Mode Not Supported message.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Mode Not Supported message.

Greetings. We just had a new Nextbox explorer 8642HD box installed. TV was running fine until we were trying to modify the aspect ratio of the screen. We were using the menu from available from the Rogers cable menu option using the Rogers remote control. I forgot exactly which mode we tried but once we chose it, we lost the signal and the Mode Not Supported message came on. We tried to turn the TV off, reboot the box, change the TV setting through the TV Menu setup interphase and even calling Rogers support but so far we have no luck in regaining the cable signal. According to the Rogers technician on the phone, by the few troubleshoots exercise we did, there is nothing wrong with the box. I check the TV and it is already on HD mode.
Can anyone help or suggest an alternate way to diagnose or fix this issue? Appreciate the help.

***Edited labels***

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Mode Not Supported message.

This may sound silly and have nothing to do with your problem but, have you checked the video source on your remote. My husband often hits the Aux, or TV button by mistake then wonders why there is no cable signal,

When you press the video source button at the bottom of the remote the Cable button at the top should blink. If it doesn't just press it.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Mode not supported though.. usually that is something that comes up.. when say the video out, is putting a RESOLUTION that is TOO high for that device to support.

My guess.. the TV itself maybe only can handle 720p?  And maybe the rogers box was set to 1080 or something similar.

Only other way i could think..other than unless the rogers support people can like factory reset it...
Would be to plug it in via the regular single RCA composite video connection... into a basic input on the TV.. and might allow enough to change the settings there?

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@jays77 wrote:
This may sound silly and have nothing to do with your problem but, have you checked the video source on your remote. My husband often hits the Aux, or TV button by mistake then wonders why there is no cable signal,

When you press the video source button at the bottom of the remote the Cable button at the top should blink. If it doesn't just press it.

You bring up a good point. Several times I've accidentally pressed the Aux button and lost my picture and had to mess around trying to get back what I was watching. I still don't know what it's supposed to do, but it's really annoying.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi. did you get a solution to this? I am having same problem and for similar reason. I have unplugged everything and plugged it back in but cannot get a picture. Can anyone please help me?

Highlighted

Hi @Debbie3

When you said you unplugged everything - did you mean you unplugged the power cable too?  If so, and the box still wouldn't show a picture, then maybe the box is remembering the (unsupported by your TV) resolution it was using before the reboot.

One, possible, attempt at a solution - if you have the NB2 (the 8642) - might be to try hooking the box up to your TV using the coaxial out of the NB to the coax in on your TV.  MAYBE that connection might default to a lower Standard Definition resolution, and once you can see the screen then you can go into the Settings, Appearance, TV Type and choose a lower resolution.

But if you have the NB3 - 9865 - this WILL NOT WORK - because the designers of the box decided we DO NOT need a coaxial cable output from the NB3.  But I assumed that the NB3 still DID have a coax out output at the time that I bought a little 19 inch TV (that weighs only 4 lbs 🙂 ) that I wanted to hook up close to my bed so that I can fall asleep listening to standup comedy or news programs - and I can see it while I'm drifting off (to skip commercials or select another program to watch - without having my 75 inch bright TV filling the room with light) - and I planned on running a 25 foot coax cable out of the PVR to the TV - but Cisco decided that NOBODY would ever need a coax output connection on the new and improved NB 3.

And I couldn't use the composite connections out of my PVR - because I'm already splitting the audio out cable several times (one to a component connection to one of several of my 3 TV's - and one split off to one of 4 pairs of cordless headphones I use)  (It's great to walk around the whole house/apt LISTENING to news or such while you're doing other things.)

So I had to spend $90 on a powered HDMI splitter and I've still got to get around to running a 25 foot HDMI cable to the little TV.  (I looked into running HDMI wirelessly - but that's too expensive.)

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi Bill

I eventually went and bought some component cables and plugged those in (so I guess that means I have the NB2? - if so - THANK GOODNESS!!!!) It worked as it defaulted to a non-HDMI setting allowing me to access the menu to set my TV back to 720. I even had Samsung on the pohne and they coudl not help me. Rogersa insusted it was nto their NB that was at fault - but if that menu and change is only availabvble via their NB then I think it is their issue. Anyway  they could nto help and wanted a feee to "look" - but based on thei teplephonic support it wasn't hard to guess they woudl nto be able to fix it!

Amazing how edgy one can get (me LOL) without TV for 2 days.....Not that I watch that much, btu I rely on t for weather in winter 

Thanks for your help

Highlighted

Hi @Debbie3  (actually, it's the coaxial type cable that the NB3 doesn't have coming out of the box - but both NB2 and NB3 have component out).

I understand not having TV for weather forcasts.  I CANNOT IMAGINE going outside without first checking CP24 to show me the temp and wind and short term forecast - and that's despite the fact that I have several outdoor thermometers with displays indoors.

Maybe it's because I spent 14 years in Toronto pulling a rickshaw all winter long - but I want to know very precisely how cold it is, and what the wind chill is, etc. - BEFORE I go out.  It makes all the difference in the world to how I will dress and prepare for it.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That's strange that the Netbox will continue to broadcast in an unsupported resolution to your TV without having some kind of "revert" setting by default. Other providers have it in such a way that when you select the resolution you want, you get either a valid picture (works) or a black screen (resolution not supported) but the box should be smart enough to detect no activity for 15 seconds and revert back to the former resolution, otherwise you need to invoke a "save" command to ensure your monitor can actually view the resolution.

Not good In my humble opinion to not include this type of basic check

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I totally agree!