New 4K Box HDCP 2.2 Update Causes Issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: New 4K Box HDCP 2.2 Update Causes Issues

jeffs1 wrote:

This may be a solution for those with 5.1 surround sound. However, for those of us utilizing 7.1 or 9.1 surround sound, this is not an option.

HDMI is a requirement of HD audio formats like Dolby TrueHD or DTS-MA.  Those formats are not currently available on TV broadcasts, so utilizing an Optical/TOSLink cable is not really an issue.  I believe the only major source of HD audio is Blu-ray and you should connnect your BD player to your (compatible) AVR utilizing HDMI.

For those utilizing an optical cable from the back of the TV for audio (for the Rogers box "passthrough" and for apps on the TV) you usually need to go into the TV's menus and turn off the TV's internal speakers so that the Optical signal is activated.

I've Been Here Awhile

Bummer. I did not know that optical audio did not support better than 5.1 surround. On the other hand, a) 90% of Rogers's 4K content is sports...hardly the stuff to be flattered by 9.1. b) doesn't movie content pretty much adapt to the system? ie most Netflix and Apple Tunes content is 5.1 and even systems with Atmos (which has been around for years) simply plays 5.1 mode for 90% of the available content out there.

In any case I agree with you that the Rogers box is too rudimentary for today's systems...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Clarification:  TOSLink (optical) is capable of uncompressed 2 channel PCM or compressed 7.1, like DD or DTS.  It does not handle the HD (lossless) Audio, like Multi-Channel PCM, DTS-MA or Dolby TrueHD.  One should not confuse the number of channels with the nature of the audio stream.  For more info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOSLINK

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Audio.2Fvideo

AFAIK, there is nothing 9.1 that is currently "broadcast" and available on "TV" (via a service provider).  The highest I've ever seen on a TV programme is DD6.1 (Corner Gas when it was on).  Most programming on TV is DD5.1 or DD2.0, although many AVRs are capable of decoding the incoming signal to 7.1 or 9.1.

I'm Here A Lot

Hi all. Looking forward for some advicenew Samsung ks8000 owner. Just got the 4k PVR and getting a multitude of issues.

1. 1st box, picture was all magenta or purplish. Swapped it out and have some new issues.

2. When connecting to HDMI 1 on the external box, which is labelled cable, I get no sound and no 4k.

3. When connecting to a different HDMI connector (in this case 3) I get picture, sound and confirmed in the settings of the box that UHD is set. However when checking a 4k channel, it says my set isn't 2.2 compliant.

I'm using the cable provided. I also tried a few others same issue. What gives? I know all HDMI connections are 2.2 compliant as per Samsung.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Haig:

Samsung has issues with the "oneconnect" box, as outlined in the following thread, just discussed today:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

If your TV has this oneconnect, you may need to contact Samsung to get a replacement that is compliant. It looks like this is a Samsung and not a Rogers issue, especially if you're connected directly to the TV and not "through" an AVR.

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks. On my continued search for answers, I stumbled upon the thread you linked to.

Will contact them tomorrow
I've Been Here Awhile

Similar issue here.TV definitely HDCP 2.2 compatible since it plays the 4k channels , but only until I turn off the tv . When I turn the tv back on all the channels are working except the 4k ones, which give me HDCP 2.2 error message. At that point I have to completely reboot the rogers box, unplug, wait, replug, wait to reload and so on another 5 min, until everything comes back to life, including 4k. But wait!!! Only until I turn off the tv. Then 4k dies , and  this whole process again to restore it. Is it the box,  is it the signal strength , is it the tv ???? Who knows?!!Rogers Tech support doesn't say much!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@iovi69: What's the make/model of the TV?

Have you checked to see if there is new firmware for the TV?

Have you tried turning on the TV first, wait a few seconds, then turn on the box.   The order can be important.

I'm Here A Lot

If you still have problem, I can help you over the phone to setup PVR, TV and Receiver correctly. 

I've Been Around

the same as yours, but I just need to unplug the HDMI cable and put it back on to get 4K TV. 

Topic Stats