NAVIGATR UPDATE **WIPED MY DRIVE**

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Re: NAVIGATR UPDATE **WIPED MY DRIVE**

I also own my 8642HD, and the update wiped my recordings. There is nothing unusual or extraordinary, that prohibits a user from saving some favoured documentaries or other shows, and watching them (even repeating) at future dates. The pvr prohibits distribution, but for personal use, it is all legally permitted.

Since I own my pvr, I do not recall agreeing to, signing or accepting that rogers can and will unilaterally access and damage my property in the process.....

I'm a Senior Advisor

@lgarey wrote:

Well it took a few days. But the call came. The first offer of 6 videos I would not entertain, considering I did not only lose my recordings but I can't access settings, need to enter parental control pin everytime I turn the box on, described video is locked on and closed captioning is inaccessible.

Then they offered $15 credit. Nope, cuz I need a new box! I explained my problem, my perspective that I'm not accepting a different nextbox 2, because they can't guarantee that it will work any better.

It took a while, but they're dealing with a huge problem, and a huge amount of people. It is a major screw up from rogers. They're going to need to do a lot of fixes before they make it work well, but I am happy that they did what they could to make it right for me for now.

It's really sad that each customer has to haggle individually with Rogers reps for compensation. Think of the time wasted with people waiting on hold when reps could be solving real problems. It's like dealing with car salesmen.  Some people will get sweet deals while others nothing if they're not agressive enough.  Rogers should just come up with an official compensation package of a number of options.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

This is a grey area argument which has come up a number of times in the past..

For an OWNED device... i would 100% agree, that if say an update does something IREPERABLE to the unit.. completely bricks it to un usable, etc.  That rogers.. inside or outside of waranty, should be fixing, replacing, etc the unit.

But for the case of the recordings, etc..
Thats where the grey comes in.
While you do own the unit itself, you don't own any of the CONTENT on it.
Paying for the service, you pay for a license to WATCH the show/movie/whatever on tv.  The PVR allows you to record that to view later.   But you technically do not OWN that content.. so technically is no loss Smiley Sad
(i am NOT saying this is right/wrong, just stating facts)

I'm a Senior Advisor

But if you bought a CD or DVD that turned out to be defective, it would be replaced, no questions asked.  What this basically is, is Rogers selling you content, then destroying it before you've seen it (presuming it can't be recovered).

I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers isnt selling you ie The Walking Dead if you want to keep season 1-4 then you're expected to go out and purchase it paying the studio for those episodes. Not hoard it on a pvr.
I've Been Here Awhile

We have the same problem. All of the recordings are gone. There is a series that we record and then watch it all at once. Also some movies and other miscellaneous stuff. Really not impressed at all. We pay a fortune for the TV package and now don't get to watch season 2 of a good show. Can't wait to see what happens when they roll out the next part of the upgrade.
I've Been Here Awhile

We hate the new look too. It's actually hard to read the screen. Wish they had tested this whole thing more. Hate the new look plus all our recordings are wiped out.
I'm an Advisor

How about, asking/telling Rogers to put the series on VOD so you can watch !

I've Been Here Awhile

We absolutely agree. Upgrading the guide service shouldn't wipe out all the recordings we have. Rogers should absolutely compensate but they won't.
I'm a Senior Advisor

@krap wrote:

How about, asking/telling Rogers to put the series on VOD so you can watch !

That would work. But all the ROD shows cost Rogers licensing fees, which may be a whole lot more than giving the occasional irate customer some free movies.