Missed X-Files?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Missed X-Files?

Anybody who watches a regular show on Sunday night after football or other live sports events - if that show is on the same channel as the sports events and regularly records these shows on their PVR KNOWS that football VERY OFTEN goes late - and the phenomenon of getting half an hour of football and ONLY the first half of your show recorded is WAY TOO familiar an experience.

I recorded the news on the same channel as The X-Files after The X-Files - so I only missed about 30 seconds of the show during the time that one recording stopped and the delay while the box was 'thinking' before it recorded the following recording.

This is the sort of thing that demonstrates that the TV networks have NO RESPECT for the majority of their customers.  The only thing that seems to matter to them are white male football fans.  Everybody else doesn't seem to be important to them.

But because this is such a frequent occurrence - PVR software SHOULD be written that would automatically figure things out and be smart enough to record even delayed programs.  Don't tell me that technology doesn't exist to make this possible.  There simply hasn't been enough angry response to the broadcasters disrespecting their customers so much to cause a fix for this issue.

Maybe - now - with thie premier show being missed by SO MANY PEOPLE - finally - the issue will be talked about enough that maybe SOME people will demand a change in the way network TV distributes TV programming.

But this highlights the fact that PVR's SHOULD be SMARTER.  The technology exists to make our lives MUCH easier - IF and only if the cable companies CHOOSE to implement it for us.

How should PVR's be smarter - and TV distribution as well?

1)  Every TV program should have a unique identifying number.  The premiere of The X-Files could be, for example, 2925GA20414AA.  You will never actually have to see this number, but it will be attached to the first show of the new series (behind the scenes) - and if the show is delayed - your PVR would AUTOMATICALLY delay the recording to catch the whole show.

2) Your PVR would be able to use this unique identifier to tell you in a deeper information screen about the program when this show is playing again, when it has played in the past - and IF you have ALREADY WATCHED THIS EPISODE.  I don't know about you - and how great your memories are - especially when series of shows run for years - but I would like clear descriptions in my TV guide about what season and episode is ACTUALLY playing tonight - because it would be easy to include this information - and it would make our lives much simpler.  And your PVR could remind you if you've watched a show before.

3) Your PVR - remembering what shows you've watched - could also give you a simple and quick way to rate these shows.  Such ratings could be available to other users as an aggregate so you know in the future whether people think this show is highly rated or not.

4) And your PVR should highlight the next episode of a series you are watching - and CLEARLY point out this recording in your search results and zero in on it for you and mark it as a priority.

TV's are now smart enough that you should be able to instantly get more information on the show you are watching.  You should be able to CLEARLY see who stars in the show - and get all the details instantly available at your fingertips.  The technology IS now available.  It should be implemented.  THIS technology ACTUALLY WOULD improve your viewing experience.

And I mention the ability to get this extra information because I find it ESSENTIAL to the way I watch TV.  I want to know what's going on.  I don't want to miss anything.  And the way I accomplish this NOW - is by spending at least 95% of the time that I watch TV ALSO surfing the internet AT THE SAME TIME.

Some of you may wonder how you can do this yourselves.  Well I have two big screens beside each other - and one is attached to my computer, and the other to my PVR.  And when I'm spending approximately half an hour every day searching through the TV listings to figure out what I want my PVR to record that evening - I spend a fair amount of time searching IMDB (Internet Movie Data Base) to find who stars in shows (especially movies) and get summaries of the plot, and to see movie trailers - and most importantly - to find out the series and episode number and see when the show FIRST airs on regular TV.    This info is clearly listed on IMDB.   IMDB.com

I've also just started using a program I recently discovered to 'remind' me when shows are on.  I've told the program which shows I want to follow - and it lists each day what shows are on (although it seems to focus on when those shows play in the US - some shows are a little different than in Canada):  tvshowtime.com

And with lots of new shows starting - I've been carefully examining this website:  metacritic.com/feature/tv-premiere-dates

And - of course - there are websites that show TV listings.

What websites do you guys follow for TV listings and other sources of info on shows?

I'm a Senior Advisor

@billmcintyre I agree with you 100%. I'm quite familiar with CBS stick-and-ball sports running long and messing up Sunday night programs, so I always manually schedule the 2 shows I don't want to miss by basically recording everything from 7 p.m. until after the 11 o'clock news. I was suspicious when CTV (and Fox) had a football game preceding X-Files and also recorded the News afterwards to be safe, and I guessed correctly. I'm not sure if the technology exists to pick up programs and record them based on an identifier no matter when they start and end due to unforeseen circumstances, but that's something Rogers and their PVR partner should look into instead of playing around with useless, dysfunctional gimmicks like Navigatr.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Senior Advisor

@jays77 wrote:
Networks traditionally put "big" shows after major sports hoping to capture the large audience.
In any case, last nights episode can be seen Friday at 9pm or 1am Sunday on the Space channel.

Space Channel, of course! Hope that helps people who missed it because they went to bed not guessing their scheuled recording would get mesed up by football. But I'm not sure NFL fand would be in the least interested in X-Files. Smiley Frustrated

I've Been Here Awhile

Set X-Files and News following to record.  Should have recorded 10pm-11pm and 11pm-12am.  Instead I got 10pm-11pm and 11:36pmto12am.

Thanks Rogers.  When I DL the torrwnt don't bother sending me the cease and decist letter from Fox.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@user2016 Let me guess, Nextbox and Navigatr. I did it by recording the News after X-Files and overlapping by a minute so as not to miss anything. This old SA8300HD technology is accurate and reliable. Or I could have scheduled X-Files to record from the Guide and just extended it for 1/2 an hour or more and got it all in one recording.

I've Been Here Awhile

Yes, Resident Expert, I should have recorded X-Files with extra time.  Bad choice on my part to record the show after X-Files.  The ghost in my machine only recorded the final 24 minutes of the show after The X-Files.  I have a 36 minute gap between recordings.  Maybe the machine rebooted 5 times.  Or maybe there is a government conspiracy preventing me from watching a show about government conspiracies. 

I'm a Regular

First off not eveyone subscribes to SPACE. Some can't afford it and the hundreds of un-watched channels that go with it. Not that there is anything abnormal about spending more than you can afford on our beloved TV viewing.

You should all be very circumspect about your opinions here because as you know, the new TVs have built-in cameras that relay your fist-shaking activity and shouted obscenities directly to Big Brother. We wouldn't want to do anything to impact our monthly chocolate ration which, thanks to Big Brother, has decreased by only 2.3% since the same time last year.Smiley Wink

I'm a Senior Advisor

I'm amazed that it's not on ROD now. All there is is Season 1, episodes 1 and 2.  I you missed it and don't have Space, all that's left is CTV on the Internet, or a torrent. Certainly a miss-step by the network to place the first episode in such a vulnerable time slot with no repeats.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

@OLDYELLR wrote:

I'm amazed that it's not on ROD now. All there is is Season 1, episodes 1 and 2.  I you missed it and don't have Space, all that's left is CTV on the Internet, or a torrent. Certainly a miss-step by the network to place the first episode in such a vulnerable time slot with no repeats.

I just checked it out and that is the new series.  It is just (mis)labeled as Season 1

I'm a Senior Advisor

Well, so it is! I guess the original 9 seasons was before there even was a ROD.  Oddly, Ep 1 is shows as 23 minutes and "available until 1/24/2016" and I get an error when I select it, but Ep 2 is intact and watchable. It looks like ROD just got a partial recording of Ep 1 because of the football game, just like people who tried to record it, but in this case it won't even play.