Need help setting up NEW flat screen TV for FIRST time!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Need help setting up NEW flat screen TV for FIRST time!

@TigerBear wrote:

Thanks for chiming in, Lurker.....

If you read my past posts you will see that I am OLD, and do have vision issues....so perhaps your comments on HD tv might be considered somewhat insensitive.  No...I'm not 'legally blind', but I do have vision issues...let's leave it at that.   "unless there are vision problems involved"....YES there are.

Anyways.....I'm moving on....and waiting for the Rogers Tech to show up and set up my TV.

No more comments required and necessary from the peanut gallery.  I was asking for facts not opinion.

AND I still say again....90% have NO clue what they're watching....ie Standard or HD.  Just MY opinion and I'm entitled to it, whether I'm right or wrong.  I'm old enough to not care what YOUR opinion is.  Thanks anyways.

And perhaps you can't understand how an old person on a PENSION cannot OR doesnot WANT to spend $13/month on new fangled stuff that adds nothing to actually watching a TV program.  I'm just grateful I can still SEE!!!!!!!!

Perhaps in future posts, you will be more careful in your responses,.....OR perhaps don't bother to respond at all if you don't have empathy for the person you are responding to.  I am offended, in case you can't tell.

I dont think anyone was trying to offend you and say you are wrong.
They were just trying to explain things.

You are right, everyone is different, and their needs or opinions will vary from person to person.

Especially if money is tight, its something you may not want to invest the money in.

Like you said, with yours (and others) sometimes vision problems... they may NOT notice that much of a difference between them.

But comming from a TECHNCIAL standpoint (purely FACT), for someone who lets say DOES have vision that is fine.  All images on TVs (and computer screens) are done by little tiny microscopic dots.  All those tiny dots together make a picture.
With SD pictures, there is a certian number of dots per inch vertially... usually around.. 320-480.
With HD pictures (for tv), there can be anywhere from 480 to 1080 dots in that same inch of space.  This results in being able to put in MORE detail, and make a sharper picture.

You are right though.. there are many who DONT know the difference.. and are perfectly happy with it.
But sometimes they havent SEEN what the better is, either.
My mother was this way.. shes been a rogers since they became a company and first offered cable.  When things started digital, she had a digital box, but only SD.  She still only had it, with her first older flatscreen TV.  But it dies recently, and she got a new TV.   Suddenly she started noticing how blocky it did look (and that the picture was better at my house).  She reluctantly upgraded to a HD box..  and she full admits that its a better picture quality.

But as you said, its not everyones choice, opinion, etc.

If you are happy with what you have, then by all means keep it Smiley Happy

If you do find that there are problems, etc.  You can always upgrade too.
Many times now, rogers can often bundle and offer a free HD box rental.   If you descide to go this route, give them a shout and see what they can do Smiley Happy

I'm a Senior Advisor

@TigerBear wrote:

No more comments required and necessary from the peanut gallery.  I was asking for facts not opinion.

AND I still say again....90% have NO clue what they're watching....ie Standard or HD.  Just MY opinion and I'm entitled to it, whether I'm right or wrong.

I agree, TigerBear. The other day someone here complained they weren't seeing old movies in HD on a movie channel when they weren't made in HD in the first place.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you, RogersAsif.....the Rogers tech came yesterday and set up my new flatscreen...and it works great, even without the upgrade to HD.

My problem now is the sound level.  Besides having some vision issues, I also have some hearing loss, so the TV needs to be at a higher volume than most people would want.

I have been watching with the volume between 90 - 100, and I'd still like it to be somewhat higher, if that is possible.

Cable 56, in particular, is not loud enough for me, even at 100!  I can hear it, but I have to strain and really pay attention to the screen to figure out what they might be saying.  The tv is about 8' away from my head/ears.

SO....my next question is:  is there some way that Rogers can increase the sound volume to my cablebox/tv??  Sounds kind of crazy, but thought I'd ask.

Also, I know there are soundbars out there which I can buy and add to the TV somehow (HELP!); would the addition of a soundbar (and which soundbar...the cheapest please) help increase the volume on the tv???  Thank you.

I Plan to Stick Around

OldYellr....appreciate your comments. 

Now...Can you help with my latest issue......the sound volume on my new flatscreen.  Posted question a few minutes ago.   Thanks.

I'm a Senior Advisor

With the DTA50 I set the volume at maximum using the DTA remote and then use the TV remote to adjust the volume up and down.

Here is why I do that:

I could never get the DTA remote set up to do everything, like turn the TV on and off, so I use both remotes.  I have a 21" Seiki and a 32" RCA, both from Walmart, that can't be fully set up for the DTA.  I use the TV remotes to turn them on and off and change volume and picture shape and the DTA remotes to change channels. I find that when I have the picture zoomed to fill the screen, like for most channels, the volume graphic from the DTA remote is below the bottom of the screen, but the graphic from the TV remote is always visible.

If your DTA remote does everything you need, just set the TV remote volume to maximum so you have sufficient volume.  You're probably not getting enough volume because the remote you're not using is not set to maximum.

I'm a Senior Advisor

There are two components on your shstem controlling the volume right now....the cable box and the tv.

Try using the TV remote control to turn the TV volume up as high as you can, them use the cable box to modulate from there.  It might work and save you from having to buy more components....

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi, OldYellr...........the Rogers technician set up my tv so that it works solely on one remote...the Cisco one.  In any case, I just went and tried using first the Samsung remote and turning it to max/100, and then using the Cisco remote to adjust, but there is no adjustment....the volume bar appearing on the screen, on the left, up and down, using EITHER remote, shows exactly the same volume level....I can turn the volume up or down, but it doesn't go beyond 100, obviously, so it doesn't increase the volume.

Perhaps it's just the way it is.  It's ok really....would just like a bit more volume on some channels, but not horrible.

Thanks.

I Plan to Stick Around

Lurker......I have put the TV remote at full volume...which shows 100 onscreen.....and it is just about the right volume.  Ideally I'd like it a bit louder.   I have also used the Cisco DTA50 remote to up the volume, but it doesn't go beyond 100, so no difference in volume no matter what remote I use....the max is the max.  The volume just doesn't go any higher.

I'm not sure what you mean about using the cable box to adjust the volume.  I've looked, and the DTA50 doesn't have any volume adjustment on it, so I'm guessing you mean using the Cisco remote (?).

SO....Question:  would a soundbar increase the volume I am getting????? 

I'm a Senior Advisor

Exactly what model flat screen TV do you have? On many of them you can go into the Sound settings and boost the volume.

I Plan to Stick Around

It's a 40" Samsung 5003 HDMI.  I hate to mess with the remote which the Rogers tech set up for me...I should have thought to tell him that I NEED max volume.  My fault on that one.  I might try to see where the sound is set, though I'm not sure how to do that, and which remote would I use....the Samsung or the Cisco or both????????

Getting old and losing some of one's hearing is NO fun.   mt