NAVIGATR UPDATE **WIPED MY DRIVE**

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Re: NAVIGATR UPDATE **WIPED MY DRIVE**

Thanks 57. I've already unplugged, (Twice) and done both a reboot and a factory reset from the settings menu. Already dreading the call to Rogers ...

I Plan to Stick Around

Becareful;

Since that fateful day, of resetting my PVR to factory, the next update looped my PVR! I really wish they would provide the same options as Microsoft and allow the users to decided what software updates they want. After all a PVR 3.0 is a $500 unit, food for thought! 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@robmcj wrote:

Update wiped our drive 6 days ago. New Navigatr is slow & buggy. Unfortunately, it has also stopped playing back recordings, re-booting itself and when it's done - Voila - everything is gone.

I've read several recent posts with similar problems. It appears this is a known issue with Rogers in some areas.  Sounds like it is related to signal, but perhaps something else with the Rogers Head Ends too.  The new firmware now communicates back to the head end a lot (playback and recording authorization (DRM)) and if the signal is not good, or there is an issue with the head end, recordings will not play/record properly.  Sounds like a service call or at least a call to Rogers is necessary to fix this.

I Plan to Stick Around

My NB3.0 was updated overnight to give me a "better" display of my recordings. It's so much "better" that now, there are no recordings on my drive. Yesterday, it was 75% full. Today, 0%. No scheduled programs left either and it also wiped out all my personalized settings like Favourite Channel. Can't wait until our condo's exclusive contract with Rogers Cable is up and maybe, we can get Bell - which probably isn't much better - to give us a choice. Yes, I rebooted the PVR. No Joy.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@BH-TW:

That is strange.  I do not recall any reports of the 9865 being affected in that way since the original update 2 years ago. Some NB2.0 - 8642s have recently been upgraded from SARA to Navigatr and there are reports of wiped drives (or perhaps factory resets) on those, but not on the NB3 (9865).

Are you able to record new programmes?  How old is the unit? It's not unheard of to have failed hard drives after 2-4 years, depending on the amount of use.

If your favourites are gone, that indicates there has probably been a Factory Reset and not a simple Reboot. I'm assuming you didn't do a reset instead of reboot under the Troubleshooting menu...

I Plan to Stick Around

It's happened and despite the various comments, it HAS happened to me as recent as this year. To say that this occurrence is rare is inaccurate and misleading. Just read the previous posts.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Most posts in this thread and on this forum (and other forums), where navigatr has wiped drives, was not on the 9865

Not to say that it had NEVER happened, as I am sure there are a few cases, etc.

But statistically wise.  The reports of the 9865 wiping the contents, vs the 8642, is a very small %.
And of all the 9865s which it did happen on, of all the many thousands or more possibly of the unit out there, again would be a very small %
Compared to, say with the 8642, in which i would say it was 50% or higher wipe rate with them.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Gdkitty:

Very well put. The vast majority of "wipes" were with those unlucky people who got the Navigatr upgrade (from RTN) on July 28, 2015.  The others were 8642s upgraded from SARA to Navigatr in the past month.

My conjecture is that these units had a "factory reset" when the upgrade occurred incorrectly written into the upgrade code.    During the many firmware updates since July 28th, 2015 (outside of the SARA upgrade this past month) there were very few reports of wiped drives, even on the 8642s (NB2).

There were even fewer reports of wiped drives on the 9865 (NB3).  As you say, there may have been a few, but reports of 9865 wipes are few and far between.

I'm Here A Lot

UPDATE UPDATE: My HD situation was particularly egregious. After the Rogers Navigatr update wiped my Explorer 8642HD that I paid for in full, it continued to erase itself repeatedly. It was rebooting and erasing itself after every single recording was completed.

I took to twitter to vent my frustration.  Every single time it happened. I think @RogersHelps finally realized I wouldn't stop and sent me a NextBox 3.0. This works well with the Navigatr and has not re-booted yet (fingers crossed). If your machine refuses to  work, let Rogers know. Do not settle for non-functioning devices due to a forced update.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@robmcj  I will support you on your opinion about this whole situation.

Irrespective of whether historically, most of the next box 3's did not experience loss of data and very rare failures of hardware or firmware requiring replacement,  for those who experience it, in particular when this upgrade is forced on a perfectly functioning, owned box, these people are going to come here and other places to do a combination of ranting or trying to get answers.

The bottom line for me, is the history of Navigatr is that it has been ripe for errors from day one, that it is much more stable now than it used to be, but there are no shortage of people who have to live through a wide range of experiences resulting from poor design, lack of testing, with ranges of issues from minor inconvenience to catastrophic failure (ie, unusable or completely lost functionality you had before - that is the technical definition of that type of failure in the industry).

So, all of us can hypothesis based upon past data, experiences we have gone through with the implementation of two years, but this new one can be considered to be a completely new implementation and rollout, and people who are losing their use of their owned boxes, need to do as described.

Go to Rogers using whatever communication modality you wish and demand a replacement box and some kind of retribution for this.

Just my opinion on this one, is that if someone is saying there box is failing after the upgrade in significant ways, that the recommendation, is push Rogers to replace it.  They chose not to roll out this recent build to these boxes from day one, for whatever reason, to decide to do so now, they need to bear some responsibility.

Glad you got a new box.

Bruce