Multiple NextBox 3.0 PVRs in one home

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Multiple NextBox 3.0 PVRs in one home

Hi all. I have a question about NextBox 3.0 PVRs: can you have more than one PVR in one home?
My in laws are moving in in a couple of months and they have a 3.0 PVR and a NextBox HD terminal, while I also have a 3.0 PVR and two HD terminals.

Thanks for any assistance.

***Added Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm an Advisor

Re: Multiple NextBox 3.0 PVRs in one home

Hello @stevebirnie,

Yes - you can have another NextBox 3.0 in the home.  The Whole Home PVR system supports upto 2 PVRs, and 8 HD terminals (last I checked).

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

From the WHPVR thread over on Digital Home:

The maximum used to be 2 Cisco PVRs and 6 Cisco STBs in the WHPVR system, but it now appears you can have at least 3 PVRs - Contact Rogers for limitations at your specific installation. Stand-alone STBs or PVRs can be "outside" the WHPVR inside your home. For example you can have stand-alone SA STBs/PVRs in your home, but not incorporated into WHPVR. Or Cisco STB/PVRs beyond the number allowed inside WHPVR inside your home.

You must contact Rogers to set up WHPVR and typically a home visit is necessary to implement as well as adding equipment

I'm a Senior Advisor

The two previous replies referred to the Whole Home PVR system, where you can access PVR recordings from another STB. However, you can have any number of stand alone PVRs so long as you have authorized outlets, you just can't view content from the other PVRs from anywhere without the Whole Home system.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm Here A Lot

2 PVR's and 1 HD box whole home scenario Nextbox 3.0

Sorry, but I have seen and received some conflicting answers

My scenario is this coming from Fibe, 3 tv's could all rewind ffwd and pause live tv and access all pvr recordings

Rogers I have 1 PVR and 2 HD boxes, all can access PVR but the HD boxes can't pause and rewind live tv

SO I try to ask for a 2nd pvr to replace 1 of the HD boxes mainly to have the pause rewind features and the rep says sure and sets an appointment.  A friend says no way the 2 pvr's will be able to see each others content and HD box will only see one PVR chat rep confirmed I wouldn't be able to see each other

So here's the question, if I have 2 PVR's and 1 HD box can all of the unit's see each other's content and allow me to access PVR programs on either box???  I want to have 2 tv's that can pause rewind and record, see recorded shows, and on the less used tv just access each of the pvr's from it, don't care about pause rewind on the 3rd tv.

Trying to explain it as best I can.

Thanks

I'm Here A Lot

Can 2 PVR's see each others content and both be accessed by an HD non pvr box too if in the same whole home system?

I'm an Advisor

@icunxtime wrote:

Can 2 PVR's see each others content and both be accessed by an HD non pvr box too if in the same whole home system?

Hello @icunxtime,

Yes - both PVRs will see each others content, and your HD terminal will see both PVRs. This is the exact setup I am running now, and it works for me!

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks that's what I needed to know the Rogers reps online and on the phone were inconsistent so real world experience is what counts Smiley Happy
I'm an Advisor

No problem @icunxtime!

Be aware that two PVRs is the most you can have on your whole home network; three are not supported (you can have more, but they would run independently and not see shared content from other boxes).

Some tips:

* Stagger your scheduled recordings across both PVRs - this will optimize how many programs you can store for later playback. 

* Got a phone or tablet? Grab the Rogers "Home Edition" app from Google Play Store or the Apple App Store. You can use the app to easily set and manage recording triggers, and even find things to watch (search in app works well). You can also schedule recordings when away from the house.  

Let us know how this works out for you. 

I'm Here A Lot

Just to note this was installed on the weekend and all is working well.
I wish I could see them independently as all shows are grouped together but hey it all works!