Motorola DCX3510-M PVR on Rogers

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Motorola DCX3510-M PVR on Rogers

Hello,

I will be switching to Rogers service from Shaw due to the Shaw purchase in Hamilton. I was informed that my brand new box (DCX3510-M) that I purchased just last year will no longer work and I need to upgrade. I don't know why this needs to be done because I thought Rogers also used the DCX3510 and it was a standard. I'm a little disappointed in this. What box does Rogers use?

***Edited labels***

I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Motorola DCX3510-M PVR on Rogers

In Ontario, Rogers uses Cisco-branded boxes....the 9825 Nextbox 3.0 PVR and the 4642 Nextbox terminal.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I just gave them a call and they said they will be giving me the Motorola DCX3400 in exchange for my 3510. I said that's a stepdown from my 3510. They told me it's not. So I asked about the Nexbox but it's not available to me. What is going on here?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

What i am GUESSING.. is that the shaw conversion in that area.. it not complete, etc.

When everything is done.. likely the area will be switched over to the cisco as well.. but the rest of the infrastructure might not be set up properly for the cisco stuff yet.. so still using the moterola..

Not familiar with the models myself that are allowed, moterola wise... its POSSIBLE that one is not one of the models that is able to be provisioned on the network.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Here's something on the difference:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27758574-Motorola-DCX3400-M-vs.-DCX3510-?r=0.443259467719024

From everything I've read about the NB3, it's still buggy. Enjoy an older PVR in the meantime.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm Here A Lot

Tech came and gave me the DCX3400. The thing looks like it's been used after I was told I'll be getting a brand new unit. Scuffed and scratched up. I'm completely disappointed in this. Also you just DOWNGRADED me to a standard non-HD guide. Now I'm back to searching HD channels on the 200+ range whereas when I was on Shaw all my HD channels started with channel 3 and were all in order with beautiful show/channel graphics etc. What kind of company is this?? Unbelievable!!!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you are RENTING.. they will always come out of the rental pool.. and therefore likely used.  If someone told you otherwise, that person was wrong.
A new BOUGHT unit, thats another story... yes should be new.

Have you actually TRIED tuning into the lower channel #'s?  Do they come in SD or HD?

While i am not positive on the moterola units used out in the east (so the way you are likely set up)... with the CISCO units used in ontario...
When you tune to the lower channel... if you are on SD box.. it tunes to the SD channel.
If you have an HD box.. even if you tune to that LOWER channel, it AUTO SUBS the HD channel, so you get the HD feed.

I'm a Senior Advisor

PixelHD, if that Motorola model is no longer in production, maybe Rogers has no new unit in stock they can give you in exchange. I'm surprised they haven't tried to sell you on the new NB3. Anyway, if you have an HD box and an HD account, you should get HD.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm Here A Lot

I was not renting. My PVR was purchased at FutureShop. No scratches on the front display or anywhere on the unit. I take care of all my A/V extremely well. What really bothers me is the lady on the phone said I will be getting a BRAND NEW unit that is an UPGRADE and is better than what I have now. I don't see any of those things.

Yes I get HD channels (200+ range) but the lower channels are SD and get stretched. The guide also gets stretched on the lower channel and looks like something from 10 years ago. Horrible.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, so it looks like those units, DONT do the auto HD.  That sucks.

Your OLD one was bought.. but what about the new one?
Unless you buy the new one from retail, etc.. even if its a 'free to you' one from them.. likely from the rental pool.
Likely the person on the phone... like SOOO many of the reps.. are fairly incompetent and likely didnt know what they were talking about.  (also if they were a rep that normally deals with ontario.. may not be aware of the moterola box differences).

Unfortunately may not be much that can be done.. until HOPEFULLY that area converts over to using the cisco boxes.