New 4K TV

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

New 4K TV

Good Morning:  I'm having difficulty getting in contact with a Rogers rep, so hoping I can find the answer here.  I have a new 4K TV. My previous TV was HD and I have an HD cable box.  Do I need a new cable box for this TV or just different cables?

***Edited Labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: New 4K TV

That depends on what you want.  You could connect the existing HD box to your 4K TV, using say an HDMI cable as before and watch all the channels as before.  The channels may look a bit better on your 4K TV.

Or you could rent/purchase a 4K box and connect it using an HDMI cable and pay extra (I believe it's $10/month) for the select few 4K channels that there are. There's not much currently available in 4K (some sports) and you'll have to decide if it's worth it.  You may need to purchase a new HDMI cable, depending on the quality/length of yours. I don't recall if Rogers supply a cable with their 4K box - they may supply say a 6' cable.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks so much for the information.  We will take our HD box to Rogers and exchange it for a 4K box.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just as an FYI, the 4K box rental may cost a bit more depending, see link below:

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/tv/hardware

Please also realize that all the HD channels you currently see on your HD box are broadcast as 720P or 1080i coming into the box, not 4K.  You then select the output format on your HD box, which may be 1080P for example.  There are only a select few 4K channels (986-999) and it is only there where you may see a significant difference in picture quality on your 4K TV (with a 4K box). The remaining HD channels are still 720P or 1080i, so, on those you will likely not see any difference compared to your HD box.

Here's an FAQ on the topic, along with links at the bottom of the FAQ for further information:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-57s-home-theatre-faqs/76129-faq-hdtv-formats.html

Here's a link to 4K on Rogers.  

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/tv/4k

I'm a Senior Advisor

@BleeP3422 If you want to watch one of the few 4K channels available then you do need to switch to a 4K box. Otherwise your TV will be just fine for what you watched before. I recently bought a 4K smart TV and it works just fine with my old SA8300HD PVR.  I don't expect Rogers to offer a lot of the current channels in 4K anytime soon since there are still quite a few that are still only SD.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you.  We picked up the 4K box.  The TSN and Music video channels are really amazing in 4K.  They waived one of the fees for 12 months, which is great since there's nothing else on 4K presently.

I Plan to Stick Around

i have a 4k box i am paying for preimer cable tv package 100 dollars a month  tsn sports net tmn hb tmn encore holly wood suite super channel i have all in hd plus i added 4k box on dec16, 2017 disapointing you have to pay extra  to see in 4k i thougtht  4k would be inculed with 4k box i have preimer tv package 100 hundred a month  plus your movie add ons cable tv programming has gone done the tubes one there is too much canadien content on tv channels and movie channels  back in the 90s rogers did have tbs tv land tru tv now they were taken away replace with peachtree tv channel which was tbs back in the 90s i think that tbs was taking away from canadien content it was a very good tv channel and it had baseball games which was taking away from sports channels here in canada i am paying now for all three services 223,59 if rogers hikes there rates higheir i would get rid of all my three rogers services home phone 500 ignite unlimted  cable tv preimer package with tmn hbo tmn encore holly wood suite super channel  and extra for the 4k box rental cable tv services and movie channels  are not that great programming too much canadien content allow more anmerican content with movie channel and tv channels no wonder people are cutting the cord

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I'm sorry that you are not seeing some of your favourite programming on various channels, however, unless the particular channel is owned by Rogers, your beef is with the "broadcaster", not with the service provider. It's the same on any provider, they're just a conduit for the signals in most cases.  Many channels have been "rebranded", but again, that's the broadcaster, not Rogers.

The Canadian content rules also have nothing to do with any service providers like Rogers, Bell, Shaw, rather it's the CRTC/government that provides those rules.  With all of the channels available these days, it's difficult to imagine there's much programming that is not available on most providers, although there are some isolated incidents, for which you may need to go OTT (over the top via streaming of some sort). Even then certain streaming is not available in Canada, so you would need to go with a VPN or piracy, but again, that has nothing to do with Rogers, but rather the rights holders mandating those restrictions.

This thread, however, is about 4K, where Rogers has the most channels available of any provider, even though the 4K content is limited.  You can thank Rogers for the SportsNet programming in 4K, because they own SportsNet.

I Plan to Stick Around

ihello about  4 kmovies on 993  when will their be a free preveiw i just added the 4k box on dec, 16, 2017 i am paying 223.59 a month for unlimted 500 ignite internet home phone cable tv preimer with tmn hbo tmn encore i did not know you had to pay extra for 4k programming i have tsn sports net in my rogers tv package in hd the preimer  this is crazy if you have to pay extra if you got rogers highest tv package and all three rogers  4k programming should be free with the preimer package and all three rogers services and you have a 4k box

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@timaitchison :  Please check out earlier posts in this thread, like posts 2, 4. In there is a link regarding 4K (also included below)  This indicates that the $10/mo for 4K will be waived for the first year.

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/tv/4k

Your 4K Premium Access subscription is free for 12 months upon activation, and $10 per month thereafter. Offer expires March 31, 2018. Subject to change.*

However, this assumes that you have an existing package. If you are grandfathered, that may not apply, as discussed in the following thread:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Account-Support/First-foray-into-4K-with-Rogers/m-p/413268#M209...

I'm not familiar with the 4K movies, so someone else will have to respond to that question, but you need to realize that there is not much 4K available at this time, so programming on those channels will be intermittent and, as I mentioned earlier, any lack of 4K content is not due to Rogers, but rather the "broadcasters" and "content providers".

I'm not sure if there will ever be any free previews on those channels, but there is usually some demo material on some of the channels, like videos, etc.