New NextBox Doesn't Work with Older Model TV??

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

New NextBox Doesn't Work with Older Model TV??

My net box will no longer record shows. Box says Hder on it.
I went & got new net Box but it says no signal & screen is black tv is 2010. I tried it on a newer tv my 2014 Tv and it only works on that tv. The older net box that show the error still allows me to see the channels though. I don't understand why new box only works on newer tv?

**Labels Added**

Re: New NextBox Doesn't Work with Older Model TV??

Hello @Angelb,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 😃

I can imagine how disappointing it was to have your NextBox stop working, all of a sudden. It is very strange that the new unit is not working on the same TV. It may be that you are tuned into the wrong input. Can you try reconnecting it to the TV and scroll through all of the available HDMI inputs using the TV Remote?

Depending on your TV you may have 2 or 3, each HDMI port is labeled with a number for easier identification. You could speed up the whole process by confirming which HDMI port you have it plugged into on the back of the TV.

I hope this helps!

RogersTony

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

We need some additional information from you.

1. What are the exact model numbers of your boxes? (9865, 8642, etc)

2. What are the exact make and model of your TVs?

3. How are you connecting from the boxes to the TVs.

While you get that information, here's some initial feedback.

A black screen can be the result of being on the incorrect TV input as indicated above, or perhaps a poor signal at your home or neighbourhood.  You can call Rogers and have them check the signal at your home/neighbourhood.  Here's a post on that topic:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M42...

The HDer is a hard drive error.  Perhaps the hard drive has failed and needs to be replaced.  Once I know the exact model of your box, I can provide a link on replacing the drive.

Older TVs may have firmware that is incompatible with the newest firmware on the boxes if you're using HDMI as a connection.  The handshake between the two may not be working properly. Make sure you've updated the firmware on your TVs so that the handshake takes place appropriately.

If there is an issue with the output format of the box, you can either tell it to use a different format - say 1080i instead of 1080P under the Settings.  Or you might be able to use a different connection - say component video instead of HDMI. Get back to us with the information requested.

I've Been Here Awhile

I have tried all the ports I have 4. The 2 cable boxes have the same numbers 9865. I have 3 tv. 2 from 2010 & new box won't work on either Samsung & sony tv. It works on the 2014 Toshiba. The info for Tv where I can only watch & not record is 1920x1080@60hz. I have no options to change this. When I called rogers told me to call Samsung & they said rogers must of changed something in their updates. & rogers said my tv from 2010 is old so that why it's not working.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Angelb : Here's my feedback.

1. If you wish to replace the iHDD of the 9865 that doesn't record, here's the thread on that topic:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-rogers-cable-tv-hd-pvr-discussion/211002-upgrade-replace-ihdd-98...

2. The 9865 will typically work with any TV, but you may need to tell the box to send a signal that the TV will accept.  I wasn't talking about the TV "info" but rather to properly set up the 9865 itself.  For the 9865: Press "Settings" - Appearance - and select 1080i (or 720P) as any HDTV will typically accept a 1080i signal.  You may need to do this when the 9865 is connected to the "working" TV and then move that 9865 to the older TV.  It may currently be set to 1080P which the older TV may not be able to handle.  I cannot confirm this because you didn't provide me with the exact model numbers of the TVs that don't work as I requested.

3. If you cannot get the HDMI connection to work, you may need to use component video (red/green/blue cables for video) and analogue audio (red/white for audio).

4. Most TVs have firmware updates available. Have you gone into the TV's menu system and tried downloading the latest firmware?  The TV will need to be connected to the internet to do this (via WiFi or Ethernet), or the operating manual may suggest another method for updating the TV's firmware.

I've Been Here Awhile

Last night rogers did another update on netbox as I watching tv when it happened. This morning I turned tv on & now the Hder error message is gone & I Can record my shows again. I did lose all the ones that were previously recorded.
Thanks for your help. I just hope that next time they do an update I won't lose everything again.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Angelb :

Glad to hear your issue is resolved.

1. Did you ask them to do a factory reset on the box or call them about your problems?  "Restore Factory Settings" (under Settings - scroll up one to Troubleshooting) will sometimes cure problems that are not cured with a simple reboot, however, you do lose all your settings like favourites, other settings, as well as your recordings.  A normal reboot cures most problems, but may not go far enough in some instances, but it doesn't change your settings, nor does it erase your recordings.

2. Does this mean you're able to watch on your older TVs?

3. If you hear "clicking" (instead of the normal soft "thudding") when the iHDD is recording or playing back, then your hard drive may be on its last legs...

I Plan to Stick Around

My mothers box froze this morning.  I unplugged it and replugged and it cycled boot about 3 times.  The boot cycle finally stuck and the time displayed.  Upon turning it on, all recordings have been deleted and it looks like it was factory reset.

All functions work except recordings to the HDD.  The front display shows "HdEr"

Can anyone tell me how to reformat the drive?  I am aware that these devices are basically end of life but my mother is elderly and upgrading to ignite is not an option.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ecar : Are her favourites or other settings still showing?  It may simply be a bad hard drive, which may need replacing. Try a few more reboots and try the following for formatting: This assumes she has an 8642 or a 9865.

1. On Rogers remote, hold PAUSE until the mail icon is flashing.
2. Once it's on, release PAUSE, press LIST, PGDN, PGDN, PGDN
3. Display will say hdd3, and will reboot.

If it doesn't work, let me know the exact model and I'll provide a link on how to replace the drive.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks 57. It is a 9865. I listed the model in the title but rogers removed the title when they moved my post here. I have already read the instructions to replace the drive on Digital Home Canada.
Many Thanks. I will try your instructions and reply the results here.