NAVIGATR UPDATE **WIPED MY DRIVE**

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Re: NAVIGATR UPDATE **WIPED MY DRIVE**

While talking with nephew's wife she mentioned she had lost recorded programs on Nextbox 2 after update. Her immediate response was to unplug the unit, wait 10sec's then fire it up. I was surprised to hear this recovered the lost programs.

I purchased a NB2 when Rogers changed the channel scheme which made it impracticle to record using a VCR. Unfortunately, they did this before the NB3 was released. I fell on this while researching something unrelated an as soon as I saw 8 tuners, decided I would purchase one of these. I gave the NB2 to my brother in-law, because he such a nice guy. Will ask him to do the suggestion above and see if it works for him also.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

@rsobf wrote:

While talking with nephew's wife she mentioned she had lost recorded programs on Nextbox 2 after update. Her immediate response was to unplug the unit, wait 10sec's then fire it up. I was surprised to hear this recovered the lost programs.

I purchased a NB2 when Rogers changed the channel scheme which made it impracticle to record using a VCR. Unfortunately, they did this before the NB3 was released. I fell on this while researching something unrelated an as soon as I saw 8 tuners, decided I would purchase one of these. I gave the NB2 to my brother in-law, because he such a nice guy. Will ask him to do the suggestion above and see if it works for him also.

It sounds plausible.  A month or two ago I had to do one of my frequent manual reboots of my 9865 & 8642 (& 4642) to keep the Whole Home PVR listing in sync (a REAL pain with WHPVR is I usually view & delete from my 9865, which often leaves recordings from the 8642 in the My Recordings list even though they have been deleted).  After the 8642 rebooted it came back up with NO recorded programs on it.  I immediately unplugged it and rebooted, and they were back. 

The only catch I can see for anyone else who tries this now, a week after the contagion was released, is they have probably manually repopulated their scheduled programs and recorded something since the "update".  That has most likely overwritten files for older programs by now, making them unrecoverable.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi people,

FYI- Just wanted to let people know the latest I've heard. The Rogers Help twitter account just said that

"There should be another update being pushed out by the 11th. Which should hopefully fix the issues."

It'll be interesting to see if that actually does anything, AND if they let their customers know its' coming, rather than all of us having to figure stuff out on our own and search for answers.

I'm still switching to Bell, but hopefully this will potentially fix other people's problems!

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Check this out:

- last Tuesday: Within an hour of Navigatr launching, I notify Rogers Tech Support via Chat that the update wiped my box

- Wednesday: C/S phones to confirm recordings are unrecoverable and to offer me token gesture of compensation

- Thursday: Automated Tech Support call saying "Rogers is aware of the issue and working towards a 'resolution'"

- Monday: Automated Tech Support call saying to call them back in regards to Tuesday's "ticket"

- Tuesday(today): I call them back and ask what new information they had for me. Answer: "to confirm your recordings are unrecoverable". Um, I've known that for 6 days already. Nothing else? Nope, "a goof", he admits. "I'll close the ticket so the automated system doesn't call you again". Ok, thanks. That was 8 minutes of his time and my time completely and utterly wasted!

- Tuesday(45 mins later): Automated Tech Support call: "The issue you reported on {date} with your {Rogers Cable Television} APPEARS TO BE RESOLVED."

I checked the box, no it's not - and it never will be.

The above sequence of time wasting, unnecessary confusion and sending of mixed messages just typifies Rogers.
 Unfortunately, Bell is actually *worse*.

I'm a Senior Advisor

It appears RESOLVED in their automated system because the ticket was cancelled because you accepted the explanation that it was a goof ("human error" in Rogers own words).  "RESOLVED" is catch-all term. I still have a ticket open on something that happened months ago and keep getting "An Important Message from Rogers" because they didn't investigate it. Since there is no quick email contact available anymore, I'm not going to sit on the phone for half an hour to cancel it.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

@theClubHopper wrote:

The above sequence of time wasting, unnecessary confusion and sending of mixed messages just typifies Rogers.
 Unfortunately, Bell is actually *worse*.

I've dealt with both.  I think I'd say they are equal.  Equally bad that is.

At least Bell isn't trying to force feed a completely untested utter piece of garbage down the lines to our PVR's, which I suspect is what Rogers will continue to do as soon as they resolve the wiping of 8642's, parental lock and missing Settings issues.  They won't care that no one wants the ugly, useless, LESS FEATURES, MORE BUTTON PRESSING, hard to read for anyone over 40 and anyone with less than a 58" HDMI connected TV,  piece of rotting garbage in their homes. 

Their attitude seems to be Daddy knows best.  Just shut up, roll over and take it.

Well if they push Navigatr out to my PVR's I will roll over.  Roll over to Bell Fibe that is, along with all our other Rogers services.  And I will actively work to convince all friends, neighbours, relatives and business acquaintances to do the same.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@OLDYELLR wrote:

It appears RESOLVED in their automated system because the ticket was cancelled because you accepted the explanation that it was a goof ("human error" in Rogers own words).  "RESOLVED" is catch-all term.

Oh, I know that. I was just pointing it out as just another obvious and easily fixable "bug" in the Rogers system that wastes resources and creates unnecessary confusion and duplication.

if (confirm('Ticket was marked as "RESOLVED"..\nSend Automated Customer Notification? (default: "OK")')) {
    // "OK"
    TriggerAutomatedCustomerNotification
} else {
    // Do something else

}

Highlighted
I've Been Around

The new Navigator wiped out everything on my PVR, lost many hours of programs, called Rogers they offered $25credit. No notice was provided, no oppurtunity to back up the PVR. I was told that there was nothing that Rogers could do. 

What right does Rogers have to erase my PVR???

Asked for a call back and have heard nothing in more than a week,

I've Been Here Awhile

Well I'm another victim of this botched software "upgrade". I own an older PVR (8300HD) and lost perhaps 50 hours of recorded programming - about 85% of a 1 TB hard drive. Most of this was older programming long longer accessible elsewhere. I'm so . . This is the last straw for me.

I've decided this is the end of Rogers for me. By Sept. I plan to cancel all my Rogers services (TV, Internet and home phone) and move to a combination of:
TekSavvy for unlimited Internet service
Netflix for some content
A HD over the air antenna for some local channels
and a Kodi powered media player unit for some other content

Hasta la vista Rogers

waynev,

This is REALLY strange, because Rogers states on the Navigatr web page at

https://www.rogers.com/web/support/tv/nextbox/9087?setLanguage=en

I don’t have a NextBox set top box; will I be receiving these upgrades?          

NextBox 2.0 and NextBox 3.0 in Ontario are the only boxes that will be receiving these upgrades.