MSNBC - HD?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: MSNBC - HD?

Just wanted to take a moment to say a big thanks to Rogers.  I turned to MSNBC today and lo and behold, it's now in HD!  Since I was one of those who had been asking about this, maybe pestering is a better word, now that it's here, I thought it was only fair that I take a moment to say thank-you Rogers.  I'm very pleased to see this.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The picture quality (of channel 185?) is obviously not HD. Although it fills the screen, the incoming resolution is 480 x 528.  It's not even 480 x 720 AFD.

I Plan to Stick Around

Yeah.  I realized that after I posted.  I was so happy to see the image filling the screen that I didn't look too closely.  I don't understand why Rogers is doing this unless it's a sign that they're making the change though, and maybe something messed up.  I noticed that Fox is now in HD too . I don't watch it too often so I don't when that happened.  It was SD the last time I saw it.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@lar2d2 wrote:

I noticed that Fox is now in HD too . I don't watch it too often so I don't when that happened.  It was SD the last time I saw it.

A month ago:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Fox-News-HD/m-p/421426#M46072

I've Been Here Awhile

I noticed the MSNBC change this morning but was puzzled that the picture wasn't particularly clear. I'm disappointed that we still don't have hd on this channel.

I've Been Here Awhile

Like other people here, I was happy to see MSNBC use the full screen.  But it's clear (or, not so clear) that Rogers has zoomed the standard definition signal to fit the screen.   I could have done that with my TV settings.  

Rogers...do you think your subscribers wouldn't notice?    It's no big surprise that people are moving to "cut the cord".

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

I'm not subscribed to MSNBC, so I can't see this.  Personally I prefer zooming SD content to fill the screen because I sit about 12 feet from my 55" UHD TV while the ideal distance would be half that.  

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I Plan to Stick Around

The channel is zoomed in SD, not HD. I caught it tonight watching Rachel - yet was blurry as every.

Maybe it is a baby step. Maybe they had to do something to make it fill the screen. Maybe the next step is flipping a switch and showing HD.

Or maybe it is to placate boobs who have no idea what they are watching anyways, on their 60" HDTV.

I am neither a boob nor placated. It is about time to complain and get a reduction on my bill since I don't see any improvement "a comin'".

I've Been Around

I too thought at first that Rogers had FINALLY given us MSNBC in HD.  Then, I noticed video artifacts all over the screen, generally fuzzy images.   Tried to change video settings on my Nextbox and then on my Samsung TV to set it back to the smaller size, but found no way to do that. Am not only disappointed.  Am annoyed.  Bad Rogers!   Bad dog!   Did you really think this would fool us?   Shows a disturbing lack of regard for your customers.  

Retired Moderator RogersCilio
Retired Moderator

Hey y'all!   

Good news! Starting on July 11, 2018, we’ll be launching MSNBC in high definition (HD). With HD, the picture on the screen is clearer, less fuzzy and the text is easier to read. To enjoy the full HD experience we recommend watching the channel on an HD set-top box attached to an HDTV. There is no additional cost for HD if customers subscribe to the standard definition (SD) version of the channel.

Customers can see MSNBC HD on channel 1503 in New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Quebec. In Ontario (excl. Hamilton) customers can tune to 185 to view the HD channel, and Hamilton-Mountain customers can see the HD feed on channel 488. 

Kind Regards!

RogersCilio