Netbox 3 and ethernet?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Netbox 3 and ethernet?

Ant point hooking the netbox 3 to the LAN?

***Edited labels***

Steve
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Netbox 3 and ethernet?

Nope, none at all.

The older series had the ethernet port as well, but same thing, no point in connecting it.

under the raw manufactuer, these boxes can do stuff like DLNA and similar types of things.  Stuff like this box, are actually a D3 modem itself as well.  These would allow connecting to the network for those types of things, etc.

Unfortunately, those features are not turned on, so connecting to the network will not do anything.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to transfer recorded videos from Nextbox to your computer over the ethernet? (just dreaming)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes it would 🙂

Problem is you STILL wouldnt be able to view them. 😛

You can plug in an extender which was in PVR, into the PC, and view the files, if i am correct.

Problem is, even if they are in regular formats (mp4, etc).. they likely are not regularily PLAYABLE.  They are encrypted usually.

My boss used to do this with his OLD bell sat PVR.  There was a program, which would de-crypt the files and allow conversion, etc... but was a tedious process (was easier to just download the program instead :P).

Now.. this box (well and technicaly the 2.0 box as well) has some playback capabilities, etc per the mfg hardware.  Some dlna, streaming, etc.. but it is all disabled.
HOPEFULLY at some point, they can enable these sorts of things.  would REALLY give them the edge, of playback, that you can use ANY device to watch your PVR stuff.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

I assume the USB ports are useless as well.

By the way, is there a list of compatible external hard drives which are compatible with Nextbox 3? I understand that, apart from Rogers provided PVR Extender there are several external hard drives that are supported by the Nextbox?

Jimboden:

USB ports are very useful:) I use one of them to power a fan to provide extra cooling for my Nextbox:)

I'm an Advisor

TeDD13:

What a great idea! I wouldn't have thought of that. Aside from providing power, though, I assume they don't do anything else.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

On the NEW box i am not sure... but i think on the older ones, you COULD plug in a USB hard drive, an an extender.  Wasnt supported... and generally you wouldnt WANT to, as the access speeds will be slower than the ESATA.

I think generally, they are there for the DLNA, access/playback, etc that is disabled on these boxes.

@Tedd

I dont think there is a list per say.  I have heard people who have bought other brand pvr extenders (WD, etc) and they have worked.  Also talked to people who have bought their own enclosure and hard drive, and they have worked as well.
I guess the BIGEST thing in the end... is that ones 'designed' for PVR extenders, may use specific HDDs which have a specific seek time, spin speed, etc that is good for PVRs.

Comparatively.. yes, you could build your own.. and get a cheaper say WD Green drive to save money.. but the green drives often will spin at a much slower speed.. therefor potentialy slow down access times, etc.

On the Cisco 9800 diagram it is suggested that external hard drive should be connected to the eSata port. USB ports are to be used "for external equipment approved by service provider".

I am thinking about trying external eSata drive.

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats
  • 27 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 12 in conversation