Multiple NextBox 3.0 PVRs in one home

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Re: Multiple NextBox 3.0 PVRs in one home

Hello @icunxtime,

I am very happy to hear that things are working well for you! I have the same issue with not seeing my programs sorted "by PVR" - I maintain a spreadsheet (via Microsoft Excel's free web app - here) to track what shows are recorded onto which PVR.

Not the most elegant solution, but it helps me when one of the PVRs gets too full.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Yes you can have two PVR's and they will see each others content

I have Two PVR's and 2 HD boxes and we can watch all from which ever TV your using .

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hello everyone:

I read all 12 posts and i am still not clear from all i have read. So i will state my case and my understandings as of now.

Presently I have Total Home TV in the house. I have 4 outlets registered with Rogers. I am using 2 TV's with one NextBox 3.0 PVR with each. They read each other, I cannot know which is recorded where. Each PVR storage space is 1000GB. Navigatr does not seem to have the details organized by individual PVR (some of you referred to that).

Now i also have an HDTV Cisco Explorer 4642HD. As you also said (unable to do the "tricks" -as Rogers calls them- e.g. fast forward, rewind etc.). I can also access and play any recorded programs the 2 PVRs have on them. I can play the streaming live signal on that last box on my PC Monitor. I also can set from the remote of the HD Box recordings to be stored in one of the 2 PVR storage HHDs.

Now comes the part where i feel a little disoriented. In a little while I will replace this HDTV Box with a 3rd Nextbox 3.0 instead.

What will it change? Is having the Whole Home TV become a hindrance as it will not connect with and read the other 2 Nextbox 3.0?

How should I set things (if at all possible) to be able to record and then stream down to my PC monitor specifically with new PVR without losing the ability to connect, read from and stream down from the other 2 PVRs?

The rest of the family prefer to keep recorded stuff to the minimum on their 2 PVRs so they erase a lot.

On the other hand I prefer to hold stuff for 2 or 3 months to have available choices so the volume of choices makes the empty storage space to decline over time.

I will now exaggerate to make a point.

With the settings for the 3rd Nextbox 3.0 could I have a repeated show that was also recorded in any of the 2 others that would remain recorded in the 3rd if someone in the family deletes theirs?

If that is possible how do I set the 3rd to remain "somewhat" independent without losing the ability to access the other 2?

Sorry the length but it is the best i was able to write to make myself clearer (or maybe not?)

I would now appreciate your comments and opinions.

Thank you kindly

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Hello @QueJoder,

I just confirmed with Rogers technical support: You can have up to 2 PVRs, and 8 HD terminals in your Whole Home PVR network.

If you purchase a 3rd PVR:

SCENARIO 1

Connect the 3rd PVR as normal - you might be able to see recorded content on the other two PVRs.  This is an unsupported configuration.

--NOTE: I was running this configuration for 1 - 1.5 years and experienced random hangs, crashing and corrupted recordings on all three PVRs.  You might have better luck, but this configuration is not recommended by technical support or me.

SCENARIO 2:

Have a technician connect the 3rd PVR (using a MoCA filter).  This would allow it to run independant of other PVRs.  The 3rd PVR will not be able to see content from the other two, and vice-versa (but the other two will continue seeing each other).

Your other question:

>> With the settings for the 3rd Nextbox 3.0 could I have a repeated show that was also recorded in any of the 2 others that would remain recorded in the 3rd if someone in the family deletes theirs?

If you opt for scenario 2:

- YES, you can set the 3rd PVR to record something the other two already are.  As the 3rd PVR is independant (and can't see the other two), you won't run into any issues.

- If you delete a recorded program on PVRs 1 & 2 (existing, which see each other), the same recorded program will NOT be deleted on PVR 3.

- If you delete a recorded program on PVR 3, the same recorded program will NOT be deleted on PVRs 1 & 2.

I hope this answer makes sense - again, I confirmed with technical support that this was accurate for my area (Brampton & Mississauga). 

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@QueJoder  Just a little side note of trivia - the term "tricks" with our PVR's is not a Roger's term - it is an industry wide term - my daughter works for one of the other companies in media provision and quality control of their on demand services, and she told me recently that the word "trick" is now used by most providers in their boxes.

Just a little trivia.

Bruce

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Hello @QueJoder,

Just following up - did my last post make sense / help clear things up for you?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thank You

Very well explained, bummer the outcome ...was expecting a minimum of 3 in total home

HDPVR 3.0 NEXTBOX(ES)

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Reviewing your detailed response and comparing it to my current setup, I see something that perplexes me. Right now with 2 PVR + a HD box, the 2 PVR see each other and they both record on one of them as they are on a Whole Home setting. The HD reads all there is recorded  an the PVRs and also streams to my PC Monitor online TV and also recorded shows.

It also lets me order any recording i wish which would store on one of the PVRs

If i exchange my current HD Box for a 3rd PVR i will lose that flexibility in both of your scenarios 1 and 2. In scenario 2  I will have my independent recording on the !TB space of the 3rd PVR BUT will be unable to stream from PVRs 1 and 2. 

How come scenario 1 allows PVR 1 and 2 AND HD BOX all work together (viewing it from the perspective from HD Box) and with a better Box  e.g PVR  3 it is not possible?

So other than not having independent storage with an HD and not being able to pause stop and rewind I would be better off to stay as i am with HD box instead of the 3rd PVR.

Am i understanding this correctly?

Thank you again

Note:

I do appreciate the value of your scenario 2 having independent contro and storage over PVR 3, but there is a high cost to pay by losing the interaction with PVRs 1 and 2

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@QueJoder:

If you read post 3 of this thread, link below, you'll see that you may be able to have 3 PVRs (Within WHPVR).  It may depend on your installation/location, etc.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

Call Rogers and ask to speak to technical, rather than the regular CSR support. They should be able to advise you.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I spoke to level 1 and level 2 in Cable TV Tech support and now i think i have a clear picture:

In Scenario 1 of robin's description. You can have 3 (maybe even more) PVRs working together, under this provisasions:

You have to designate one of them as the main PVR. All recordings will be stored in the Main until the storage capacity is full, then it will start recording on storage of disk of the PVR 2. And that is the bottleneck. PVRs 3 and more will not record.

The "tricks functions" would work on all of them and all PVRs would see and read one another. PVRs do not allow for user to determine should user wanted to record certain shows on PVR 2. It goes to "main" PVR by default.

On scenario 2 -PVR 1 ('main") and PVR 2 working together under Total Home TV working together as a unit.

And then separately PVR 3 working independently as if PVR 3 was from another home. BUT and this is BIG BUT for me -at least- it has the capability of ordering recordings to PVR 3 and keeping them for as long as needed.

On the downside PVR 3 cannot read or stream to my PC monitor or TV.

All this  "in theory", next month when i replace my HD Box for the 3rd PVR what I like to call the "acid Test" or the "moment of truth" will arrive. At that point I will post the "real life" outcome of how it ends up functioning.

Thank you all that stated opinions and/or co-researched with me.