Netbox 3 and ethernet?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Netbox 3 and ethernet?

I have been using the rogers one, for about a year now, on the nexbox 2.0
Other than being a little noisey IMHO (mind you, its in a closed TV cabnet, so it may be echoing), it works great.

I only had the 320 model NB2, and adding the 1tb made a HUGE difference.. 8+movies, and a week of recording.. never even hit 50% ever yet on it.

ESATA is the best choice anyways.  Overall, it gives more throughput speeds for communication, than USB2 or even USB3

I've Been Around

It's now 2016 and the ethernet port off the Rogers netbox 3.0 PVR (still) does not allow to connect a device to your LAN/WAN. I just called Rogers support line to have it confirmed as I tried ealier to connect a device (old Xbox without wifi). I also have the Bell PVR in another place and that same device works well with full access to LAN/WAN.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It is not possible, as both the rogers boxes and the bell boxes work differently.

Rogers boxes still deliver content over the CABLE network, which is SEPERATED from internet network.

The manufacturers, with the right programming, allow you to connect it TO the network, as an end point device like the xbox for some features (rogers does not have this enabled)

Comparatively to bell.  Their TV is IPTV.  TV over internet.  The TV watched is actually an internet stream.

The PVR box IS then really connected TO the internet.. it has to be to work.  And therfore would allow access to anything else on your network as well.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I suspect Rogers to roll out IPTV in the future since their newest STB's support it, but I don't think they have enabled it at the Head End level right now but when they do, they will probably make use of the Ethernet Port on their receivers just like Bell utilizes.

I Plan to Stick Around

I have connected an ethernet cable to my netbox directly from modem. Can I somehow use this connection to watch movies from internet, such as Netflix which I'm subscribed too.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Althea1:

No.  You should not connect anything to the Ethernet port as it is not supported by the current firmware and sometimes even causes issues with the firmware. Disconnect that cable.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Althea1

That port is useless. It doesn't give internet and it's not worth leaving it plugged in. There is no way ot enabling it either. This has to be done via a firmware update from Rogers side which they won't do. As 57 said, remove it.
I Plan to Stick Around

Okay thanks, but how about if it's plugged into my TV?
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Althea1

Your TV must be a Smart TV which can receive internet via WiFi or Ethernet cable. You can go into your setting - network and should find the option there.

If your TV is a dummy tv ( no smart feature like Netflix or YouTube) then it will not work.
I Plan to Stick Around

Okay thank you very much. It's a dummy, but perhaps if I hook my pc to the tv via ethernet?