NAVIGATR UPDATE **WIPED MY DRIVE**

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: NAVIGATR UPDATE **WIPED MY DRIVE**

@jesjuju wrote:

disaster: all my recordings are gone.  All schedules for future recordings also wiped out.  

Any idea if these are recoverable?  if so, how?

We are all waiting to hear. I personally see no reason for optimism.

I have never seen it mentioned, nor did the Rogers tech I chatted with last night ever say "No need to panic, the recordings are kept on a different partition to the Guide software".  For all I know that may be true, but if it were I would think given the fact that some people have been having their PVR's drive wiped after a major guide update since at least 2011, it would be common knowledge.

As I was up last night anticipating the update, I noted what was happening on my PVR's display and on-screen.

I don't know if it will help Rogers Techs see what went wrong, but here's my log:

1. 3:10AM: live tv interrupted - Downloading updates (brief)
  2. TV live playback resumed
  3. 3:20AM, Downloading...
    front panel: alphanumeric countdown in format "r9DF", "r9DE", "r9DD" etc (5 mins to complete)
    "Pr0c"
    "d0ne"
    "boot"
    on-screen msg about software upgrade (brief, on old 8300 type background), then black(nothing)
    front panel: "r9DF" countdown again (3-4 minutes to complete)
    "Pr0c"
    "d0ne"
    "-" (flashing, for a few seconds)
    "-00-" for a few seconds, followed by "–01-"
    on-screen: blank blue(violet?) screen, while front panel still on "-01-"
    front panel: after pause of 30secs "–03-", then fairly quickly "–04-" & "–05-" (long delay on "-5-".. approx 7 mins)
    front panel: "LoAd"
    on-scren: black, blank - for about 1 minute
    front panel: clock (actual time) appears
    on-screen: loading circle w %age & progress bar in LR corner (3 minutes to complete)
  4. PVR power is off, I waited a minute and with no sign of any further update activity, pressed Power on remote
    time: 3:46AM
    screen shows "WELCOME TO YOUR NEW TV GUIDE" Navigatr first-run screen
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Although it is a tremendous inconvenience, the wiped drive on the 8642 pvr is not unrecoverable. All that is needed is for the data to be recovered and then restored to it. From what I've read, it may be that Rogers may do this for you if asked nicely. hmmmm, maybe that asking to much of us. hehe

I'm a Senior Advisor

And where exactly did you read this?

I Plan to Stick Around

I, too, have the 8642hd (NB2). A 1TB PVR extender is attached. I also lost all recordings with the navigator update. Additionally:

1. The time is no longer displayed while the unit is off
  2. PIN must be entered each time unit turned on (parental controls)
  3. Settings not available (just a gray screen)
  4. Showmi and ROD not working. Titles will display, but upon selection of a program, unit reponds that nothing is available

I just subscribed to Rogers last month. I chose the VIP Ultimate with TMN package along with rental of their nextbox. I have no idea why they sent me the nextbox 2 instead of the newest version. It is so slow, and now this mess.

From other posts, it appears that NB3 users aren't having the deleted recordings issues that NB2 users are. This suggests that Rogers did not test the new software on the NB2 before rolling it out. I'm trying to decide if that was incompetence or negligence on their part, or a bit of both. I have to wonder if Rogers will continue with the rollout given the issues. I also wonder if there will be any sort of public statement claiming responsibility along with a problem to fix what was broken.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

I see the following announcement has been posted by Rogers. Not sure if this is reported elsewhere on these forums, but here it is. 

Earlier today we deployed a software upgrade for our NextBox cable boxes to some customers in Ontario. As a result of human error, some customers with older PVRs may not be able to see their recorded shows. Furthermore, in some cases customers may be prompted for a PIN to access their guide.

As soon as we discovered the problem, we immediately stopped rolling out the software. We sincerely apologize to our customers for this inconvenience.

If you are having a problem with your PIN, please go to your MyRogers account to reset it, or you can call the call centre and a rep would be happy to reset it for you.

If you are having problems seeing your recordings on your PVR, please call customer care to discuss your account at 1-888-Rogers1.

https://www.rogers.com/web/link/ptvBrowsePackagesFlowBegin?forwardTo=landing

I'm a Reliable Contributor

I realize our 8642s (NB2s) are not the latest and greatest ... but I'm willing to bet they have a larger footprint than the NB3s.

Really Rogers ... you couldn't have tested this further?

Who do I call for compensation?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@JohhnyRockets wrote:

I see the following announcement has been posted by Rogers. Not sure if this is reported elsewhere on these forums, but here it is. 

Earlier today we deployed a software upgrade for our NextBox cable boxes to some customers in Ontario. As a result of human error, some customers with older PVRs may not be able to see their recorded shows. Furthermore, in some cases customers may be prompted for a PIN to access their guide.

As soon as we discovered the problem, we immediately stopped rolling out the software. We sincerely apologize to our customers for this inconvenience.

If you are having a problem with your PIN, please go to your MyRogers account to reset it, or you can call the call centre and a rep would be happy to reset it for you.

If you are having problems seeing your recordings on your PVR, please call customer care to discuss your account at 1-888-Rogers1.

https://www.rogers.com/web/link/ptvBrowsePackagesFlowBegin?forwardTo=landing

Wow... that IS surprising.

They actually DID stop the roll out.

While of course this should never have happened in the first place.. at least they are taking the ownace on it and stoping the roll out for right now.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@SpeedyC wrote:

I realize our 8642s (NB2s) are not the latest and greatest ... but I'm willing to bet they have a larger footprint than the NB3s.

Really Rogers ... you couldn't have tested this further?

Who do I call for compensation?

Best is to call in, and try and escalate it there.  Thats about all you can do.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@lem1 wrote:

I, too, have the 8642hd (NB2). A 1TB PVR extender is attached. I also lost all recordings with the navigator update. Additionally:

1. The time is no longer displayed while the unit is off
  2. PIN must be entered each time unit turned on (parental controls)
  3. Settings not available (just a gray screen)
  4. Showmi and ROD not working. Titles will display, but upon selection of a program, unit reponds that nothing is available

I just subscribed to Rogers last month. I chose the VIP Ultimate with TMN package along with rental of their nextbox. I have no idea why they sent me the nextbox 2 instead of the newest version. It is so slow, and now this mess.

From other posts, it appears that NB3 users aren't having the deleted recordings issues that NB2 users are. This suggests that Rogers did not test the new software on the NB2 before rolling it out. I'm trying to decide if that was incompetence or negligence on their part, or a bit of both. I have to wonder if Rogers will continue with the rollout given the issues. I also wonder if there will be any sort of public statement claiming responsibility along with a problem to fix what was broken.

@lem1

Looks like we got an answer on that.

I am guessing you are RENTING your boxes??

Truthfully at this point.. since all your recording are wiped..

Personally, i would go in and SWAP for a NB3 at this point.  More storage, and its faster overall than the NB2.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

YEah.. its not quite that easy..

The box stores the stuff on the drive.. pretty much the same as a computer... there is a FAT table most likely which says what is there.

With this update, most likely that FAT table is gone.

Sure the data may be TECHNICALLY writen there.. but without that FAT knowing where... its useless.

Recovering? Would have to to pretty much have a back up of the FAT, etc..

And its not like you can just PUSH recordings to the box, etc.. its not like rogers has all the recording files for all shows and can push them out.  They are recored on spot by the PVR as they are aired.