Need help setting up NEW flat screen TV for FIRST time!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Need help setting up NEW flat screen TV for FIRST time!

Am trying to set up new flat screen tv for the FIRST time, and need to know which cable system Rogers uses:

STD, HRC or IRC, for the Auto Program.

Also....it is a HDMI tv....but I'm an old lady and won't be using the tv for anything except watching the regular tv channels.  I did not buy a special HDMI cable for set up.  I plan to simply use the same cables now on my old tv.  Is that a problem, either than that the quality of the picture might not be as good as it could be??

I'm really worried here that I won't be able to set this thing up properly.....so ANY help, suggestions, etc. from anyone would be helpful. 

THANK YOU.

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Retired Moderator RogersPrasana
Retired Moderator

Re: Need help setting up NEW flat screen TV for FIRST time!

Hi @TigerBear

Welcome to the Community Forums Smiley Happy

Rogers uses STD – Standard system. As for cables, having HDMI cables for set up provides you with the best quality of HD viewing with your new TV. 

What type of digital box are you currently using? 

Congratulations on your new TV!

Let us know if you have any further questions.

@RogersPrasana

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the info re STD cable system.

Re the HDMI cable, I haven't bought one, but might if it's worth the difference in viewing quality.  I have vision issues, so not sure it will make much difference.   How many HDMI cables should I buy??  I was offered a whole package for $50 at The Brick where I bought the TV but I declined.  I do NOT have ANY attachments that I will be using with this TV...NO blu ray, iPads, iPods, NO cellphone, NO laptop (only a BIG clunky desktop which I'm using now), Just nothing to 'add on' to the TV....SO....given that info....do I need to get HDMI cable(s), and how many????????

Please note...I really really really know NOTHING about any of this tech stuff....so keep it simple, please. 🙂

Re the digital box I'm using....I'm using the standard issue box from Rogers, whatever that is....small black box with a green light on in the middle.  What other options are there????  I'm keeping my expenses to a minimum, so won't be buying anyting fancy....just want to watch TV, standard channels.

Thanks.  

Rogers Employee andy_C
Rogers Employee

Hello TigerBear, can you clarify if the Rogers cable box is the Digital Adapter Cisco DTA 50?

If so, you can only use coaxial cables to connect the Digital Adapter to the TV. You may want to confirm the TV has a TV Input that supports coaxial cable.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The old SD digital box, the green light was more to the SIDE.

I beleive the DTA its more centered.. so GUESSING its the DTA.

They can confirm, that on the back on the box, there is only the spot for the POWER.. and then the TV cable INTO and OUT of the box.

In that case.. yes, all you should have to do, is go:

Wall --- digital box --- tv cable input on the TV.

You will need to set your TV on channel 3.. and leave it there.  You will not change the channel with the TV remote.
The rogers remote, does all the channel changing.

Now, having two remotes (the rogers one for channels and the TV one for power and volume) can be a pain and confusing.
The Rogers remote can be programmed, for MOST TVs to be able to then... when you press the POWER on the rogers remote, to turn the power on for both the TV and the rogers box.  The channel buttons will change the channel on the rogers box, and the volume on the TV.

Please let us know if you would like help with this part.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi,...yes, it is the Cisco DTA50 digital box.

What's a coaxial cable??  Is it those ones with the round plug ins which I'm using now on my old TV?  Yes, my new TV does have a place on the back to plug those in.  It's a Samsung 40" LED 1080, per the box.

But I'm wondering WHY I would need an HDMI cable(s) and WHERE they would plug in to/from???  I see from the user guide for the new TV where I'd plug one end to the back of the tv, but where would the other end be plugged in; ie. to what apparatus????

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi....yes it is the Cisco DTA50, as I mentioned in earlier email.....

Thanks for info re having to use TWO remotes.  I wondered about that.  Bummer, but I guess many people have the same set up.

Could you please tell me about HDMI cable(s)....that's the part now worrying me, since I didn't buy any.

Are HDMI cable(s) necessary to set up my new TV??  How many do I need?  Where is cheapest place to buy....WalMart??

Thanks.

Highlighted
Rogers Employee andy_C
Rogers Employee

Hello TigerBear, since you have the Cisco DTA50, it does not support HDMI. You will need to utilize the coaxial cable from the wall and insert it into the Cisco DTA50 "CABLE IN" port, then use an additional coaxial cable to connect the Cisco DTA50 from the "TO TV" port into the TV slot that supports the coaxial cable input.

Coaxial cable photos: https://www.google.ca/search?q=coaxial+cable&biw=1280&bih=919&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=UgJNVZLIF...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

No HDMI needed.

IF you were to use an HD box, to get better picture quality, etc.. then yes you would be best to use one.  But with that box..
its just as @andy_C described... no HDMI required.

If you are able to get the exact model of your samsung TV, i can try and get the INSTRUCTIONS for trying to program the remote, step by step.
Will take a little bit... but MUCH more convienient than having to use the two remotes 🙂

I'm a Trusted Contributor

What andy_C just stated is correct. You cannot use an HDMI cable with the DTA50. 

I will point out though that if, and this a big if since you indicated that you want to keep things simple and inexpensive, you could consider upgrading your DTA50 to a an HD Terminal. The cheapest one is $12.95 per month to rent. This would upgrade your picture to high definition instead of standard definition. If you decided you wanted to go this route, you would replace the coax cable going from your digital box to the TV with the HDMI cable. 

Since the DTA50 is free from Rogers, you might decide to just stick with this for now. If so, you do not need the HDMI cable. My elderly mother is quite content with this setup as she too has some vision problems and as you said, it really does not make that much of a difference to her to spend the extra money for HD.