Need help setting up NEW flat screen TV for FIRST time!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Need help setting up NEW flat screen TV for FIRST time!

Andy C.........OMG....thank you for that....ie that the digital box does not support HDMI.  So WHY was The Brick saleswoman trying to sell me a $50 HDMI cable package?????????????

AND...thank you SO much for the link with pics of all of the coaxial cable types.  YES...that's what I've got....so it looks like I simply hook up the new TV exactly like my old monster tv.

Though there is the whole thing about the Auto Program, about clearing out scrambled channels, and so much more.

I decided I should call Rogers via phone to ask them some of these questions, and finally got through to them!!!  And after listening to me, the nice young woman on the line from Rogers offered to send out a technician to hook up my new TV!!!!!  I was so shocked.  Had NO idea that Rogers would do that for nothing.  Guess it's because I'm old!!!!

SO....Rogers is booked to come out next Saturday, May 16th, to actually plug in and get the new TV going.  Not happy by long wait time, but I am totally happy that an experienced person who knows what they are doing will be setting up my new TV.

THANK YOU, Andy C, for your help.  I don't like being so ignorant of things, so I'm happy to have the info you provided!!!!  THANKS.  Your mother would be proud of you for helping an old lady!!  :))

Rogers Employee andy_C
Rogers Employee

Hello TigerBear, you are welcome and I am glad that the confusion got addressed.

I Plan to Stick Around

Gdkitty....thanks so much for all of the info.   AND...the offer to help with the new remote set up.

As you will see in my reply to AndyC....I broke down and called Rogers and finally got through to a real person, and she took pity on me, and has booked a technician to come to my house to set up my new TV for free!!!  Yippee!!  That way I can feel sure that the TV is set up correctly, though I will have to wait until next Saturday, May 16th.

Thank you again SO so much.  It really does help to have this input from you, and others.  Thank you.

Your mother would be proud of you, too.  :))

I Plan to Stick Around

JohhnyRockets,

Thank you so much for clearing up this whole HDMI thing....I just could not figure out WHERE I would be plugging one end of the HDMI cable into after I had plugged one end into the back of the TV.  Thank you sincerely.  I had being so ignorant of things, even if I am old. 

And I cannot even imagine wasting $13 per month on an HD box.  OMG...people are really throwing their money away....I doubt very much that 90% of them even know the difference between HD and NO HD...really.  It's all advertising, and the NEED to have the latest thing.  Definitely NOT necessary in order to enjoy TV watching IMHO.  And thanks for understanding why I might not bother, as your mother does not.  

You can tell your mom that you helped another old lady with her TV issues. 🙂    THANK YOU.

I'm a Senior Advisor

So glad everyone straightened you out on what's required to set up your new flat screen with the DTA50. Even better that a Rogers tech will help you with it, because with some model TVs it's impossible to set up the DTA remote to do everything you need and you have to use both remotes. I have 2 TVs like that.

I'm not surprised the Brick salesperson tried to sell you an expensive HDMI kit you don't need. That's what they do. If you really needed an HDMI cable, you could get one at Walmart for $6, but the DTA50 does not use it and does not receive HD. If at some point you would like HD and more channels, the box you rent from Rogers will come with an HDMI cable anyway.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I Plan to Stick Around

OldYellr....thank you for your response and additional info.  I know this is all simple stuff...IF you know how it all works, which I don't.    I had no idea there was an HD box I could rent; never heard of that.  Of course so long as my basic old tv is working, I'm not paying any attention to the advertising about new stuff I could buy, etc.

Thanks. 

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Thank you so much for your kind words TigerBear. 

I do have to be perfectly honest though! After watching high definition TV, I would not want to go back to standard definition, even if HD from Rogers is not as good as over-the air TV. Believe you me, I notice the difference very much. My mother, with cataracts, might not. The only question for you is whether or not you want to spend that kind of money on an HD box. Just for your information, the other option is to purchase the box for $320, but somehow I suspect you do not want to do this either. Smiley Wink Everything from Rogers is way overpriced! Good luck with your new TV!

I'm a Senior Advisor

Never say never. I had a SD PVR and a couple of HD flat screen TVs and wasn't going to spend more money to get an HD box. But after getting a new Samsung Smart TV, I gave in and got a HD PVR. Now I don't watch any SD TV unless there's no choice.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for chiming in, Lurker.....

If you read my past posts you will see that I am OLD, and do have vision issues....so perhaps your comments on HD tv might be considered somewhat insensitive.  No...I'm not 'legally blind', but I do have vision issues...let's leave it at that.   "unless there are vision problems involved"....YES there are.

Anyways.....I'm moving on....and waiting for the Rogers Tech to show up and set up my TV.

No more comments required and necessary from the peanut gallery.  I was asking for facts not opinion.

AND I still say again....90% have NO clue what they're watching....ie Standard or HD.  Just MY opinion and I'm entitled to it, whether I'm right or wrong.  I'm old enough to not care what YOUR opinion is.  Thanks anyways.

And perhaps you can't understand how an old person on a PENSION cannot OR doesnot WANT to spend $13/month on new fangled stuff that adds nothing to actually watching a TV program.  I'm just grateful I can still SEE!!!!!!!!

Perhaps in future posts, you will be more careful in your responses,.....OR perhaps don't bother to respond at all if you don't have empathy for the person you are responding to.  I am offended, in case you can't tell.

Retired Moderator RogersAsif
Retired Moderator

Hi @TigerBear

I am sorry to hear that you were offended by another users posts. The Community Forums is a friendly environment where healthy debate in encouraged but we will not permit any personal attacks.

If you find another user is not abiding to the Community Forums Guidelines here . Please report the post by clicking the little arrow on the post which is beside the "gear" icon. Proceed and click on report content to notify a moderator.

Let us know how things are when the TV is setup, the Community is always here to helpSmiley Happy

RogersAsif

Now on PPV
BARE KNUCKLE FC 9: LOBOV VS. KNIGHT 2
LIVE: Saturday, November 16, 2019 9PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $39.99 (HD) | $39.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $39.99
DTV & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship returns with BKFC 9, featuring the rematch of April’s “The Fight of the Year” between former UFC star Artem Lobov and Jason Knight.

Topic Stats
  • 32 replies
  • 10 Likes
  • 8 in conversation