Making News Channels Available in HD format

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Making News Channels Available in HD format

Now that Fox News Channel is in Full HD on both Cable and Ignite,  let me make a suggestion for the rest of the News channels on Rogers services that are not yet HD.

Here's a list of other news channels carried by Rogers that aren't in HD yet:

CNBC (on both Ignite and Cable), BBC World News (Cable), Al Jazeera English (Cable), RT aka Russia Today (on both Cable and Ignite), CNN International (on both Cable & Ignite),  EuroNews English (on both Cable & Ignite), BBC World News (Cable), DW News English (Cable) & CGTN News (on both Cable & Ignite).

*The cable and ignite labels I put beside each channel listed are the service or services where the Channel is only being carried on SD rather than HD. Some of the channels I listed are carried in HD on Ignite.

If we're going to champion Rogers for putting on Fox News HD after years of consumer demand on the forums and what-not and encouraging diverse news, opinions and views from "left and right", why not work towards getting these ones in HD? Smiley Happy

Also, since I saw a user named basilvasiliou suggest the addition of Fox Business Network, I shall also suggest the addition of France 24 English, One America News Network,  Sky News International, NHK World TV & CGTN Documentary.

These channels I listed are eligible to be carried in Canada, according to the official CRTC list of non-Canadian programming services and stations that are authorized:

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/publications/satlist.htm

(Note that CGTN is still labeled as "CCTV English News" and CGTN Documentary as "CCTV 9 Documentary" on that list for some reason even though both channels switched their names back at the end of 2016).

Being that the original discussion board topic was about the addition of an HD feed of a particular news channel so I kept that list sort-of on topic with the possible addition of HD feeds of existing News channels on Rogers services and suggestions for other international news channels that are allowed to be in Canada but aren't on Rogers.

And by the way, this is my first post here. Let me know if I messed up anything. I wasn't sure where else to post this other than here, since it's kinda on topic with the addition of other news channels since Fox News Channel is HD on Rogers now.

**Labels Added**

I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Making News Channels Available in HD format

I strongly concur.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have nothing against adding any channels in HD, etc.

And its probably not anything to do if its allowed to be be or not either.

In a lot of cases it has to do with $$.

Any provider, if they dont own the channel themselves.. it costs $$ for them to buy the channel.
This is not always a small amount either.  (Just look at some of the $$ AMC has been rumored to ask)

In some of these cases.. depending on the #s that they have of the amount of people that are actually watching it.. it may not be worth the $ for them to invest in it?

I Plan to Stick Around

You can also add CTV News Network, The Weather Network and MétéoMédia for those who live in New-Brunswick and many non-news channel too, we are far behind Ontario when it come to channels available in HD.

I Plan to Stick Around

I guess I will put my 2cents worth in here. Some of what is said is erroneous, but most is fairly accurate. First of all, BBC World and Al Jazeera are definitely available already in HD  but only on the Ignite platforms. RT news also can be watched in full HD on Youtube using the app on Ignite. Euronews and CGTN  have HD feeds but Rogers doesn't seem to want to offer them that way for whatever the reason. CNBC does not provide a Canadian HD feed at all, so that's not Rogers doing. Now France 24, Sky News  and Fox Business Net should be offered by Rogers, especially Fox Business, as they are approved by the CRTC for Canadian carriage. Bell carries France 24 and Sky News I believe already, while France 24 is also available on Youtube for free in HD . I think we're covered here. 

I Plan to Stick Around

@andrew9446

"First of all, BBC World and Al Jazeera are definitely available already in HD  but only on the Ignite platforms."

You're right on that, I mentioned that the channels were only in SD on the Cable Digital TV platform in my thread starter.

"RT news also can be watched in full HD on Youtube using the app on Ignite. Euronews and CGTN  have HD feeds but Rogers doesn't seem to want to offer them that way for whatever the reason."

1st one is correct, I forgot Ignite has YouTube. As for Euronews and CGTN, I am aware of their HD feeds, which is why I mentioned in my list post that they were SD only on both Digital Cable TV and Ignite platforms. I'm not aware of any Canadian service carrying either channel in HD. I could be wrong.

"CNBC does not provide a Canadian HD feed at all, so that's not Rogers doing."

Ah, good to know it's not the providers' fault for CNBC being SD only.

"Now France 24, Sky News  and Fox Business Net should be offered by Rogers, especially Fox Business, as they are approved by the CRTC for Canadian carriage."

You're right. And also CGTN Documentary since Bell Fibe also offers this channel (not in HD though).

"Bell carries France 24 and Sky News I believe already, while France 24 is also available on Youtube for free in HD . I think we're covered here. "

From what I can tell, Bell Fibe only carries the French version of France 24 (and only in SD), but yeah the English version can be easily seen for free.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/France_24

I also couldn't find Sky News on Fibe. The only Sky related channel Fibe carries is the Canadian version of Sky TG24, which in turn is the Italian version of Sky News. As of December 2016 though, the channel rebranded itself as "Mediaset TGCOM 24", and no longer carries programming from the aforementioned Sky channel. Mediaset TGCOM 24 is carried by Rogers by the way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediaset_TGCOM_24_(Canada)

I Plan to Stick Around

An update to this thread:

I found out a few days ago via my relatives that the Canadian version of CNBC does have an HD feed, as I’ve seen it on Bell Fibe channel 1509. Must be a new thing.

Now if Rogers can add that that’d be great.
I Plan to Stick Around

Actually, I just found this out myself. Bell Fibe just added CNBC HD about a week ago. It wasn't available before that.

I hope Rogers is listening here.

I Plan to Stick Around

Ok, this is new. I just noticed that Rogers has just added CNBC HD to the Ignite Tv lineup. Well , someone must have been listening.

I Plan to Stick Around

Ignite looks to me nothing more than an expensive solution looking for a problem.