Missed X-Files?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Regular

Missed X-Files?

Wonder how many folks set their PVRs to record the big X-Files premier last night and wound up seeing useless American football taking up almost the entire hour Navigatr scheduled for the broadcast? Major bummer. Shows major flaw in this system.

***Edited Labels***

I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Missed X-Files?

I didn't miss it because I know the American stick-and-ball games all too well from Sunday nights on CBS when I record 60 Minutes and The Good Wife.  I just record everything until well after the 11 o'clock news. I had X-Files scheduled from the Guide and started watching the recording about 20 minutes after it had started so I can skip commercials and saw right away it started 24 minutes late, so I just scheduled the News right after it with a minute overlap so I don't miss anything. But I feel sorry for people went to bed because they had to get up early and found they'd recorded only half the episode.  Even recording on the Vancouver channel wouldn't have helped in this case because the football and X-Files were in real time. This is where PVRs should be "smart" enough to record the actual delayed show instead of the garbage running overtime.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Senior Advisor

My daughter just set her PVR and went to bed, so would have missed the last half. If she can't find it on her Android box, I'll have to burn her a DVD before I delete it.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

And unfortunately.. there is nothing ROGERS in the end can do about this either..

They post the guide, as things are SUPOSED to air.

If a particular network.. their broadcasting goes over, etc..  its that networks fault.

Could rogers LAST MINUTE try and update the guide to fix it?
Possibly.. but would then force a download (and then possible reboot) at that time, etc.

I'm a Senior Advisor

These sports events have been around for many decades and it's a foregone conclusion they'll always run long and then get dragged out even longer with chit-chat. I notice that on CBS they often reschedule regular programming by 1/2 an hour or even an hour, which gets picked up by the Rogers Guide, but sometimes even that isn't enough.  Yes, it's the networks' fault. Maybe they should push back regular programming by an additional 1/2 hour and fill the gap with sports trivia or something. THere are an awful lot of people recording shows and getting short changed.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

THAT i do agree on..

The networks need to be a little smarter with their programming.. push stuff out, and do their regular start later..

I mean.. who would put the premier of a BIG show, after something thats more than likely going to get delayed..
Do a different day, different timeslot, etc.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Cap07

Its not only Rogers. Go check out Bell, Telus and also some American networks and u will see they ALL had the same issue last night. It seems the broadcaster did not announce that the game would be late and caused this issue. The developers can't do much unless they would cut off the game and cause a uprawr at the end.
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Gdkitty yes, a tough decision for the network, placing the debut episode at 10 p.m. on Sunday night, a day before the series itself on Monday.  Only they know why they did that instead of just on Monday.

I'm a Regular

Not an NFL fan. Baseball yes. Rugby in pads and space-helmets no. Panders to Americans new found love of team violence. Anyway I managed to get CTV Videos to work for once and watched the episode (without commercials!) a few minutes ago. Thanks.

P.S. Not like X-Files debut was a nothing event even compared to the all-mighty NFL. Advertised for months. What really ticked me off is running all that post-game blah-blah-blah with these talking heads. Who cares really? Even American football fans must turn that stuff off, eh.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Networks traditionally put "big" shows after major sports hoping to capture the large audience.
In any case, last nights episode can be seen Friday at 9pm or 1am Sunday on the Space channel.