MSNBC - HD?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

MSNBC - HD?

Any ETA when this station will be offered in HD?  2016?  2017?  2020?  2030?  

Actually as it is the most used station, definitely a factor switching our service to a competitor.

Merci

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Re: MSNBC - HD?

Hi @User1410762

Welcome to the Community!

At this time we have no updates on when MSNBC would be available in HD on our network. However you're more than welcome to share your suggestions here.

Thank you,

RogersZia

I'm a Senior Advisor

Question:

As a result of going digital, there is a lot more bandwith now available. What is the reason for more channels not being available in HD?

Does it cost Rogers more for an HD feed as opposed to SD?

Are some channels simply too poor to afford HD (like my local Rogers channel)?

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I Plan to Stick Around

My first HDTV purchase was Aug/13 and that was when I asked Rogers when MSNBC would be HDTV and I got the same answer.  That and a number of other stations are not HD.  

+1 Fibe TV - I don't know if they have more HD channels in total (including fringe) than Rogers, but for the ones as a VIP I get with Rogers, 100% they have more HD channels.

Plus the added bonus is a horrific channel line-up.  Back in the old days (I will be nice) our original provider Classicom in Richman's Hill followed by Shaw followed by Rog all randomly decided to change the channel lineup on the old analogue menu.  Now with digital that has happened ONCE in over a decade.   500 series is a royal MESS.  300 series is a mix of SD and HD (I think Showcase?)

+2 Fibe TV - they have a lovely setup - SD channels below 1000 and the HD equivalent "1 + same SD channel#" (e.g. 333=SD; 1333=HD version).  

(PSST - You mean a firmware update CANNOT help exceed 3 digit channels with Rogers?  Gosh.)

Plus the new Nextbox guide.  My wife uses the Nextbox PVR exclusively and I am hearing nothing but complaints - then I go to use the LISTING and it doesn't even offer page up/page down - how lame.  

-1 Rogers  (BONUS: -2 Cisco for trying to emulate Netflix - you can't cuz it isn't)

Rogers VIP users don't get the US West Coast Network feeds included - have to pay.  Ridiculous.

-1 Rogers

The one thing that is a positive (see I am nice!) with the Nextbox is the 8 tuners.  Most probably don't get it - "when would I ever record 8 shows at once?" - but that isn't the point.  Some stations bleed - either before or after the time.  If you set the time +5m that locks the tuner.  Fibe only offers 3HD and 1SD tuner.  If you are using all 4 tuners, and you bleed, you won't get that extra 5m since all tuners will be used up.  The extra tuners elminates the worry of running out.  Simple as that.

+¼ Rogers

At any rate, it is what it is.  Will have to see what March 1st will bring - maybe that is the time I switch providers with Bell and Rogers roll out the new plans.  I wish Fibe wasn't tied to having their internet - I prefer choice - and that equals Rogers Cable being the only Rogers service I have.  Hoping for my IPTV.  

Tired of suggesting and surveying and smiling.  Rogers should have had MSNBC in HD along with the other 5 or so stations years ago - ZERO QUESTIONS ASKED.  Little things like that are what make me want to leave you.

(PS: I am not a cheap skate either - Rogers makes $140+tax a month off me with the packages/terminals and I only watch Judge Judy at dinner ... but trust me - no MSNBC HD - which my wife watches exclusively - that $140 is smoldering in my pocket).

I've Been Here Awhile

I just added Rogers to our new home, and Im considering switching back to Bell coz MSNBC is in lame SD

I Plan to Stick Around

Since it seems this topic hasn't been visited in some time, I'd like to ask the same question again.  

Is there any timeframe yet for when MSNBC will be offered in HD?  If not, is there any reason it can't or shouldn't be?  Since it's already being offered by Rogers in SD, and since the HD version is available from other sources, it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense that Rogers wouldn't want upgrade too.

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums @lar2d2,

I definitely prefer HD too. As of now we have no update on if/when MSNBC would be available in HD on the Rogers Network. We will definitely update the Community if there is an announcement in the future Smiley Happy. Please stay tuned.

RogersZia

I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers just wants you to disregard channels like this and upgrade / subscribe to 4K TV.  

Wife constantly complaining about the 3AM updates (was 2AM) and the occasional forced reboot hiccups of the NextBox.  Still considering to switch to Fibe - the only concern is that I am not watching TV like I used to and it is a bit more money. Wondering if the Coneheads in Ottawa will do anything about "a la carte" pricing like preventing cable companies from bundling HBO with that other non sense.

Imagine two channels that are on 80% of the time - HBO (HD) and MSNBC (SD).  Good old Rogers.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks.  I appreciate your taking the time to say hello and responding to my question.  

I was hoping that since it's been well over a year since this was originally brought up that there'd be a little more information available by now.  I appreciate that you might not have anything additional at this time, but it would be good if you could pose the question to someone at Rogers who might be able to shed some light on it.

I've Been Here Awhile

I too am considering going back to bell. The Next boxes are noisy, and they take forever to reboot. I have a $K receiver, but it still only show MSNBC in SD
Topic Stats