New 4K Box HDCP 2.2 Update Causes Issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: New 4K Box HDCP 2.2 Update Causes Issues

Back when HDMI was first available with HD STBs, it took years before it worked with the majority of equipment.  Some equipment worked, some did not.  Many people used component video cables during this "transition" I suspect something similar will happen with 4K, although it may not take years, it will certainly take some time.

Anyone wishing to "experiment" with 4K should consider this the beta phase and should have alternate equipment (an HD STB or PVR) as a backup.  Of course, if you're paying extra for 4K, you should get compensation (or free equipment) until it does work properly.

I'm Here A Lot

Very good points. Why am I having to pay rental on two 4K boxes and an extra fee for 4K content, the tiny bit there is?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @jeffs1

You aren't paying for the 4K package are u? Then I would call in and get then to refund u the difference as Rogers has had a promotion for almost a month now that for 12 months they waive the $10 4K package deal.

Also have you called into Rogers to get a refund for the box fee seeing as u are having issues?
I'm Here A Lot

Been on phone with them for almost an hour! Tried telling me it's the cables. They supplied them! Don't seem to listen when I clearly advise I have replaced cables with v2 and still not working. Then she said call Sony and get them to change the software on the tvs. Unbelievable. 

I've Been Around

Same issue here. I came back from holiday to find the error message on channel 999. Read through this forum and since my TV is through the amp was hoping it had HDCP 2.2 support. It did. Switched the cable from CBL/SAT input to STB/DVR input and it worked! No more error message on the 4K the channels. Too bad no US Open tennis in 4K though...
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: New 4K Box Has lots of problems....

As with many of the items ROGERS uses to provide for their services, they are cheap to maximize profits.

I have to reset my Rocket every few days and every time I turn my 4K Visio TV I have to unplug the hdmi wire or reset the 4K receiver...

'Why? It won't pop up...that's why.

please folks buy some good equipment? You're not cheap, if you go out of your to provide good equipment the user experience will be better and I will be less likely to cancel my cable.

as it is I am so close to pulling the cord?

currently I spend $250 per month, that's $3000 per year, you know how many movies I can by on iTunes without commercials with that money? That's 300 movies @ $9.99 which is the average price if you wait a few weeks after it's release.

Invest in your current customers, you won't have to spend a bundle trying to get us back....

I'm Here A Lot

Re: New 4K Box Has lots of problems....

After spending $600 on new HDMI 2.0 cables and $500 on an ultra HD boy-ray player, I have determined both my 4K boxes will connect and pass picture when connected directly to TV. Hopefully Sony comes out with a firmware update for my  tw 5800ES receivers (their flagship) soon as even though it spec HDCP 2.2 it does not work with either 4K box or UHD BD. The big downside with this "temporary" (I hope) solution is the limitation of the fiber optic/coax digital audio connection which does not support anything above 5.1 surround sound. Luckily the UHD BD has two HDMI ports so sound is fine there. If Rogers is smart they would put 2 HDMI ports on the 4K PVR if it's ever released. Not a happy camper but at least I have 4K picture for Jays games again. 

I've Been Around

Rogers it's now October.. the Jays are in the playoffs.. can we please get this issue fixed?

I've Been Here Awhile

I feel horrible for anyone using cable here in toronto since there is no competition.

i recommend not spending additional $$$ on equipment as the problems lie with ROGERS.

i think instead of putting their name every where, maybe spend some money on good equipment and people to program this equipment.

they seem to spend more money in public image rather than customer image and they are obviously making a lot of money with so many folks cancelling their cable?

we need to elect better people in government that actually are there to serve their constituencies not their pockets as many do now.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi folks

I actually came here for a different reason - I just got a 4k receiver, and things work fine EXCEPT every time the 4k box turns on, it tells me my display might be able to support UHD and *never* remembers the settings.  That is a real drag.

I will say this: before I hooked up my receiver, I went 4K box HDMI -> 4k port on TV, and 4k box Digital Audio -> digital audio input on my receiver.  That worked fine, so that is a workaround for you folks, but it is a drag. Also, with this setup, my cable box *retained* my UHD setting (???).  Maybe my TV HDMI input was 'always on' whereas my new receiver turns everything off.

Anyways... the big drag for me is constantly resetting 720p -> UHD.  Anyone solve that one?

Topic Stats