Mass Confusion over Rogers DTA50

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Mass Confusion over Rogers DTA50

Man SadOkay..first..I have a Explorer 8300HD with Rogers running in my living room..if I buy a DTA50 box outright...can I send signals spliced from that one unit to 4 other TVs in my house..and is there a monthly charge? How much? Or how do I have TV signal in the other 4 rooms..if that does not work..I need a easy answer. Thanks...Big-Questions.jpg

Solved! Go to Solution.
Retired Moderator RogersArthur
Retired Moderator

Re: Mass Confusion over Rogers DTA50

Hi @Mikeej8,

Thank you for your post, if you're looking to use the Rogers Digital Adapter DTA50 to send the incoming cable signal to four other TV's, you'll need what's known as a Splitter/Distribution Amp. Because a slitter box is not something we recommend or provide the information on set-up maybe limited. As far as the additional fees, this would depend on the type of plan you have.

Hope this helps.

RogersArthur

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have the following comments, which may or may not be accurate now:

1. The DTA50 is "rented" (supplied) by Rogers at no charge to their customers who need them for TVs that don't already have a digital STB on them.  They must be returned when you are no longer a Rogers customer.

2. I don't believe you can purchase these DTAs.  If someone has a DTA for sale on the web, it is likely "stolen" and would likely not work properly at your location.  These must be supplied by Rogers and activated on your account by Rogers.

3. The DTA50 only has an RF-coax output, which is SD, not HD.  Not too many people are satisfied with SD these days since most people have HDTVs.

4.  I cannot imagine a reason to connect a single STB/DTA to 4 TVs.  If you have a reason, please advise. The same channel would show on all 4 TVs, in SD.

5.  The DTA cannot tune the same number of channels that a STB can. It only tunes the channels that used to be analogue - typically the channels 1-120 or so...

6. The DTA is designed to be used where someone used to have analogue channels fed directly to their TV via RF-coax.  The DTA now tunes those (formerly analogue) channels which are now digital.  It doesn't function the same way that a STB would (no on-demand, no IPG, etc) and certainly doesn't provide HD.

7. If you have 4 HDTVs, you'd need four HD STBs/PVRs for those TVs, or a Whole Home PVR setup with at least 1 PVR (at one TV) and HDSTBs at the other TVs which could watch recordings from the PVR.  You would need to rent/purchase these STBs/PVRs from Rogers, an authorized distributor, or used from a customer in good standing with Rogers.

I Plan to Stick Around

Smiley IndifferentHi there...hmm..so if I did get the DTA50..I could split the signal to 4 other tvs(students rooms) ..but here is the question, do they have to watch what is coming off the DTA50 in a all the four other rooms,or can

they use their own TV remote to change channels in each room differently? So, you are saying it will split...???

Thanks MJ

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As mentioned in my item 4, all TVs will be watching the same channel since the same signal is sent downstream of the DTA.  The TV cannot tune the channel because it would be on channel 3 to receive the signal from the DTA, which is now the tuner.  The same would hold true for any STB/PVR connected to 4 TVs.  You need 4 STBs (DTA, STB or PVR) - one for each TV in order to view different channels on the 4 TVs.

I Plan to Stick Around

Smiley FrustratedThats what I thought...sadly I cant justify spending all that money and with Rogers ...Im getting rid of them now even with what I have..its on to a rooftop HDTV antenna with amp on it..if even 6 to 10 channels come in,in un compressed HD..and free..Im happy..Rogers has shot itself in the foot with many people..greed has finally killed it for me..thanks for your help...