cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Neighbors cable line

abdel1
I've been around

Is it normal for the Rogers tech to run a cable line up the tree at the front of my property to connect to my neighbors house? I looks bad. Shouldn’t they have asked permission first? How long will this cable be left dangling in front of my home?

***Added Labels***

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Neighbors cable line

danno100
I plan to stick around

Yes they should have asked permission, maybe you were not home.The neighbours line has a fault. Next door they had a temp line it took 6 months for them to bury a new one.

diverd
I plan to stick around

Same here.....I was home and went outside after I saw him run the cable right across the front of my lawn !! and asked him how long it would be 'til it gets buried.....He said " 2 to 3 months" !! And I had to tell him to leave more slack so I could try and manoeuvre it outa the way so I can cut the grass.......

Yes it's normal for them to run a temp line. If someone on your street is paying for internet or tv and the line is damaged a temporary line will give them working service. Rogers has permission to run wires even if they don't Nock on your door.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Also it's kinda hard to steal internet or cable tv now a days. If someone splits a cable off your house into theirs they still need their serial number of the set top box or modem activated and Rogers associates this with a billable charge.

It's not like the old days where you can split a analog cable tv from your neighbour a s get free cable those days are long gone with everything transitioned to digital tv

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just to point out, companies do not have the authority or your permission to cross into your yard beyond the easments that exist at the front and/or sides of your property.  If any company requires access to your property beyond the easement boundaries, then they should ask for permission to carry out whatever work they are proposing.  

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor

Do not believe them on how long it will take.  I have seen cables in trees for more than a year.  

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

From personal experience, you do need to keep ontop of them about the cable bury.

As long as its been ordered and on the account that it has been, you can call in and get the number to the cable bury department, and pressure them to get someone out.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
I agree, if it takes them 3 months or 6 months or even 1 year to remove and bury the cable, whats it to you? nothing. complaining will get no where. why? because it will get done regardless. Complaining just means your annoyed by it, just because your annoyed does not mean something is wrong with it, its a temp line, its designed to temporarily bring service to a paying customers house regardless if your annoyed at it or not, they don't measure how many customers are annoyed by temp lines, if they did they would need 100x more staff and that might increase bills, so lets get one thing straight, the order was put in and your job is done now its their job to fix it let them do their job

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
The real problem is the outright lies on when the temp lines will be replaced. I had one here, and still do 4 years later, but it is buried, sort of. The main line between boxes broke somewhere and they ran a temp line but because this is the 1 inch wire and no available trees, they broke the sod and buried it. "Someone will be out to do this proper within 90 days". 4 years later.

diverd
I plan to stick around

What it is to me is that it's running right across my yard so that every time I cut the grass I have to stop and get off the mower to reposition the wire a few times so as not to run over it and believe me if I wasn't on good terms with the neighbour who is being supplied by this wire I would definitely just keep running over it and then maybe they'd get it buried real quick ! Or maybe call and tell Rogers that I'll stop paying my bill until it's buried ! For the amount of money we pay them for all the recycled garbage we get to watch each customer should have their own private technician on the payroll....Thank goodness there's so much more competition now that we have a choice as to what we choose to watch  but even the most basic rogers package is about 40 bucks with tax !!

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@diverd wrote:

What it is to me is that it's running right across my yard so that every time I cut the grass I have to stop and get off the mower to reposition the wire a few times so as not to run over it and believe me if I wasn't on good terms with the neighbour who is being supplied by this wire I would definitely just keep running over it and then maybe they'd get it buried real quick !

What?!?  The temporary cable is on the ground???  They can't do that.  What if somebody trips on it at night and breaks their neck?

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/rogers-burial-process

https://www.rogersoutdoorcable.com/app/OrderStatus.asp

Rogers should have a process to expedite this burial.  Perhaps the @CommunityHelps  team can assist you.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hello again,

Here is another comment of mine regarding the temporary cable.

If the Temporary cable is hanging too low or its obstructing something or it came loose that its interfering with peoples lives and safety like a vehicle can touch it and damage it or you can run over it with your car or lawnmower or its a tripping hazard then yes you should call Rogers and ask them to "FIX" it. They will and have to come out and address this issue and will fix it.

But a complaint like "I don't like the look of that temporary cable up high on my tree" even though its not bothering you or its not poising any danger or risk, then that is NOT a valid complaint and the cable should and will stay put weather you like it or not.

AONK
I've been around

Hello,

There is a Rogers temporary cable going through my property from the side of my house through my backyard to my neighbor's house. The cable has been there for months cable is in the way of  hard-scaping work we will be starting and will likely get damaged affecting the neighbor's service.

Please advise on how to proceed to get the cable burying service completed.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@AONK wrote:

There is a Rogers temporary cable going through my property from the side of my house through my backyard to my neighbor's house. The cable has been there for months cable is in the way of  hard-scaping work we will be starting and will likely get damaged affecting the neighbor's service.

Please advise on how to proceed to get the cable burying service completed.

In https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/rogers-burial-process

follow the instructions under, "What do I do if I have an unsafe cable line on my property, or the temporary cable is exposed?"

You need to report this to Rogers through an official channel to get a ticket created, which will also make it easier for you to check on the status of the burial and escalate further, if required.

Topic Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 9 in conversation