NB 3.0 SHUTS OFF apparently due to some "ENERGY SAVING" feature (SINCE NAVIGATR "UPGRADE")

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: NB 3.0 SHUTS OFF apparently due to some "ENERGY SAVING" feature (SINCE NAVIGATR "

Hi @YtanyaY

Yes, 2 am is when there is a quick download (about 30 seconds) - and if I'm watching a program at 2 am - (I usually am) - I get booted out of it.

When the NB 2 first came out the box NEVER remembered your place in a show when there were downloads that interrupted watching a show.  I'm sure there were THOUSANDS of complaints to Rogers, and this feature was added - but I'm almost certain that now it SOMETIMES works with some reboots of the box - but not with others.  I think if the box totally crashes it may not be 'healthy' enough to add the bookmark to where you were watching.

Apparently there probably IS some workaround to get back to the place in your recording - even though the box appears to only give you the two options.  I think if you start watching the program again (and you only have the choice to start from the beginning?) - and then you leave watching that program and come back to it again - there may NOW be the option to Resume.  I'm not certain about this - but you MIGHT be able to find it with a little experimentation.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: NB 3.0 SHUTS OFF apparently due to some "ENERGY SAVING" feature (SINCE NAVIGATR "

@RWhyatt @pattistolar

Maybe Rogers HAS fixed the box locking up problem?

If so - perhaps one of the moderators or Rogers employees could post a note about this here.  Thank you.

I'm Here A Lot

Not sure about locking up, but as of the update last night, the Enegy Saver on my box has not activated. 

I will keep an eye on it.  Knowing my luck, it is an unintentional "fix" where they changed something else but turned off the energy saver by mistake.  If so, they will "fix" that in an upcoming update.

Will have to wait and see.

I Plan to Stick Around

@RWhyatt wrote:

Knowing my luck, it is an unintentional "fix" where they changed something else but turned off the energy saver by mistake.  If so, they will "fix" that in an upcoming update.

Don't even say that, but you are totally right. LOL This tends to happen with things, doesn't it. Yes, it would be nice if Rogers posted something here confirming that they have done away with this power saving mode. But I am just happy that things appear back to normal here. 

Rogers Employee lockdown2341
Rogers Employee

From the thread "Shut off auto-powerdown of the PVR Harddrive"

@RogersHassam wrote:

Hello,

Hope the following answers your question :). 

Why does my Set-top Box automatically turn off?

Part of the Canadian Pay-TV Set-top Box Energy Efficiency Voluntary Agreement (STB CEEVA) we have implemented a power saving feature which turns off the STB after 4 hours of inactivity. 

It cannot be disabled. You can press a button on the remote to continue for another 4 hours before the first 4 hours are up. For example, press volume or switch the channel to a different one and then back etc. 

Thanks, 

RogersHassam 

I'm a Senior Advisor

@lockdown2341 wrote:

From the thread "Shut off auto-powerdown of the PVR Harddrive"

@RogersHassam wrote:

Hello,

Hope the following answers your question :). 

Why does my Set-top Box automatically turn off?

Part of the Canadian Pay-TV Set-top Box Energy Efficiency Voluntary Agreement (STB CEEVA) we have implemented a power saving feature which turns off the STB after 4 hours of inactivity. 

It cannot be disabled. You can press a button on the remote to continue for another 4 hours before the first 4 hours are up. For example, press volume or switch the channel to a different one and then back etc. 

Thanks, 

RogersHassam 

Thanks @lockdown2341 I remember that post, but I could no longer find it. However, it now appears that this "feature" has been removed from the latest Navigatr update because it was sloppily programmed and was shutting down PVRs when users were not watching live TV, in effect disabling the PVR function. Not saying it's a totally "evil" feature, but if it gets added again, it should allow the customer to opt out.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Senior Contributor

@billmcintyre wrote:

Hi @YtanyaY

....  I think if the box totally crashes it may not be 'healthy' enough to add the bookmark to where you were watching....

Apparently there probably IS some workaround to get back to the place in your recording - even though the box appears to only give you the two options.  I think if you start watching the program again (and you only have the choice to start from the beginning?) - and then you leave watching that program and come back to it again - there may NOW be the option to Resume.  I'm not certain about this - but you MIGHT be able to find it with a little experimentation.

When I choose to stop the show, I usually get the resume but on this particular occasion, I was not even in the room and when I tried the movie is started from the beginning; later it recalled where I'd left it (when I stopped intentionally) I agree with you about the BOXES' health: IMO that there is SO MUCH for these boxes to deal with, the bookmark function would be UNIMPORTANT / EXTRANEOUS & use up what little undamaged memory it HAD.

*** BUT the good news: That UPDATE seems to have knocked out the 3 HOUR power saving feature I was so fond of(!) and it was still on in the AM! (This may be a temporary "glitch")

BTW, I have noticed no bookmarks with other recorded videos - (vs. the preceding interface). Since the length of the movie is not included on the information challenged "IMAGE | PICTURE BOX"  the only way I can find the movie length is to hit play. (It will start and I'll pass the preShow < BLEEP > to the MOVIE then STOP. After, the same video will not offer resume (only play, and delete) and it will start with the preShow <BLEEP >.

(Place-saving is SUCH a VERY MINOR ISSUE compared to everything else....)

Wonder whether people are still getting lock-ups / UNRESPONSIVEESS since the POWER-SAVING feature was stopped?

Thank you

I'm a Senior Contributor

@RWhyatt wrote:

Just got home, and the box is indeed still on.  So this is good news.

To tell the truth, I do not have anything against having an auto-off feature.  I just want the ablility to tontrol how long, or even the ablitity to turn it off, if it does not suite my home setup.

Now, if only they would also let us choose when to run the updates.  Working afternoon shift, I am usually watching TV at 2 AM...

Didn't want to speak too soon but my NB 3 has STOPPED SHUTTING OFF too!!!

And my VOD playlist completed last night!

Smiley Very Happy

I Plan to Stick Around

I've been having a power down problem on my NB3 (9865) for awhile now. Each morning after overnight inactivity a reboot of this device temporarily resolves an error whereby my smart tv doesn't see the signal from the pvr. 

Pressing the power button on the pvr doesn't resolve but disconnecting and then reconnecting the Nextbox power cable does. Additionally, turning the tv off/on at any time requires the pvr power disconnect/reconnect "solution" to the "no signal" problem indicated on the tv.  At times Shomi on channel 300 indicates "loading" and "undefined" which renders Shomi unviewable unless the NB3 is rebooted.  These problems began maybe a week or two ago. After skimming through this lengthy thread it makes me question what action to take. Frustrating.

Highlighted
Community Manager (Retired) RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi Community, 

Many of you noticed a new power-saving feature introduced along with the Navigatr software that turns of the NextBox after 4 hours of inactivity to help reduce your home’s electricity consumption.  This feature is part of the Canadian Pay-TV Set-top Box Energy Efficiency Voluntary Agreement (STB CEEVA), an environmental agreement.  We heard from many of you that you would like some control over this feature so we have disabled this functionality while we work on a solution that allows customers to turn this feature on or off.  We’ve disabled the feature for customers who already have Navigatr and it won’t be a feature in the software deployed to customers in upcoming rollouts.  We’ll keep you posted and thanks for your continued feedback!