New 4K TV

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: New 4K TV

Even SN does not always do 4K. Local Raptors games, for some reason, are not always broadcast in 4K. It makes no sense as the ACC has been equipped with 4K broadcast equipment. Even when they do, I find a lot of artifacts in the 4K broadcast sometimes.

I Plan to Stick Around

I also recently got a new 4K set but since I'm not a Leafs fan I doubt there's enough other 4K content to warrant the extra rental.  I also have Netflix and I upgraded to the 4 screens plus UHD membership.  The smart TV is wired to the internet so I believe I'm getting the full 4K for select shows.  And I must admit, it looks nice but nothing like the demo loops they run in the store. 

So I was wondering, if someone has both, how does Netflix 4K compare to Rogers 4K?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@MrMontagoose wrote:

I also recently got a new 4K set but since I'm not a Leafs fan I doubt there's enough other 4K content to warrant the extra rental.  I also have Netflix and I upgraded to the 4 screens plus UHD membership.  The smart TV is wired to the internet so I believe I'm getting the full 4K for select shows.  And I must admit, it looks nice but nothing like the demo loops they run in the store. 

So I was wondering, if someone has both, how does Netflix 4K compare to Rogers 4K?

Netflix has some nice 4K content, however broadcast 4K is lacking. This isn't Rogers fault, the broadcasters don't have much 4K content. 

But the 4k sports (Raptors, Jays, etc.) looks stunning in 4k!

I Plan to Stick Around

Swapped Netbox 3 PVR for 4k non PVR and picture is a downgrade

I wasn't using my PVR and have a 4k TV so decided to swap out for the standard 4k.

Set output to 4k

Sports are looking very fuzzy and almost like there are artifacts. What a disappointment.

Audio is set to optical through receiver and the added issue is major sound lag.

All in all a step backward.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I've Been Around

I tried out the Rogers 4K Nextbox (non-PVR). I went through all the 4K channels, and believe me, NONE of them were broadcasting in 4K. A simple toggle back and forth between the regular HD and so-called 4K channels proved it: there was no difference at all in the image. The blue 4K light on the box was on, the but that light means nothing. (And yes, I had the box appearance set to UHD.)

I returned the box and changed my Netflix package to receive UHD. The selection of UHD is not huge, but at least is actually 4K (or close to it), as are the many 4K videos on YouTube. Note that you'll need at least a 25 Mbps download speed - I have a Google mesh network with a Rogers modem and it works fine.