Netbox 3 and ethernet?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Netbox 3 and ethernet?

Hello @Althea1

You can hook up ur PC on the tv via HDMI cable or component and have the Ethernet cord plugged into ur laptop then yes it will work that way. The pc will use the tv as a monitor and u are set!
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Althea1 wrote:
Okay thank you very much. It's a dummy, but perhaps if I hook my pc to the tv via ethernet?

Typically one would connect the PC to your router via Ethernet (or WiFi) and then connect the PC to the TV via HDMI.

I Plan to Stick Around

Yes it's connected to my combo high speed modem /router. Thanks
I've Been Around

I know it sounds stupid... but at this point it's the only thing I can think of. Not sure why it even needs to be plugged in if at all. I've unplugged it.. and so far I haven't had any internet issues yet. Just wondering if having it plugged into the router/modem would cause such an issue.

Hello @jimmyrazor,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! =)

I can understand how important it is to ensure your devices are connected properly so your service works as designed. 

I am able to confirm that the Ethernet ports on the back of the NextBox 3.0 and above are not in use. The NextBox 3.0 series and above is capable of being used in an IPTV setup which is why the Ethernet port is there. Since Rogers is not using these boxes as an IPTV box the Ethernet port is disabled by the Firmware.

You do not need to have the box connected via Ethernet as it will not have any effect.

RogersTony

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RogersTony wrote:

You do not need to have the box connected via Ethernet as it will not have any effect.

Do not connect your Nextbox 3 to the Ethernet port.  It may have no effect or sometimes it may have a negative effect.  See the following post (and thread for other hints) and do not connect anything to the Ethernet port of your Nextbox.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-rogers-cable-tv-hd-pvr-discussion/202473-cisco-9865-nb3-0-also-n...

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@RogersTonyWhy did Rogers not use these boxes for IPTV?  Would have saved me money if I ever switch to Ignite tv.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Software and Hardware primarily, my guess.

While the hardware on the NB wasnt bad.. all the other boxes in the series was not good.
They can barely run the software properly. It suffers a lot of performance issues.

Rogers WAS working on its own IPTV platform prior to the current one.  
And it just wasnt working out.. likely due to the above.  Could it be done? yes.. but done well? Thats another story.

They decided to move to a much NEWER platform, which has a good track record so far.