New 4K Box HDCP 2.2 Update Causes Issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: New 4K Box HDCP 2.2 Update Causes Issues

I will try as well . I have an onkyo to-nr555 a/v receiver. In order to set HDMI passthrough to off I also have to first set HDMI Cec to off .
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Interesting. In post 31 I recommended the exact opposite to another user - hoping that a continuous connection would "save" the UHD setting.  HDMI-CEC is a weird beast indeed.

I'm sure that sometime in 2017 these sorts of issues will be sorted. Similer issues were quite prevalent when HDMI first came out and service providers didn't even officially support it.

Sometimes an issue like this can be solved by turning on the various devices in a certain order. For example, AVR, wait a few seconds, TV, wait a few seconds, STB.  This allows for an appropriate "handshake". If the STB is turned on first, then the appropriate handshake may not take place....

I'm a Senior Advisor

Isn't new technology implementations just great? Smiley Frustrated  It is still why I live by the old adage that I developed with Windows and other software and technology - I never implemented a new version until the old one had been around for at least a year.  Unfortunately, the technology is often changing so fast right now that the bugs never get fully worked out before the next comes out.

I am glad that people like @57  and others are around that have the knowledge available to them to help you trouble shoot the issues that come up as we buy and try to just use our new technology solutions.

As always, I enjoy hearing and seeing people work together on this forum to move us all towards just being able to consume our choice of solutions in a relatively bug free manner.

Best of luck to everyone, I really do sincerely hope things settle down, which they usually do.

Take care, Bruce

I Plan to Stick Around

Do you mind letting me know the Video/HDMI settings you have? I have the same Denon receiver, maybe you have a hot tip if your UHD settings always save on the box... None of the things I tried over the weekend have worked!

Thanks.

I've Been Around

I am in Ontario and recently upgraded my Nextbox 3.0 to a new 4K PVR. I have a Panasonic 4K TV (Viera CX 850) and a Sony STR-DN 850 A/V receiver (4K ready).

The instructions that come with the 4K PVR show how to connect the PVR directly to a TV with an HDMI cable. If I do this with my system the 4K channel works fine but I am not able to get audio through my receiver/speakers (the audio is only from the small TV speakers). Instructions to setup the PVR with a receiver are not included.

I am looking to connect the PVR to my TV through my receiver so that I can get 4K video but also run the audio through my speaker setup.

Currently I have the TV connected to the receiver by an HDMI cable. The PVR output is connected to the receiver via HDMI. This setup works well for non-4K video and audio, but the 4K channels are unavailable and give me the message "This is a 4K UHD content that requires a HDCP 2.2 compatible 4K TV for display".

Would appreciate any insight into this problem as I have asked rogers directly but they are unwilling to help with receiver connectivity as receivers are not Rogers products.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Until the issue of going "through" some AVRs is solved, I suggest you connect HDMI directly to the TV as you have done and then connect an optical cable from the Set Top Box to the AVR for audio.

Alternatively, you can connect the TV to the AVR via Optical, as this will give you audio for any "Apps" etc received by the TV directly.  On most TVs you'll need to go into the Audio settings and turn off the internal TV speakers (turning on external output).

Of course you'll need to tune the AVR to the correct optical input and on some AVRs that input may even need to be "assigned".  That will be covered in the operating manual for the AVR.  Most AVRs have an optical input for "TV" and that would be the appropriate one to tune to/assign.

Also, update the firmware on the TV and the AVR to the latest as eventually the HDMI "Through the AVR" will be solved.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello

I believe this is what you are looking for. Unfortunately anyone using a A/V system has this issue. Check the above posts to see if the can be helpful to you!

I'm a Senior Advisor

@kgoosh  This is just a general comment that would need to work its way up to Rogers to consider - you may want to put it as a concern.

If Rogers is not going to support the connection to the AVR, which I can understand, they should make it clear that we should contact our AVR manufacturers for issues related to connectivity from the Rogers box to the AVR and AVR to the TV.  I think the fact that they don't provide details on connection to the PVR, as they once would have with analogue connections to VCR's, and AVR, and other sound devices, it is suggestive that they don't support it, but it would be nice in the help, or FAQ's and setup documents with the box, they said this up front.

Would save some time and frustration for the customer, which is always part of good customer service.

Then you have to hope that you don't run into being a ping pong ball between the product providers.

Good luck, Bruce

I've Been Here Awhile

I ran into all of these issues with a new Samsung 70" UHD (4K) TV I bought and had to educate myself through the various points of failure. Here is what I experienced: 1. 1st call to Rogers tech support and they pointed me to Samsung for a software update. Samsung rebooted the TV remotely but it was an unnecessary step as the TV auto-updates on installation and already had the coorect firmware. 2. I made sure the HDMI cable was the high-speed variety provided by Rogers and tested the TV direct-connected to the NextBox. BIngo! 4K video works fine. 3. Problem now is that I've bypassed my old Yamaha YSP-600 amplifier/speaker. I call Rogers and they tell me that's the problem and there is no fix since HDMI has to carry both the video and the audio signal which is incompativle with HDCP 2.2. This advice turns out to be incorrect. 4. A call to Yamaha tech support reveals that you can easily direct-connect your video HDMI from the Rogers box to the TV and then run an optical sound connector from TV back to most amplifiers. I went back to Video 2001 and the sales rep handed me an optical connector for 50% off ($20). This is what I use and BINGO! again, now 4K video AND theatre-quality sound working fine. The Rogers support folks mean well but their training on this new format is sketchy and they tend to point the finger at your TV manufacturer. At least two agents I spoke to told me that Samsung in particular was a problem for 4K. This turns out to be nonsense - but the Samsung tech support reps weren't much better educated on this either. In any case, your 4K checklist is (assuming you have a 4K TV and 4K Rogers box that is authorized: 1. use the Rogers-supplied HDMI cables; 2. Ensure your TV has the latest firmware update(s); 3. Verify that your amplifier is HDCP 2.2 compatible. 4. If your amp is not HDCP 2.2 compatible, use a digital audio connection such as an optical connector - cost between $12 and $40 depending on length...and direct-connect the HDMI video cable from Rogers box to TV.

I'm Here A Lot

This may be a solution for those with 5.1 surround sound. However, for those of us utilizing 7.1 or 9.1 surround sound, this is not an option. Optical cable can only support up to 5.1. For 7.1 and higher, an HDMI connection to the AVR is required. Unfortunately, Rogers and their hardware supplier cheated out and did not provide dual HDMI outputs on either of the 4K STB's like found on 4K BD players. 

Topic Stats