Moving cable outlet

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Moving cable outlet

@Jenny414 wrote:
I guess I will have to find another service provider that has wireless cable then. Roger's need to find better solutions.

There are some other providers out there, which provide wireless solutions.

BUT.. may often then require up to TWO boxes then.. the MAIN one still needs to connect to wires (cable or other form) where they are located, and the REMOTE box then talks wirelessly to the main box.
(so you may be taking extra fees for extra boxes then)

But generally, in almost all cases.. any form of TV provider.. Cable (by rogers, cogeco, shaw), satalite, or newer type like Fibe, etc... all still require a WIRED connection to a base unit at minimum.

This really is less the fault of the PROVIDER (rogers, or whoever it may be), and more a fault of the builder/designer.
Older places especially, when more than one TV or location wasnt really the norm.  As the other have said, many new houses already come MORE pre wired, just in case.

Retired Moderator RogersHassam
Retired Moderator

Hi @Jenny414 

Welcome to Community 🙂 

The Rogers TechXpert group used to offer premium in-home support services that were outside the current scope of technical support. Cable fishing was one of many services that were offered. This was a fee based service and customers were invoiced seperately from their existing Rogers Bill. 

Hope this helps 🙂 

RogersHassam 

I Plan to Stick Around

Typical that blame is always on something else.

I Plan to Stick Around

You're kidding right - I'm going to do all that.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well, there isn't much choice.  If you want to move your cable outlet, there may be an easy way, and there is always the hard way.  As I indicated, you might be lucky enough to have cabling sitting in the wall available for use.  That's the easy way.  If not, you will have to call someone in to fish the wire to the location that you prefer.  That is the hard way.  No matter which way you decide to use, it will take some amount of effort to get the job done.  This situation is probably typical in a vast majority of homes, the outlets are never where you want them for some reason.  Just seems to be the way it works out.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

No one is placing the blame anywhere.
Datalink and myself, DO NOT work for rogers.. we are users just like you.

As i mentioned before, and Datalink did above... its a fact of life.. PERIOD.  That if you want it in another location, and there is not anything there.. its up to the user to do it.
There is no provider out there, which is going to do it for FREE.. its WAY to much work, they need to be insured for any damages that are done while fishing cables..

As mentioned, there is one provider which does provide wireless in a way.
But you would have to buy TWO boxes, and one be located still near a cable outlet, and be doing all the work remotely from that remote wireless box (which will give you MOST of the same functionality, but not necessarily the same as the main connected box).

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Jenny414 wrote:

Well, as you're discovering, condo "ownership" is no different fron home ownership. If you can't do something yourself, they you have to pay tradespeople to do it for you. At least you don't have to cut the grass, clear the snow, replace the roof or a bunch of other things. I don't even know what other options you have to get TV in a condo.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Jenny414 wrote:

Here's a fun experament to try..  Call your electrical utility.  Tell them you want an outlet near your lamp, and you want them to come in and install it and you don't want to pay anything extra because they already take enough of your money..  Time how long they laugh at you before they hang up.

So why do you expect Rogers to do it for nothing?

A cable outlet is the same as an electrical outlet, for which you have 3 choices...

1.  Put the appliance near the outlet

2. Rin extension cords from the outlet to your preferred placement

3.  Call an electrician and have them bust thru some walls and install a new outlet where you want it.

You have the same three options for a cable outlet.

I Plan to Stick Around

Did I say that I wanted this doen for free? NO! Did I say that I want Roger's to come and do the fishing? NO! Before you make ignorant comments try reading first! What I said was I'm going to do all that like I know what a coaxiall cable is and drilling theough walls etc..His explanation of what to do was not in layman terms nor something the average joe can do! It wasn't a solution for me when I didn't understasnd half of what he wrote. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its quite understandable that everyone is not the same technical level.

The replies of what needs to be done, is all correct though.

IF you didnt understand any of what was said, you could have asked for a different explantion.