MSNBC - HD?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: MSNBC - HD?

@wayner92 wrote:

@OLDYELLR - Your post is (1) factually incorrect, and (2) inappropriate political commentary for a forum discussing cable TV.

Inappropriate for this forum perhaps, but factually correct. Everything that affects us has political roots.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Contributor

@wayner92

Actually, @OLDYELLR's comment has much merit to it. A perfect example was Sun News Network which was never given a fair shake by the CRTC and were always faced with fighting a losing battle. You might not have agreed with their news slant, but then again, nobody was ever forced to watch. As for inappropriate political commentary, what about the comment "with things heating up for Trump World and Rachel Maddow doing such an engaging job reporting"? Seems to me that there is some political bias right there. I would much rather see FOX news in HD than MSNBC considering that CNN is already in HD for those who want that side of things.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

We have a thread for these political discussions. Let's keep them there and leave these other threads on topic?

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Community-Lounge/Fox-News-why-not-full-HD/td-p/415811/page/3

I Plan to Stick Around

I agree.  This isn't about politics, it's about HD availability.  If Fox is potentially available in HD, by all means Rogers should offer it as well as MSNBC HD as far as I'm concerned.  It's Rogers' unwillingness to make the effort to offer what's available that I'd be quibbling with.  

I'm a Senior Advisor

I agree American politics has no place on a Canadian cable TV discussion board. Trump is the president they voted for and the losers really hate him and have been making a big deal of it in the media. Nothing to do with Canada, but his bone-headed move on tariffs just now has even got Americans upset. Enough politics.

I Plan to Stick Around

The discussion started with the ask for MSNBC in HD which is available on Bell Fibe on their ‘Best’ package. As far as I can see FOX News is only available in SD at both Rogers and Bell.

I personally have no interest in Fox but I’m getting tired of waiting for Rogers to get its act together and provide at least the same HD channels Bell offers. It is a big deal since pricing is very similar.
I'm a Senior Contributor

@lar2d2

Of course you and @57 are both correct.  The problem is, that as news stations, Fox News and MSNBC are on opposite sides of the news spectrum and it is difficult to ignore their different slants on the news. My only point was that @OLDYELLR was unfairly criticized. I agree though that the SD channels need to be eliminated and replaced with HD and that is all on Rogers. People will always have the freedom to watch what they want and that is how it always should be. 

I'm a Senior Advisor

I would not say SD channels should be eliminated, because of all the older and smaller TVs out there that can only display SD, or can't tune the higher channels. With 999 channels, many of them duplicates, you don't need to cut SD channels to accommodate their HD versions.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR wrote:

I would not say SD channels should be eliminated, because of all the older and smaller TVs out there that can only display SD, or can't tune the higher channels. With 999 channels, many of them duplicates, you don't need to cut SD channels to accommodate their HD versions.

While I would normally agree with this statement, It has been the opposite case for some of Roger's competitors which I will not name.

They (The Competitors)  sell their Set Top box as an HD box, which also has SD outputs for clients with older television sets.  Some channels ONLY broadcast in HD such as Smithsonian (Formerly Equater) HIFI, Lovenature and BBC Earth, and to get these channels with the competition you can use their SET Top Box, which supports both SD and HD.

But the problem is if you were to order these on Rogers, Rogers billing system might be able to take the order and charge you for it but the rep might not be aware you have SD only hardware in your home and you wont be able to tune into it, resulting in a call back, a manager escalation, then an appology from them that they should not have sold you the channels because there was no note on their internal system to check your equiptment list first and determine if you have sd only equiptment resulting in them reversing the charges and some protation on your bill and one angry customer.  Trust me, it happens.

I've Been Here Awhile

Would really like MSNBC as it is available on GOGECO & BELL.  C’mon guys, get with it.