are single recordings - augmented by the fact that some existing recordings with multiple entries are displayed both in the folder and scattered individually throughout the list

3.3 With recording selected, the Watch and Delete buttons are right beside one another - making accidental deletes very easy to happen  - made worse by lack of refresh after the recording is deleted; you can press watch button over and over again for the already deleted recording

3.4 List of recording items shown within big empty gray boxes - supposedly designed to accommodate pictures in some future release -  this is a pure waste of screen real estate and makes scrolling and visual searching left and right at same time as up and down mandatory - opposite to GUI design best practices

3.5 Rogers on Demand Search on a show displays limited list of episodes - no interface to check available seasons and/or more episodes than the arbitrary selection

Please note that the above list is what I compiled within 1 hour of having a chance to work with this upgrade.

In my original post, I called on Rogers to remove the "upgrade" and think more carefully before making highly advertised and frankly - poorly thought through and tested  - changes. As I now see that there is a serious effort to push the Natvigatr through at all cost ( A Quote from the Rogers FAQ section - highlights are mine: "Unfortunately, you won’t be able to revert to your old guide, but we’ve made these changes to improve your experience with your NextBox. We understand they might be hard to get used to, so we’ve put together these videos to help you out. We believe that once you get used to the new version, you’ll love it), I will not repeat that call.

I will simply state that the question of usability will be high on my priority list when deciding  to stay with Rogers or go elsewhere for TV content 

I'm a Senior Advisor

I just want to say that I like most of the new changes, they do make it easier and quicker in many places. I haven't decided about the banner. It produces a delay in changes between channels. The banner has to come up, then the picture comes up. Reminds me of what I hated about satellite tv boxes, the great delay in navigating. I tried turning it off, but problem then is that your channel is no longer on screen. You can't get it from menu, or information. It does not show the channel, you have to go to the menu, or until the screen switches back to time on the box, you can see the channel momentarily.  I want it for the channel, but really don't like the delay. I have driven my family nuts testing every feature.

Left with the concern around how listing of recordings and future recordings work - want them separate, not mixed together, like a list view, not this folder view, but like the options to work with recording, setting, and managing that is on the right side.  The font issue absolutely has to be dealt with, and I don't know the answer to the banner. But one thing I have learned if you push the play button for a moment, it will go to slow speed, but you will see the channel at the top, and hit it again and you get the normal speed back. Kind of a weird work around if you choose to turn the banner option off.

Maybe if you could set it to choose to not have banner come up, have the channel come up at the top corner as with vcr controls, then use the menu to bring it up momentarily when you choose to see it.

Just suggestions, no it costs money and time, but I am beginning to get a feeling that there is limited testing and feedback with the "real" consumers and a wide representation of consumers. You will pay for it in advance by expanding the user pool involved in the process, but you will have more happy customers and you have committed the company to improving customer satisfaction and support.  This is not a new problem in development. System designers, software and hardware engineers, network engineers, external support companies, the developers, the testers, the redesign and quality teams, the support teams and most importantly the users (we pay for it all and use it), all think differently and it is critical that we are included early in development, not to find problems and then debug the user interface due to incomplete design to cover a full range of users.  It has existed in the field for years. Ever tried as a user to talk to a techie who does not have people skills and a techie trying to talk to a user.  But it can be done, there are excellent models and it looks like your notice on the new resident expert team and their private communication board may be a good example of how they can link us to the development and implementation teams.

Well, retired as I am, I don't have to deal with this everyday, but I can be sympathetic of all the players, but it doesn't relinquish the importance of finding a forum to get all these players working together. Reduced frustration and greater satisfaction for users and employess, support teams, alike. We all come away more happy.

Keep up the feedback and hard work everybody.

BS